Official Dirt Track Racing Thread

Hoosier_Vol

Vol Stuck in B1G 10 Hell
Wether it’s sprints, bombers, late models or whatever let’s talk dirty! 🤣

Going to Tri State Speedway near Evansville,IN tonight for some USAC sprints and the kickoff off Indiana Speed Week.

Hadn’t been to the track yet this year but I’m dying to go. Lucas Oil Late Model guys will be at Volunteer Speedway this upcoming weekend then 411 Motor Speedway the next. I’ll make one of the two

I've only been to Atomic and it was awesome. "World's Fast 1/3rd mile dirt track" iirc.

What are the Knoxville area tracks these days, how much do they charge, and how big are the ovals? There was a pretty big event Saturday for $30... I think that it was Smoky Mtn. Wasn't that one asphalt a few years ago?

Reactions: Vol$_Deep_11_9
I've only been to Atomic and it was awesome. "World's Fast 1/3rd mile dirt track" iirc.

What are the Knoxville area tracks these days, how much do they charge, and how big are the ovals? There was a pretty big event Saturday for $30... I think that it was Smoky Mtn. Wasn't that one asphalt a few years ago?
Atomic was awesome back in the day. Always knew what you were gonna get there. Tacky track and great racing.

Yes, Smoky Mountain was Saturday night 15k to win it was a Lucas Oil race. Smoky has been dirt for as long as I can remember. The main tracks around this area are Smoky Mountain, 411, Volunteer Speedway(Bulls Gap), and Tazewell. 411 was asphalt a while back. 411 is a great track and you’re almost always outta there and home, depending on your drive by midnight. They’re in the middle of a subdivision and have to be finished by a certain time. World of Outlaw Late Models will be at the Gap this coming weekend for a two day show and then the following weekend the Lucas series will be at 411.

Reactions: FallCreekVols
Atomic was awesome back in the day. Always knew what you were gonna get there. Tacky track and great racing.

Yes, Smoky Mountain was Saturday night 15k to win it was a Lucas Oil race. Smoky has been dirt for as long as I can remember. The main tracks around this area are Smoky Mountain, 411, Volunteer Speedway(Bulls Gap), and Tazewell. 411 was asphalt a while back. 411 is a great track and you’re almost always outta there and home, depending on your drive by midnight. They’re in the middle of a subdivision and have to be finished by a certain time. World of Outlaw Late Models will be at the Gap this coming weekend for a two day show and then the following weekend the Lucas series will be at 411.

What's the track in Wartburg or Morgan County called?

I'm probably mixing up 411 and Smoky Mtn. Which one did the Ogle brothers own? I know that they bought Atomic from Mr Martin about 40 years ago. I forget Mr Martin's first name. The Ogles were Bill, Jim, and I think Jack. I know that Bill passed away and I think Jack as well. Jim is still with us I believe.

Billy Ogle, Jr was tearing it up as a kid. I guess it didn't hurt to have your dad owning and running a couple of tracks.

Which track is closest to Knoxville?

It's interesting to see old track locations on KGIS dot org. The one in Halls and maybe another in Norwood. Speedway Circle in East Knoxville is pretty cool, but it might have just been horse racing.

Where's Bulls Gap? Isn't there a track there? Maybe that's the one in Morgan County.

Edit: Bulls Gap is in Hawkins County in upper east TN near Kingsport. "Bulls Gap is home to Volunteer Speedway, a dirt racetrack, that is billed as the "World's Fastest Dirt Track.""

Edit #2: I think that Mr Martin's name was Bob. He might have built Atomic.

Last edited:
Smoky Mountain Speedway: The Maryville, TN track looks to remain as a special events track for the time being. A number of improvements have been made following the sole ownership takeover by previous part-owner Roger Sellers. The historic facility that once hosted NASCAR races will open its season on March 23rd 2019 when the World of Outlaws Late Model Series comes calling.

During the year (2019) the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series, the Schaeffer’s Oil Spring Nationals, the Southern All Star Dirt Racing Series, the United Sprint Car Series, the American Crate All Star Series, the Scheffer’s Oil Iron-Man Late Model Series, the Schaeffer’s Oil Southern Nationals, and the Schaeffer’s Oil Fall Nationals are among the tours set to visit SMS in 2019.

More information can be found at www.SmokyMountainSpeedway.com.
=============================

411 Motor Speedway: The Seymour, TN track has already held its annual Sweetheart race back in February (2019) but will begin its championship points racing season on Saturday, March 16th 2019. On that night the track will play host to the Crate Late Model, Sportsman Late Model, Open Wheel Modified, Modified Street, Classic Car, Street Stock, and Front Wheel Drive divisions.

Throughout the (2019) season 411 will also feature a number of special events with the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series, the World of Outlaws Late Model Series, the Schaeffer’s Oil Spring Nationals, Southern Nationals and Iron-Man Series, and numerous other special events paying out big money to various classes.

More information can be found at www.411MotorSpeedway.net.

Boyd’s Speedway: While Boyd’s Speedway is actually located in Ringgold, GA, it is so close to the state line that it is appropriate to include it with the east Tennessee facilities. The track has already hosted its (2019) annual Cabin Fever show and is now set to stage the Shamrock this weekend. This event will feature racing in the Super Late Model, Crate Late Model, Sportsman Late Model, Hot Shots, Hobby, Super Stock and Driver Development classes.

Regular championship points racing for the track’s weekly classes will begin on March 23rd 2019.

More information can be found at www.BoydsSpeedway.net.

I-75 Raceway: The facility located near Sweetwater, TN plans to host a Test & Tune on March 16th (2019) with the season opener set for March 23rd (2019). That night will feature racing in the Limited Late Model, Sportsman Late Model, A-Hobby, B-Hobby, Thunder, Four Cylinder, and Front Wheel Drive classes. Championship points racing for the track’s weekly classes will begin on April 13th (2019).

Throughout the (2019) season I-75 will offer special events that will feature the United Championship Racing Alliance, the United Sprint Car Series, the Brucebilt Iron-Man Modified Series, the Topless Outlaw Dirt Late Model Series, the Schaeffer’s Oil Iron-Man Late Model Series, and the Southern All Stars Dirt Late Model Series.

More information can be found at www.I75raceway.com.

Tazewell Speedway: The Tazewell, TN facility known for its exceedingly steep banking will open its 2019 season with the Charles Trammell Memorial event that will showcase the American Crate All-Star Series on March 30th. Regular weekly racing will begin on April 6th.

During the course of the season the upper east Tennessee track will welcome the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series, the United Championship Racing Alliance, the Schaeffer’s Oil Iron-Man Late Model Series, the Schaeffer’s Oil Southern Nationals, and the Schaeffer’s Oil Fall Nationals as part of their special event offerings.

Tazewell Speedway is known for its high banks.

More information can be found at www.TazewellSpeedway.net.

Wartburg Speedway: A pair of Test & Tune sessions are set for March 16th and March 23rd before the (2019) season opener takes place at the Wartburg, TN track on March 30th. The first weekly points races of 2019 are set for April 6th. Classes competing on the high-banked quarter-mile track will be Late Models, Sportsman Late Models, Super Street, Pony, Thunder, Front Wheel Drive, Dwarfs, and Mod Minis.

Special events will focus attention on the American Crate All-Star Series, the Schaeffer’s Oil Iron-Man Late Model Series, the Topless Outlaw Dirt Late Model Series, and the Brucebilt Iron-Man Modified Series throughout 2019.

More information can be found at www.WartburgSpeedway.net.

Volunteer Speedway: The Bulls Gap, TN facility will be under the management of Stan Lester in 2019. A Test & Tune session is slated for March 30th prior to the season opener that will feature a $10,000-to-win Ultimate Super Late Model Series show on Thursday night, April 4th. FASTRACK Late Models will be a part of the weekly racing program along with Sportsman Late Models, Modified Streets, Classics, Mini Stocks, and Street Stocks.

The Topless Outlaw Dirt Late Model Series and a second Ultimate Super Late Model Series event will visit the track for special events in 2019.

More information can be found at www.VolunteerSpeedway.com.

Crossville Speedway: The Crossville, TN track will begin operations with two open practices on April 19th and 26th before the (2019) season opener on May 3rd. That event will feature the Topless Outlaw Dirt Late Model Series. Weekly racing will begin on May 10th.

The Ultimate Super Late Model Series, the Schaeffer’s Oil Southern Nationals, and Brucebilt Iron-Man Modified Series will be among the featured shows for special events in 2019.

More information can be found at www.CrossvilleSpeedway.com.

Mountain View Raceway: The rebuilt track located in Spring City, TN hopes to begin competition during the 2019 season.

More information can be found at www.MountainViewRaceway.com.

What's the track in Wartburg or Morgan County called?

I'm probably mixing up 411 and Smoky Mtn. Which one did the Ogle brothers own? I know that they bought Atomic from Mr Martin about 40 years ago. I forget Mr Martin's first name. The Ogles were Bill, Jim, and I think Jack. I know that Bill passed away and I think Jack as well. Jim is still with us I believe.

Billy Ogle, Jr was tearing it up as a kid. I guess it didn't hurt to have your dad owning and running a couple of tracks.

Which track is closest to Knoxville?

It's interesting to see old track locations on KGIS dot org. The one in Halls and maybe another in Norwood. Speedway Circle in East Knoxville is pretty cool, but it might have just been horse racing.

Where's Bulls Gap? Isn't there a track there? Maybe that's the one in Morgan County.

Edit: Bulls Gap is in Hawkins County in upper east TN near Kingsport. "Bulls Gap is home to Volunteer Speedway, a dirt racetrack, that is billed as the "World's Fastest Dirt Track.""

Edit #2: I think that Mr Martin's name was Bob. He might have built Atomic.

I think the Ogle’s had Smoky Mountain for a while, I forgot the guys name right off hand but somebody else has it now.

Mitch Mccarter owns 411 right now and he does really well with it. That one is probably the closest to Knoxville outside of Smoky.

I remember Billy Ogle Jr was always tough when he showed up. Always ran near the front.

Bulls Gap is up I-81 off exit 23. That track is probably my favorite of the ones mentioned. It’s under new ownership and guy is improving it a lot. Old ownership basically ran when they wanted to. Got great food at the concession stands too. It’s wicked fast when it’s good too.

My new favorite driver lol1DB978F9-EA68-4E59-8CB3-E38E9C71DF50.png
C341D934-6DB4-4AC0-8AC8-49000B1C977D.png

Attachments

• CDB6C502-9688-41FD-B1CA-6F7AE4D25329.jpeg
    CDB6C502-9688-41FD-B1CA-6F7AE4D25329.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
I think I'll check out Smoky Mtn this season if the 'Rona is under control. But I bet the one in Wartburg would be a lot more fun for people watching. Could be like the People of Walmart on steroids.

Heading to Lincoln Park Speedway in Putmanville,IN tonight for night #3 of Indiana Mini Sprint Week. Kyle Larson has dominated first two nights this week and has a bounty on his head. Ricky Stenhouse Jr., Dave Darland, Brady Bacon and Justin Grant along with Larson highlights the field.

Tazewell was the first dirt track I went to when I was a kid. They ran the old modified bodies back then. 32 Ford coupes, sedans and other older bodies. That was neat to watch. Smoky Mountain used to be asphalt and NASCAR ran there some. I talked to Friday Hasler, James Hylton and Red Farmer in the pits after one race. It was high banked like Bristol at that time. We used to go to Sportsman Speedway in Johnson City every weekend and sometimes to Kingsport for special races. This was before Volunteer Speedway was built. My uncle looked at land across the highway from Volunteer back then and considered building a speedway. Money was tough to come by so it never went anywhere and a couple of years later someone built Volunteer. I was on a race team in the late 70's and early 80's and we ran at Volunteer and over at Newport. I remember going to the first NDRA race at Newport. It paid 30,000 to win and cars came from everywhere. It was the beginning of what would become the World Of Outlaws. Bill Morton from Church Hill had a half lap lead in about 5 laps and his crankshaft broke. I can't recall who won. I remember L.D. Ottinger wrecking on Lap 10 and having to start in the rear one race at Newport. He came through the pack and won. Heck of a show. Racing was fun back then. Technology has made things totally different now. I prefer the way it used to be with cars sideways in the turns and throwing up the dirt. Since I moved to Georgia in 83, I go to Dixie Speedway in Woodstock a couple of times a year. It's a good track.

In addicted to FloRacing and Dirt Draft. If your not familiar FloSports/Racing is a streaming service that allows you to watch several live or replays of dirt track racing nightly from across the country. All USAC events are live on FloRacing. Dirt Draft is a daily dirt track fantasy racing app. You pick 5 drivers from multiple races nightly and earn points that can be used on racing gear and tickets. FloRacing costs $150 a year and Dirt Draft is like $6 a month.

Reactions: aredfox28
PORT ROYAL, PA – The ‘Speed Showcase’ has grown significantly.

After being postponed by COVID-19 regulations in March, the Bob Hilbert Sportswear Short Track Super Series (STSS) Fueled By Sunoco ‘Speed Showcase’ at Port Royal Speedway was rescheduled to mid-October. Now, the event has reached epic proportions for big-block/small-block Modified teams.

The ‘Speed Showcase 200’ weekend will now take place Thursday-Saturday, October 15-17 at the Speed Palace, headlined by a 200-lap event offering $53,000 to win from a total purse structure of more than $125,000.

The event takes the place of the scheduled Fonda 200 weekend at Fonda (N.Y.) Speedway, originally slated for September 17-19 at the Track of Champions. Regulations in place by the New York State Democratic Party and Governor Cuomo will not allow for the 200 at Fonda this season.

Reactions: aredfox28
For fans of dirt track racing like myself last years Tony Stewart Sprint Car Racing was AMAZING! It gave you the chance to race TQ Midgets, 305 non winged and 410 winged sprint cars. This years release which is available TOMORROW includes Legend cars, modifides and bombers! Awesome game for dirt track fans, can't wait!!

https://t.co/IDB1Izygq3?amp=1

Kyle Strickler led laps 0-65 at Eldora tonight before cutting a tire with two laps to go. Heartbreak was terrible in his post-race interview. Not sure I could have spoken afterward.

BTW, Flo Sports App has awesome coverage of dirt racing. Lots of live-stream races to choose from.

Kyle Strickler led laps 0-65 at Eldora tonight before cutting a tire with two laps to go. Heartbreak was terrible in his post-race interview. Not sure I could have spoken afterward.

BTW, Flo Sports App has awesome coverage of dirt racing. Lots of live-stream races to choose from.

Agreed.....that's about as heartbreaking as it gets!

FloRacing is BY FAR the best $150 a year you can EVER spend!

VN Store

Back