Official Jon Gruden Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not going with a coach that looks like Iceman...

6a00d8341c565553ef0120a65bb66f970b-120wi

Or after....

Attachments

• val-kilmer-fat.jpg
    val-kilmer-fat.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 4 people
Well, from info close to the AD side of things, if Dooley had beaten Vandy and Ky, gone to a bowl and won, Hart was planning on keeping him.

There is no way anything hinged on a bowl game. You don't wait until after a meaningless bowl game at the end of december and fire a coach. We are not hiring another coach in Jan. on purpose.

So has Grudes...co-inky-dink? Or is it recycled news fodder?

It is my opinion that the NCAA are sniffing around Oregon and that he will be off to the NFL. That is just my opinion. Also, Phil Knight has "given" his approval "if" he goes to the NFL for Mark Helfrich to take over, in rumor only.
Chip Kelly NFL Rumors: Mark Helfrich has Phil Knight's "approval" to be successor - Addicted To Quack

Forward
~Gruden 2013~ The Reign of Chucky..

_VFL. G.B.O._
SOON!!!

After reviewing the facts/rumors presented over the past few months I can 100% say harts original plan was to talk to Gruden and work out ballpark figures/terms and proceed with the hiring process as if he doesn't exist. This is for 2 reasons. A) this gives him leverage on Gruden, knowing if BOTH sides don't meet in the middle there IS a guy lined up ready to sign the contract. Tennessee is the top job in the NCAA, in the top conference but in a division that is generally very fluid compared to the west. Also a school he has emotional attachment to.
B) if Gruden changes his mind at any point in the (approximately) 3 months they've been talking, UT has a viable backup option that will still be seen as a success. The problem is, when legit Gruden leaks occurred, the fans and boosters would no longer support plan B. Hart knew this gave leverage to Gruden in negotiations as well as put his job in severe jeopardy should talks fall through, thus misinformation on the part of the AD. Grudens agent followed suit because he stood (at that time) to make an additional $1.5M for MNF, but rumors of visits/talks with hart would seriously jeopardize that as well. Dooley made this problem worse by how bad the team performed late in the season. Had he beaten vanderbilt, he would have been coach for the Kentucky game, and likely fired after. The extra week started the media frenzy too early because no respectable coach would be caught interviewing before the end if the season, so hart needed to misdirect until candidates could be interviewed. BOOM!

Reactions: 2 people
Haven't seen this posted:

SEC Coaching Carousel Update – 12/4/12

Jon Gruden, ESPN analyst, white whale – We continue to receive detailed “tips” on how Tennessee has masterfully fooled the Knoxville media into believing that Gruden-to-UT is dead, when really, it’s still a done deal behind the scenes. Vol athletic director Dave Hart is apparently just a showman at heart. We’ll believe it when we see it as every industry source and UT source we’ve spoken to says this one is dead.

Reactions: 1 person
Just saying, as Spurrier found out, defenses are much faster in the NFL.

Patrick Ramsey, Shane Matthews, and Danny Wuerffel. Those were his QBs in the NFL. I'm not so sure Tom Landry could have done well with that talent under center.
O-Line allowed Shane Matthews to be a punching bag and nearly an NFC record holder for being sacked.

Just a qualifier - I'm no lover of Spurrier. Just saying it's hard to succeed no matter who you are when Dan Snyder is your owner and Shane Matthews is your QB.

For the record, I was at Griffin Stadium the night we ended Spurrier's career in the Swamp - and it was glorious.

Kelly to NFL = Spurrier to NFL, IMO

Fair Enough. But I would think he would go for it if he could. Just like the afore-mentioned he would always have a home in CFL and could return just like Spurrier and other outstanding CFL Coaches that were not as good at the NFL level. IMO.

Forward
~Gruden 2013~ The Reign of Chucky..

_VFL. G.B.O._
SOON!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back