Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

With NIL and the transfer portal I think we'll see a lot fewer Cinderella teams making it very far going forward.
It's good reckoning. Why would a really good player remain at a smaller/lower college when he can move up?

I know if I had any talent I would look for a better opportunity.

Interesting that all 1's and 2's remain. I don't recall that ever happening, at least not recently, though I am sure it has. So, 1's and 2's now make up half the field.

I think the closest we are going to get to a "Cinderella" team this year is SDSU or NC State.

Though I suspect SDSU is about to get spanked. But State has been playing above the ranking they are at and could pull the upset on Marquette.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I think the closest we are going to get to a "Cinderella" team this year is SDSU or NC State.

Though I suspect SDSU is about to get spanked. But State has been playing above the ranking they are at and could pull the upset on Marquette.

NCSU big man missed his calling. He should have been a 6ft9 or 6ft10 TE....could have been dominant. Hes a little overweight for Bball and has a face like a 18yo 300lb tackle, but he can flat run the court man. The 1st time I saw him run the floor like that, i immediately wished we had him at TE. He could have been like Gronkowski. He is waaaay faster than the average player his size. Will probably never make the NBA and end up playing ball in Europe for a few years....if he can take a hit then he could have made more in 1 season of the NFL than he will likely ever make playing Bball.

Reactions: lawgator1
Agree with you. Its going to cause the top talent, as it develops in first and sometimes second year, to gravitate to the top schools for either NBA or NIL cash purposes.

Maybe...

But I still feel like there will be upsets with those teams advancing to at least the Sweet 16. You'll have #1-3 seeds that'll think their games are "gimme" and not play to the level they are capable of and get knocked off by the underdog who has nothing to lose and leaves it all on the floor.

This year is obviously one where most upsets don't make it past the second round. But generally speaking, almost every year has a team that defies the odds and pushes ahead to at least the Sweet 16.

I think NIL will only go so far in MBB since the focus will still be on CFB for the money.

Maybe...

But I still feel like there will be upsets with those teams advancing to at least the Sweet 16. You'll have #1-3 seeds that'll think their games are "gimme" and not play to the level they are capable of and get knocked off by the underdog who has nothing to lose and leaves it all on the floor.

This year is obviously one where most upsets don't make it past the second round. But generally speaking, almost every year has a team that defies the odds and pushes ahead to at least the Sweet 16.

I think NIL will only go so far in MBB since the focus will still be on CFB for the money.

We'll see a few still make the sweet 16 but I think the days of a Richmond or Butler coming out of nowhere going to the final 4 are about done.

We'll see a few still make the sweet 16 but I think the days of a Richmond or Butler coming out of nowhere going to the final 4 are about done.

Those tended to be the exception rather than the norm though. But sometimes you get a team that believes they can go all the way and plays like it.

ORU is a prime example of a team almost making the Elite 8 by beating Ohio State and Florida (just wanted to remind LG they got beat by a Div 2 school in backwater OK).

And came one shot away from making the Elite 8 in the Arkansas game.

You are correct, there likely won't be those kinds of runs, but I wouldn't discount them.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Basketball is so unpredictable. You have to be a real gambler to ever bet on it. Just about anyone good enough to be a P5 starter can get unbelievably hot and score 30 points in a career night....and even Knecht who is IMO the best player in the country can go 5 for 20 in a "terrible game"* its insane.

* even in his terrible shooting game Knecht had 18pts, 9rebs and a few assists....and that big dunk and monster 3 he hit with 2 guys in his face were HUGE. VOLS fans were going apesheit when him and JJJ hit those back to back 3s!! It sounded like a home game even though we had just let a 12pt lead get cut to 2 points before the lid came off.

Last edited:
Reactions: AM64
I need your aporoval to determine what I like? Not even music IMO. But having pkayed guitar mywhole life, you want to try and teach me sonething about music, go ahead and try.

I can tell by the way you type that you are pretty good at drop D power chords and little else. Lol.

VN Store

Back