Ok, who is new on Holly's coaching staff?

Yep, that was my plan. I'd join in 2010 just so I could wait for this precise moment to make my move. Unreal the mindset of some of these responders to threads. I was watching and a fan of Tennessee sports when you were crapping yellow. So save me the lecture. If you don't see the difference in coaching and team play, that's on you! So, a legitimate question of who is different on the coaching staff is in order.

First of all, save the "save me the's" for someone else. If you're as avid a LV fan as you claim to be you wouldn't be on here questioning who is new on staff. Those of us that have followed the team through thick and thin knew that both Reaves and Gordon could potentially be great for the product we put on the floor. It's looking good so far and we just beat the 2nd ranked team loaded with former HS AA's and experienced upperclassmen. Of the 7 that played tonight 4 of them are newcomers. Their success is a result of better recruiting and better fit with the coaching staff. Our coaches don't have to play therapists to certain players constantly and can just coach and motivate... something that hasn't been the case the last two years.

Save me the over defensive horse crap response too.

Reactions: 9 people
Word: LOCKWOOD. If you observed the timeout huddles; HE was more involved than Holly. And That's JUst The Truth; Like It Or Not.

What are u trying to say? Lockwood is Holly's assistant right? so he did what he's hires for. Enjoy to win & stop all these Rubbish!

Reactions: 1 person
Then like me, you also remember the comments that Summitt needed to go, couldn't win the big ones pre 87 right? Yep same crap then too and see where sticking with her got us. John Adams wrote about 4 of them back when coverage of Lady Vols was spotty at best. I was a kid and bought donuts from the team at my door on sunday and would read that in the sunday paper. I remembering asking my Dad why someone would write that about Summitt. My Dad said some people are just miserable...they want company so they try to spread their negitive nature. It still pisses me off he still has a job and writes hatchet articles. Some people are only happy when everyone is upset and unhappy too

No, never do I recall such articles. It must of been one idiotic journalist, and the total of those has multiplied over the years. I think you misremember. Your dad should have been more honest with you. During those years Pat Summitt was revered as a dominant figure in women's basketball. She won coach of the year in 84. She was never in danger of losing her job. Women's basketball had just began to be popular in 80s late 70s. We had a great coach and Tennessee knew it. Don't compare the two careers! It's a disservice to Pat.

Did anybody see reavea tell dean we need to make subs and how she reacted after green got a couple baskets I was mad we could not get kd mins but I think holly thought the game was too psychical

The Lady Vols played sloppy at times, but executed some crucial plays during times of pressure and intensity. We also appeared more determined and tougher than I've ever seen under Holly. We had some bad calls go against us, Texas was within a basket multiple times, and I enjoyed the response by attacking the rim and being aggressive. Defense needs improvement at times, but I am pleased at what I saw. She is either improving as a coach, or has hired some assistants that are making a difference. Anyway, Go Lady Vols!

We have to remember that we are starting two Freshmen and sometimes 3 freshmen. They are going to make mistakes. We also have a new player that spells Russell. Today Green did a great job. At this point I would say this team is ahead of schedule.

Reactions: 2 people
Listen all you sunshine pumpers!! She landed a butt load of players this off season! She better be winning with that talent. But the success so far this year does not eliminate the horrible product she put on the floor the past 2+ seasons.

Reactions: 3 people
I give a lot of credit to the freshman with there no loose attitude. It's very evident that Holly has matured also. This team with the senior leadership is going places.

Listen all you sunshine pumpers!! She landed a butt load of players this off season! She better be winning with that talent. But the success so far this year does not eliminate the horrible product she put on the floor the past 2+ seasons.

It’s evident why we had the product of the past 2 seasons

When there is internal friction and you’re trying to coach and manage that it’s easy for things to take a wrong turn.

When the internal friction and the Me, Me, Me is eliminated and the team can focus on the We, We, We this is the outcome!

Chemistry plays a major role to the success of any great team and without it, it is tough to win!

Reactions: 4 people
Word: LOCKWOOD. If you observed the timeout huddles; HE was more involved than Holly. And That's JUst The Truth; Like It Or Not.

Who Dean; the coach many on this board contend can't de develop post players; doesn;t know the game and so on.

But okay, when the team was struggling, it is always ALL Holly's fault and when the team is going well, it MUST be someone else's doing.

So tiresome....

Reactions: 9 people

When there is internal friction and you’re trying to coach and manage that it’s easy for things to take a wrong turn.

When the internal friction and the Me, Me, Me is eliminated and the team can focus on the We, We, We this is the outcome!

Chemistry plays a major role to the success of any great team and without it, it is tough to win!

Bingo on your post mlindsay! Hard to fathom that some negavol breaks out the sunshine pumper epithet just after the LVs defeated #2.

Last edited:
Who Dean; the coach many on this board contend can't de develop post players; doesn;t know the game and so on.

But okay, when the team was struggling, it is always ALL Holly's fault and when the team is going well, it MUST be someone else's doing.

So tiresome....

For real! It’s beyond tiresome... just pitiful. Can’t even let people be happy and excited about an awesome win against the #2 ranked team in the country! Why say anything?

True story: I once knew a high school coach that had a parent of a very talented BB player that wanted to move into their district and play for this coach ....

The coach had a senior group returning that had been playing together since 7 & 8 th grade..... He told the parent to take his kid to another school that he did not want to mess with the chemistry of his team!!!

SMART COACH! 🤔

If you ever been around Gordon. She is intense. She is a Lady Vol. I think mentality meshes well with Holly. This staff is doing an amazing job. Nice job Holly.

Reaves was a slam dunk too.

Gordon 1st year
Reaves 2nd year

Jody Adams and Gordon helped rebuild the Wichita Shocker women’s basketball program. Jody Adams ran a very intense program, which eventually lead to her being fired. I believe that Gordon brought some of that intensity to this program. The intensity level is so much better than it has ever been under Holly. These freshmen don’t know they are freshmen, they play without fear.

Yep, that was my plan. I'd join in 2010 just so I could wait for this precise moment to make my move. Unreal the mindset of some of these responders to threads. I was watching and a fan of Tennessee sports when you were crapping yellow. So save me the lecture. If you don't see the difference in coaching and team play, that's on you! So, a legitimate question of who is different on the coaching staff is in order.

That we do shoot short jumpers and 3s are new to me.

Please do not go back to forcing the ball inside!

Jody Adams and Gordon helped rebuild the Wichita Shocker women’s basketball program. Jody Adams ran a very intense program, which eventually lead to her being fired. I believe that Gordon brought some of that intensity to this program. The intensity level is so much better than it has ever been under Holly. These freshmen don’t know they are freshmen, they play without fear.
You do know all the games this year have been under Holly, right?

I say "welcome" to the few newbies that have shown the courage to post on this forum. The more the merrier!

Can we please stop eating our own for a while?

I say "welcome" to the few newbies that have shown the courage to post on this forum. The more the merrier!

Can we please stop eating our own for a while?

As long as they are adding substance to the forum then sure! But if you’re a one hitter quitter appearing just to stir the pot I say eat em’ up! What’s your preference: baked, fried, filleted, sautéed, bbq’ed?

So did TX and had more firepower but we still beat them... while theirs (butt load of talent) didn’t even touch the court. To your point the past two seasons were HORRIBLE and unbearable. However, if this season doesn’t negate the previous two then those two seasons don’t negate the three SEC championships she won prior to those seasons by your logic ...

Reactions: 3 people
Mercedes looks o.k. on outside shooting. She will need more of that in the pros. Glory Johnson (TN coaching product) is an example of a pro greatly improving her game with outside shooting in the pros.

Glory Johnson (TN coaching product) is an example of a pro greatly improving her game with outside shooting in the pros.

What helped Glory Johnson's game most? She finally grew up.

Only AFTER college and after significant immaturity-driven drama, and then becoming responsible for the lives of two children, did the lightbulb go off for Glory that flashed, "GROW UP AND TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY!!"

If she'd had a more mature, Candace Parker-like approach to the college game, she would have been a faaaar better player while at Tennessee.

What helped Glory Johnson's game most? She finally grew up.

Only AFTER college and after significant immaturity-driven drama, and then becoming responsible for the lives of two children, did the lightbulb go off for Glory that flashed, "GROW UP AND TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY!!"

If she'd had a more mature, Candace Parker-like approach to the college game, she would have been a faaaar better player while at Tennessee.

Nice post.

This has been the same for most of the players we have recruited since that six player class after Parker, that was the start of the laziness creeping into the program and Cierra, Izzy, Meighan, Bashaara, Glory, coming in to help stabilize it, we have had talented players but few have been in the gym and the effort (underachieved). Effort comes from getting in the gym.

That's why, I love most of Holly's classes because of that trait, the players are gym rats.

We have recruited a few Glory's who relied on pure athleticism alone, but Glory did what she did well too. A great lady vol, and still can get better and that is scary, 2 to 3 more years...later development, but she sacrifice for the team too, so she earned my respect plus she was tough.

I am excited cos we are recruiting gym rats, players who want to use the amazing facilities of the Lady Vols to work on their game.

I can see why some people say we haven't been developing players, i.e All Americans, SEC player of the year candidates, we usually have a legit player of the year, each year.

But a lot of player development is on the players too, like 85%.

I love this staff. I love the players. And we have a group of Lady Vols to support, when I watch them, I know I'm going to get EFFORT, and that for one has made me happy.

I back Pat and roll with Holly. Beep! Beep!

Last edited:

Nice post.

YES, Gordon has made a difference. Plus Gordon dominated when she played. I am glad she is coaching the guards. Great hires, Holly. Each year, she made a change. Pat would be proud.

I back Pat and roll with Holly.

Last edited:

Great question. And those new to the board prolly appreciated the question too. :rock:

VN Store

Back