Official Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related (merged)

I'm assume you've read more than 4 Stephen King books, and are a Stephen King fan.
Been a King fan since my early teens. It and Pet Sematary are my favorites but I also loved The Stand, Dark Tower Saga, Doloras Claiborne, Salems Lot, and Carrie.

I

Been a King fan since my early teens. It and Pet Sematary are my favorites but I also loved The Stand, Dark Tower Saga, Doloras Claiborne, Salems Lot, and Carrie.

I

Classic SK books with those ones including the Stand, and Carrie.
If Salems Lot is a great book it is great since it is a Vampire story, and a great Vampire book that isn't The excellent Famous Novel Dracula.

Reactions: 1 person
A Land Remembered. About the struggles of a family living in the Florida frontier. Best book I’ve ever read,

Just picked up a copy of Genius for War... by D'Este.

Will learn a bit more about Patton.

slogging through The Recognitions by William Gaddis

taking breaks by reading The Boys graphic novels by Garth Ennis

Received an autographed 1st edition of Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson, 3rd book in the stormlight archive. :w00t:

Received an autographed 1st edition of Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson, 3rd book in the stormlight archive. :w00t:

Amazing series. I'm about halfway through Oathbringer right now. So far it's on track to be my favorite fantasy series.

So you two would recommend that series? I have been contemplating starting it, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Iron Gold by Pierce Brown comes out soon, so I will be reading that. The Red Rising trilogy by him was one of my favorites. I can't remember who it was on here, but the only reason I started that series was because of a post on here.

Finished a couple of good books in the last week.

The Water Will Come: Rising Seas, Sinking Cities, and the Remaking of the Civilized World by Jeff Goodell looks into the effects of melting ice on the poles due to climate change and how it will affect cities, how they're adapting (or not), and what the future may hold. It covers the history of Miami and Venice, Italy, two cities that will be majorly affected by rising waters and with two vastly different approaches. It also covers how design firms in The Netherlands, which has been battling to keep dry for centuries, are helping cities adapt. Among those includes New York City and Tom's River, NJ. Boston is also covered, who just got hit by a major storm surge - as predicted in the book.

The Lost City of the Monkey God by Douglas Preston. This tells the story of a lost city in Honduras, how there have been many attempts to find it - some real, but most con artists - and how some Americans did manage to find it in 2012 after 20 years of of and on searching. It also covers several other aspects, such as the contraction of leishmaniasis after the ground truthing and skepticism and outrage by archaeologists.

Both are excellent books and I highly recommend them. Lost City was especially a page turner that I just couldn't put down.

In the queue is The Conquest of Bread by Peter Kropotkin.

Last edited:
So you two would recommend that series?

Yes. Though Sanderson has produced three books out of ~10 planned, each is a captivating tome, and he is a steady, prolific author (unlike Patrick Rothfus, who may or may not finish the kingkiller chronicles in our lifetimes).

Wrapping up Second Foundation, part of Asimov's original Foundation trilogy. Great series.

I read and re-read those in HS. And I read all the prequels and sequals as they came out. And how Azimov linked all his books plotwise. READ THEM ALL.

No one will ever convince me that Azimovs Foundation and Empire trilogy wasn't a primary source of inspiration for Star Wars.

From Wiki:

Foundation trilogy Edit
The first four stories were collected, along with a new story taking place before the others, in a single volume published by Gnome Press in 1951 as Foundation. The remainder of the stories were published in pairs by Gnome as Foundation and Empire (1952) and Second Foundation (1953), resulting in the "Foundation Trilogy", as the series is still known.[4]

Later sequels and prequels Edit
In 1981, Asimov was persuaded by his publishers to write a fourth book, which became Foundation's Edge (1982).[5]

Four years later, Asimov followed up with yet another sequel, Foundation and Earth (1986), which was followed by the prequels Prelude to Foundation (1988) and Forward the Foundation (1993). During the two-year lapse between writing the sequels and prequels, Asimov had tied in his Foundation series with his various other series, creating a single unified universe. The basic link is mentioned in Foundation's Edge: an obscure tradition about a first wave of space settlements with robots and then a second without. The idea is the one developed in Robots of Dawn, which, in addition to showing the way that the second wave of settlements were to be allowed, illustrates the benefits and shortcomings of the first wave of settlements and their so-called C/Fe (carbon/iron, signifying humans and robots together) culture. In this same book, the word psychohistory is used to describe the nascent idea of Seldon's work. Some of the drawbacks to this style of colonization, also called Spacer culture, are also exemplified by the events described in The Naked Sun.

So you two would recommend that series? I have been contemplating starting it, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Iron Gold by Pierce Brown comes out soon, so I will be reading that. The Red Rising trilogy by him was one of my favorites. I can't remember who it was on here, but the only reason I started that series was because of a post on here.

Definitely recommend it. I'm a big Sanderson fan.

Hillbilly Elegy being read right now. Three chapters in and I'm getting bored, hoping it'll get better.

Its short and sweet. Definitely good just dont expect too much.

Im finishing up the last chapter of Into the Silence about Mallory's ascent of Everest. Its a long and enduring book; not for everyone, but damn interesting if take a liking to such things.

Also getting back into the Hyperion series. Probably mny favorite modern sci fi series, even over GoT and Sandersons Stormlight Archives. If yall want some fresh sci fi, dont skip out - its a truly wild ride.

Reading River of Kings , three stories about the Altamaha River in Georgia. Great read so far. Bounces between the french colonists in the 1560s, a shrimper in the early nineties and his two grown sons there to spread his ashes in current day.

“The Charm School” by Nelson DeMille.

If you are a fan of the show “The Americans” this book is for you. It’s basically the genesis of the show. Incredibly well written.

Reactions: 1 person
I read and re-read those in HS. And I read all the prequels and sequals as they came out. And how Azimov linked all his books plotwise. READ THEM ALL.

No one will ever convince me that Azimovs Foundation and Empire trilogy wasn't a primary source of inspiration for Star Wars.

From Wiki:

Foundation trilogy Edit
The first four stories were collected, along with a new story taking place before the others, in a single volume published by Gnome Press in 1951 as Foundation. The remainder of the stories were published in pairs by Gnome as Foundation and Empire (1952) and Second Foundation (1953), resulting in the "Foundation Trilogy", as the series is still known.[4]

Later sequels and prequels Edit
In 1981, Asimov was persuaded by his publishers to write a fourth book, which became Foundation's Edge (1982).[5]

Four years later, Asimov followed up with yet another sequel, Foundation and Earth (1986), which was followed by the prequels Prelude to Foundation (1988) and Forward the Foundation (1993). During the two-year lapse between writing the sequels and prequels, Asimov had tied in his Foundation series with his various other series, creating a single unified universe. The basic link is mentioned in Foundation's Edge: an obscure tradition about a first wave of space settlements with robots and then a second without. The idea is the one developed in Robots of Dawn, which, in addition to showing the way that the second wave of settlements were to be allowed, illustrates the benefits and shortcomings of the first wave of settlements and their so-called C/Fe (carbon/iron, signifying humans and robots together) culture. In this same book, the word psychohistory is used to describe the nascent idea of Seldon's work. Some of the drawbacks to this style of colonization, also called Spacer culture, are also exemplified by the events described in The Naked Sun.

I go through swings of what I want to read, so I think his Galactic Empire series is next when I get back to a sci-fi mood. I've read the original three Foundation books now, along with I,Robot and one of his short story collections called Gold.

Right now I'm reading Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules for Life. Thinking I'll go to The Hobbit and LOTR after that, but could end up reading another Murakami book.

VN Store

Back