Oh Noes, TOs! (Maxim #1)

Carlitovol

::Straight cash homey::
So turnovers are obviously killing us this season.. And that problem is magnified even more so considering how anemic our offense has been in recent games.

Not only do they (TOs) kill drives and potential points, but they obviously strain the defense and put them in difficult field-position situations (see the FLA TD drive that started at the UT 30 yard line after the Worley fumble).

That being said, I thought it would be interesting to look at this stat over the course of our 4 losses:
  • We’ve had a total of TWELVE (average of 3 per game), with 5 lost fumbles and 7 INTs.
  • We’ve had a total of 14 on the season to date, meaning that we’ve turned it over only twice in our 3 wins
  • FWIW we are tied for #86 in FBS in turnovers lost)

So what’s the point? At the end of the day, we don’t need our offense to be the greatest show on turf.. We just need to PROTECT THE DANG BALL !

If we can somehow play a turnover-free game on Saturday, we’ll have done something we’ve yet to do in each of our 4 losses – and IMO would give us at least an outside shot at an upset.

Combining these stats with our overall offensive woes, I’m actually surprised that we haven’t been blown out worse in our losses. That’s no doubt a credit to the fantastic play of the defense..

Oklahoma
Fumbles lost – 1
INTs – 2
Pts off turnovers – 28 (this can’t be right, but it’s what the utsports.com web site box score has listed?)

UGA
Fumbles lost – 2
INTs – 0
Pts off turnovers – 14

Florida
Fumbles lost – 1
INTs – 2
Pts off turnovers – 7

Ole Miss
Fumbles lost – 1
INTs – 3
Pts off turnovers – 28 (not sure this is right, but it’s what the utsports.com web site box score has listed?)

GO. BIG. ORANGE.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, that's certainly one of our problems. Two specifically changed the out come of the games.

Another reason why I think it would behoove us to slow down the pace of the offense.

Reactions: 3 people
Which is why some have started advocating for more runs even if they are actually less effective.

Another reason why I think it would behoove us to slow down the pace of the offense.

Yep.
Less plays, less risks.
And the longer the play the better chance something bad happens. May not be pretty either way but would offer a better chance of success overall.

Agreed DD and GA.. Also, I'd like to know how many of the fumbles came from Worley getting blindsided. At least 3 that I can think of..

Honestly, I'd love to see some false-start-less WildHurd on Saturday.. Even if the results aren't there early, just keep trying it and see if we can get a few decent gains out of it..

Stop passing on 3rd and long, just stop, we don't have the horses for that play. Run something counter to the rush and take what you get. Bring back the quick kick as well.

We've also had takeaways but been unable to do crap with them...in the redzone no less. *sigh* That said you make a great albeit obvious point. If you look back to last years SC game, Worley finally didn't turn the ball over and guess what - we won! Same story against Georgia, although ironically (you guessed it) we lost in OT due to Pig's fumble. I of course don't fault him for that one, it was just bad luck, a common theme for UT football since 2001.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back