Offseason: Pick an annual OOC foe

If I had a vote then UNC would be my vote for the vols. The color mashup of TarHeel blue and cream sickle orange would be awesome to see. And on some years seeing the blue with tenns smokey grey unis would be awesome.

State rivalry vs. MEMPHIS
Nope. Don’t want to have to listen to their fans every year. Never seen a bunch with such an inferiority complex. If I have to listen to it once every 20 years, it’s too often. They despise UT and don’t deserve a series with Tennessee.

North Carolina would probably be a good choice to get us back into the Carolina recruiting ground that used to be ours before Kiffin and Dooley gave away to Clemson

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
For being close to home, North Carolina, Clemson, Virginia, V Tech, NC State......
Not close to home, Nebraska, Texas, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State.... Nebraska was my second favorite team when I was a kid. I loved watching Johnny Rodgers, he was great. And Ok State, watching Barry Sanders in college and pro, he was my favorite runningback of all time.

If I had a vote then UNC would be my vote for the vols. The color mashup of TarHeel blue and cream sickle orange would be awesome to see. And on some years seeing the blue with tenns smokey grey unis would be awesome.
We don't use the smokey greys anymore...Thank god, they were an eyesore.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
In state would have to be Memphis, they are the only decent team, and only recently became decent. In theory would help recruiting in Memphis, and maybe N Miss and East Ark. One state senator wants to force the issue:

Senator wants University of Tennessee, University of Memphis to compete annually

Out of state, agree that VaTech, UNC, Duke, all would be good rivals. But Va Tech can be good, even though they are down a notch, UNC is occasionally good, and Dook is an upset threat as long as Cut is there. Thus I say Memphis. And yes, I know they are improved, but also just lost their coach.

Close by there isn't much to move the needle: UNC, NC St., VT, UVA...meh.

I'd go with Texas....UT vs. UT. A beautiful shade of orange vs. their rusty looking version, Smokey vs. Bevo (Smokey will fare better than UGA)!
Yup pretty sure Smokey would help us turn bevo into dinner lol

Miami. Play the game in November, so every other year I have an excuse to go enjoy the beach and get out of the dreary East Tennessee weather.

We just need to keep the Oklahoma game yearly, high profile should help us with Texas recruiting. But we need to win one bad.
200.gif

From a Sooner perspective, I enjoy playing different teams out of conference and don't mind mixing it up as much.

Teams I wouldn't mind playing more regularly though...

Oregon
Nebraska (the Sooner-Husker games when they were in the Big 12 were insane)
Wisconsin
Michigan
Georgia (we owe them a serious butt kicking)
Miami (let's face it, we could use a good cupcake team every so often and going to the beach would be a treat)
Stanford
Any of the military Academies
Florida (do they really use pee on their field?)

I am not sure why we would. We already have have one of the country's toughest schedules, year in and year out. Any year that we go undefeated we will be in the playoffs, without a doubt. Leave it to the Clemsons and the Florida States to look for some outside help. We don't need it.

Oklahoma. The fan bases are very similar and I like them.
Ya'll are good to go in my book as well. Very polite and dang good hosts to us when we visited Knoxville in 2015.

I'm not sure about a regular series, but I can't remember the last time we played an out of conference opponent 4 times in 10 years other than Tulsa. They are in state, so I'm not sure that counts.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Ya'll are good to go in my book as well. Very polite and dang good hosts to us when we visited Knoxville in 2015.

I'm not sure about a regular series, but I can't remember the last time we played an out of conference opponent 4 times in 10 years other than Tulsa. They are in state, so I'm not sure that counts.
I ve been to a lot of games in Neyland since the mid 80's.

Hard to argue attending one with a better environment from pre game til the end. Less the very end.

VN Store

Back