Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

I actually prefer this body style Civic to the new ones bc it doesnt have those gaudy spoilers etc. ...a fwd car doesnt need a buttload of downforce on the rear end anyway...and i am not an 18yo kid driving a weedeater.

Hoping to drive this for a couple three years and when my oldest finishes his masters maybe i can get Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86 or a Volkswagen GTI. I have never had a brand new car. My wife has had several....but i have always driven the work truck/van. Time for me to have a little fun this time

Yeah man they just repainted it and i assume took out any dents etc because it looks nearly showroom on outside. It was listed on BookFace marketplace yesterday evening and i called the guy this morning asking him to hold it until i could get there at lunch. I gave him deposit right after testdrive. My wife had basically the same car but a 1996 or 97...coupe w manual, etc. I LOVED that car...they are perennially Car and Drivers 10 best in the type R trim, and win best in class over the Corolla/jetta/Sentra pretty much every year also. I believe for 2022 either CnD or Road n Track picked something OTHER than a Honda Civic for the 1st time in more than a decade...but they compared it to the ElantrA N Type which has 276hp and a dual clutch auto...unfair comparison. Should have been vs the Civic Type R instead of a 200hp SI model. Wasnt an apples to apples contest. The civic R is widely considered THE finest (and still is fastest around Nurburgring) front wheel drive car that has ever been produced. Ever. It has 295hp and is the correct car to battle the Type N and GTI-R vagen.

Reactions: AM64 and VolStrom
Thanks McDad. Hope i can change it myself

You had to do some weird stuff on the older model Accords to change the timing belt - as I recall part of the suspension had to come off and maybe the engine mount so you can lower that side of the engine. It's been a while, so I may be mixing cars, but I'm pretty sure it went that way for Accords, and I wouldn't think Civics are a lot different. Unless Honda changed things, if the timing belt breaks the pistons run into the open valves - messy business.

Nice find, bro. Change that timing belt if previous owner didnt.
Good call. I had a timing belt break on an old 1983 Honda Prelude back when my old ass was in college. Broke on I-40 just outside Little Rock, AR. I was driving from NC to CA for the summer. Had to spend 3 days in Little Rock while a mechanic rebuilt my engine. Watched the final episode of Cheers in a bar in Little Rock as a result.

You had to do some weird stuff on the older model Accords to change the timing belt - as I recall part of the suspension had to come off and maybe the engine mount so you can lower that side of the engine. It's been a while, so I may be mixing cars, but I'm pretty sure it went that way for Accords, and I wouldn't think Civics are a lot different. Unless Honda changed things, if the timing belt breaks the pistons run into the open valves - messy business.
I think Honda’s were built back then to maximize repair revenues. This sounds similar to the process with the old Preludes too.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Thanks McDad. Hope i can change it myself

I've been thinking about you and the timing belt, and any tips to give you. Unfortunately it's been so many years since I was fixing our cars that I've forgotten a lot. A few general tips though if you find it is time to change the belt. I bought Honda service manuals and read up on the repair before I started - we're talking in the days before the internet really got going and car owner forums got to be a big topic. Do some digging on the net and see what you can find out about parts, tools, difficulties other guys have had, etc. I think I recall that newer engines have tensioners mounted to the block and they keep the belt tension where it needs to be; for older engines, you needed a belt tensioner unless you wanted to guess and live a little on the wild side. That's what I mean by special tools. If at that point you want to go on, I'd still recommend a Honda service manual since you want to keep the car for some time; often manufacturers split the manuals - mechanical and electrical (which usually turns out to be more wiring diagrams because nobody is giving away technology or an opportunity to keep you hostage to dealership test equipment.

The best way to go on is to make sure you have time and space to work on the car - don't rush - treat it like a labor of love. If you are taking up the wife's garage space, that's a problem. Remember with transverse engines that everything seems more difficult because if you can't reach from one side the chances of doing better from the other probably aren't great either. Work safe - I used ramps and jack stands when working under the car. Have extra jacks - the little bottle jacks from HD or Lowes are handy. I actually stuck a jack between the inner fender to press a freeze plug in one time - imagination is great when you hit a snag. Consider air tools - something I wished I had done years earlier. Honda uses a large nut at the end of the axle, and you almost have to have an air impact wrench; Mazda had like six smaller bolts around the flange and that was a lot easier. Get a good impact tool and good quality deep well sockets - and supplement those with some cheaper stuff from Harbor Freight - they had a nice set of air impact sockets for less than $50 and I never had one break - you probably already know hex sockets - treat 12 point sockets as evil. If you get air tools, don't ever bother with shiny chrome sockets again - the black ones work great with ratchets, but the other way is risky.

If you get stumped, walk away and give it a day or so. There were two jobs that almost made me give it up. One was getting the transmission back in an Accord after changing the clutch - it just wouldn't fit; and I got too tired to keep holding it and trying to get it angled to get the splines to line up. A day or so later I got it in, but it was just fractions of an inch that kept you from getting the angle to make the splines match up. The second was putting the driveshaft back in my Merkur after changing the clutch. The Merkur has an extra joint, and you have two hands and are laying under the car with little room to wiggle. You'd get one end in the differential and the middle flopped and pull it out while you tried to get the other end in the transmission - absolutely frustrating beyond belief. Sometimes you can make a special tool - like a transmission jack by building a wooden cradle to fit on a car jack - not perfect, but it can work.

Anyway this is way too long, but hope it helps. And good luck. Remember we are here to catch your frustration ... and maybe even to offer a tip. Oh, one last thing about manuals. People have a bad habit of putting "Caution: Don't do this" after the step, do read ahead.

My first foray into timing belts was in the early 80's when I had a "nice" strip model 1976 Chevrolet Chevette. I was about a half mile from work and the engine just died, when I went to start it, it turned over really fast and sounded like it had no compression. I ended up walking most of the way to work when a coworker saw my car and then saw me hoofing it. Changing a timing belt on a Chevette was about as easy as changing the channel on a TV. My how times have changed.

I've been thinking about you and the timing belt, and any tips to give you. Unfortunately it's been so many years since I was fixing our cars that I've forgotten a lot. A few general tips though if you find it is time to change the belt. I bought Honda service manuals and read up on the repair before I started - we're talking in the days before the internet really got going and car owner forums got to be a big topic. Do some digging on the net and see what you can find out about parts, tools, difficulties other guys have had, etc. I think I recall that newer engines have tensioners mounted to the block and they keep the belt tension where it needs to be; for older engines, you needed a belt tensioner unless you wanted to guess and live a little on the wild side. That's what I mean by special tools. If at that point you want to go on, I'd still recommend a Honda service manual since you want to keep the car for some time; often manufacturers split the manuals - mechanical and electrical (which usually turns out to be more wiring diagrams because nobody is giving away technology or an opportunity to keep you hostage to dealership test equipment.

The best way to go on is to make sure you have time and space to work on the car - don't rush - treat it like a labor of love. If you are taking up the wife's garage space, that's a problem. Remember with transverse engines that everything seems more difficult because if you can't reach from one side the chances of doing better from the other probably aren't great either. Work safe - I used ramps and jack stands when working under the car. Have extra jacks - the little bottle jacks from HD or Lowes are handy. I actually stuck a jack between the inner fender to press a freeze plug in one time - imagination is great when you hit a snag. Consider air tools - something I wished I had done years earlier. Honda uses a large nut at the end of the axle, and you almost have to have an air impact wrench; Mazda had like six smaller bolts around the flange and that was a lot easier. Get a good impact tool and good quality deep well sockets - and supplement those with some cheaper stuff from Harbor Freight - they had a nice set of air impact sockets for less than $50 and I never had one break - you probably already know hex sockets - treat 12 point sockets as evil. If you get air tools, don't ever bother with shiny chrome sockets again - the black ones work great with ratchets, but the other way is risky.

If you get stumped, walk away and give it a day or so. There were two jobs that almost made me give it up. One was getting the transmission back in an Accord after changing the clutch - it just wouldn't fit; and I got too tired to keep holding it and trying to get it angled to get the splines to line up. A day or so later I got it in, but it was just fractions of an inch that kept you from getting the angle to make the splines match up. The second was putting the driveshaft back in my Merkur after changing the clutch. The Merkur has an extra joint, and you have two hands and are laying under the car with little room to wiggle. You'd get one end in the differential and the middle flopped and pull it out while you tried to get the other end in the transmission - absolutely frustrating beyond belief. Sometimes you can make a special tool - like a transmission jack by building a wooden cradle to fit on a car jack - not perfect, but it can work.

Anyway this is way too long, but hope it helps. And good luck. Remember we are here to catch your frustration ... and maybe even to offer a tip. Oh, one last thing about manuals. People have a bad habit of putting "Caution: Don't do this" after the step, do read ahead.

This is good stuff. Thanks for spending the time. I can change oil and pan gaskets, pads rotors calipers, alternators and starters, other minor and easy stuff like that. Dont have the knowledge or experience (or specialty tools) to do much more than that. Or a garage. Things were so much easier when my Pappaw and to a lesser extent my Dad were still around 3 years ago. Pappaw talked me thru my 1st starter and alternator changes, among other things, over the phone from Knoxville. I always knew if i could get any vehicle over the mountain to his garage i was golden...he had every tool and could point and talk me thru whatever was broken. He could help me fix anything with wisdom and ingenuity. Hands down the greatest man Ive ever known, and i miss him dearly. I was so lucky to have him, as that country song says " i hope i am at least half the man, that he didn't have to be." (maybe someday) i am reminded of him in posts i have read from you, 72, Mcdad,ND40 etc. Sharing wisdom and kindness were his forte.

I was looking at cold air intakes for my new car today...parts are all bolt on from a kit. But you have to drop the front bumper to the ground to install them after removing the stock intake and filter housing. Reviews said its a 2 or 3 hour job. Ouch...i will end up installing one probably later and getting a chip to flash the fuel programming etc. Combined its probably 20 or 25 horses at the wheel, but thats a big difference in a little coupe making only 145hp or so. My greatest concern is that it nòt sound like a weedeater. I hate that sound. Will try to find a relatively quiet one i guess. Thanks again for the great post bud. Go Vols

Reactions: AM64 and McDad
Eehghads, carbonated water is worse than the tea Dink likes to serve.

It's more about that fizzy thing that clears the back of your throat. The taste of some is more tolerable than others. Apollinaris and San Pellegrino are pretty good. Perrier is useful if the local water isn't safe to use while brushing your teeth.

It's more about that fizzy thing that clears the back of your throat. The taste of some is more tolerable than others. Apollinaris and San Pellegrino are pretty good. Perrier is useful if the local water isn't safe to use while brushing your teeth.
Used bottled carbonated water for brushing my teeth in Argentina when I used to travel there back around 2001/2002. It feels like your camping or something. Outside of that use scenario, I have zero use for carbonated water.

VN Store

Back