Official practice thread -- Practice No. 4 (3/13)

This time it was a one-handed snag in the corner of the end zone in a one-on-one with rising sophomore cornerback Malik Foreman with the whole team watching.

The entire offense ran over to Pearson and mobbed him after the catch. He juked out All-SEC freshman corner Cam Sutton to turn a short pass into a touchdown in the Vols' practice this spring. The 6-foot-3, 181-pounder is working in the slot and showing his ability already.

Running backs coach Robert Gillespie continued to work five-star freshman Jalen Hurd. During a drill where the backs worked on staying low and balanced as they bounced off a blocking pad held by a manager, Gillespie stopped Hurd and made him start the drill over.

Worley worked with the first group.

Tennessee football practice report: Pearson's catch highlights indoor work | Times Free Press

Reactions: 2 people
• In 1-on-1 pass rushing drills, tackle Marquis Pair did a nice job holding off Corey Vereen. Freshman Coleman Thomas, who has been getting reps as the starting right tackle, also held his own against Curt Maggitt. Thomas also had one of the best performances in the ‘bull in the ring’ drill, driving defensive lineman Dimarya Mixon with ease and getting the whole offense to celebrate with him after it.

Pearson

From utsports:

Bio87IGCUAAdryq.jpg

Jancek: The starting defensive front is a big concern. Williams has some experience. OBrien has had some reps. Owen Williams, Mixon in mix

Jancek: Coleman's home for now is at the nickel.

Jancek: Payne will push Coleman at nickel. I like how D'Andre picks up on things. I like a lot of what he's doing.

Jancek: I like Emmanuel Moseley a lot. I have been pleased with him. He's picking things up well.

Jancek: We are trying to put the pieces together as far as speed and knowledge on defense.

Stripling: We have a lot of new faces. Been great experience to have Williams Mixon here now. Owen has strength & quickness w/good attitude

Stripling: the identity of the defense is we want to be an aggressive mobile line. We will be smaller, but more active.

Thigpen: Reeves-Maybin has really gotten better each practice. He knows the game well.

Reactions: 9 people
UtSports

Azzanni: we still need depth, but it's much better. We are making mistakes, but it's fun to see these talented guys on the field.

Azzanni: Von has endless energy, I'm not sure Von has an off switch. He's a glass half full all the time guy. Boundless energy.

Azzanni: Von is ultra talented. He's raw, gifted and talented. It's been fun to coach him.

Azzanni: North has had a great off season, he's a totally different player. Croom is understanding how to use his body. Looks like an SEC WR

Reactions: 4 people
One way of pushing a player is the “circle of life” drill at the start of practice. Jones calls out two names and the players do battle in the middle of a circle of teammates.

Carr, Jones announced on Thursday, would be first up in the circle of life in every practice until further notice.

One of the more intriguing circle of life matchups on Thursday? “Give me Germany and A.J. Johnson,” Jones yelled.

Tennessee spring football: Instant observations from Thursday's practice » GoVolsXtra

Azzanni: There's not a selfish guy among our WRs. They all coach each other and work together.

Azzanni: Malinr should be getting ready to go to HS prom. He's learning the urgency level. He's coming along.

Azzanni: Pearson says he has seen the other side and he doesn't want to go back. He's so happy to be at Tennessee.

Reactions: 3 people
Bajakian: we have some guys making plays. We have to make progress every day. We don't have the consistency I want yet.

Bajakian: The QBs have to do a better job taking care of the ball.

Bakakian: There is a lot of strategy that guys into playing 4 QBs. We talk about the power of the position & the Power of the T. They get it

Bajakian: the O-Line has done a good job of building chemistry. I was surprised on Day 1 that guys like Blair & Thomas had grasp of offense

Bajakian: Pearson is very, very talented. We have thrown a lot at him. north had made diving catches. Malone has flashed at times.

Reactions: 1 person
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/embed/aui7yEzrNSQ[/youtube]

Bajakian: Von brings unique perspective for 14 newcomers. He's seen the other side of working a real job. He has passion it's infectious.

Bakakian: Von is very talented. He can stretch the field catching deep ball. We have to figure out multiple ways to get him the ball.

Elder: it's been great and fun with Helm and Wolf. They are learning quick. They are eager guys and want to pick it up.

Elder: we are not slowing it down at all, they are learning on the fly. We are throwing them into fire. You see some plays make you say wow

Elder: kickers are coming along. But they need to work on consistency. The punter depth isn't where it needs to be. Need to perform better

Elder: Ethan Wolf is a complete tight end, can be physical with DE. Can get out and catch the ball. Can line up as H Back, catch as a WR

Elder: Helm has made plays knocking around DEs, made some plays catching the ball.

Quote:
One of the more intriguing circle of life matchups on Thursday? “Give me Germany and A.J. Johnson,” Jones yelled.

I want to see this.

Daniel Lewis: "Coleman Thomas had another good day. Drove D. Mixon out of the ring in one drill & held his own against Maggitt in a pass-blocking drill."

Grant Ramey: "Emphasized by both Zach Azzanni and Mike Bajakian: Von Pearson brings it because he's "seen the other side." Worked two years in fast food. The point: Pearson brings the energy everyday because he worked at Bojangles. He knows what life is like without this football opportunity."

VN Store

Back