Official Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related (merged)

These are what I'm currently reading:

Abraham Lincoln-Carl Sandburg
The Grapes of Wrath-John Steinbeck
Great Short Works of Edgar Allan Poe
My Side of the Mountain-Jean Craighead George (kids book)

Just got done with the Bob Dylan biography Down the Highway by Howard Sounes, which was good, and Walter Isaacson's Ben Franklin, which was awesome and I recommend for anyone.

I am currently reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy, I recommend it highly based on the 75% of it I have finished. Next up is the new Palahniuk novel Rant, then I will probably pick up the new DeLillo novel Falling Man and The Devil in White City which is a nonfiction work by Erik Larson about a serial killer who posed as a doctor during the Chicago World's Fair.

I have read The Devil in The White City by Larson. If you like it, pick up Thunderstruck also by Larson. Both are good.

I am currently reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy, I recommend it highly based on the 75% of it I have finished. Next up is the new Palahniuk novel Rant, then I will probably pick up the new DeLillo novel Falling Man and The Devil in White City which is a nonfiction work by Erik Larson about a serial killer who posed as a doctor during the Chicago World's Fair.

I just finished No Country for Old Men by McCarthy. I plan on starting The Road shortly. I have mentioned it before, but if you like McCarthy I would suggest Suttree. The backdrop for that book is Knoxville and East Tennesee, and the scenery is a very prominent character in the book. I will offer fair warning that unlike The Road and No Country For Old Men, it reads much more like a novel than a screen play.

If you are into Tolkein I strongly suggest reading The Silmarillion. It is work put together by his son after his passing, and it describes the history of middle earth in detail. I am not usually into this stuff. I was never one of those Dungeon and Dragons guys, but having read Tolkein in my youth, The Silmarillion may be my favorite of all of his books.

I just finished Hemingway's "A Farewell to Arms". If I ever remember which friend of mine suggested that I read it knowing full well that my wife is pregnant, I'm kicking him in the nuts.

that a good book? ive thought about pickin it up myself.

And-One Bullet Away by Nathaniel Fick for myself

So far it's great. Only about 50 pages into it, and that's spent mostly on the violent history of Columbia and Pablo Escobar's rise to power.

One Bullet Away was a pretty good book. I don't know how far into it you are so I don't want to ruin anything, but you might want to pick up Generation Kill by Evan Wright after you finish Fick's book. Wright was a reporter embedded with Fick's Recon Unit in Iraq. I'd definately recommend it. Wright goes into much more detail than Fick does about that unit's experience. Day to day almost.

Im almost finished with it. I knew the name Evan Wright sounded familiar.And as you said it was the reporter stationed with their unit. I might have to pick it up. Thanks for the recommendation.

I read just got done reading Dane Bradshaws book, and finishing All Quiet on the Western Front. Now i just started A Time to Kill

Everyone got their copy of Harry Potter? Didn't think so, you guys are all pretty cool, for the most part.

I'm currently reading Black by Ted Dekker.

I just, for some reason, started reading the "Harry Potters". I have finished the first and started the second one.

And i have been trying my butt off to avoid finding out what happens in the later books.

Recently finished "The Dirt: The Motley Crue Story". Without a doubt one of the top 5 books i have ever read. Nikki Sixx is a very interesting dude. Buy this book and you will not put it down, i promise.

Currently reading " The Messenger " by Daniel Silva

Just finished 2 books by Tim Dorsey " Orange Crush " and " Triggerfish Twist " , without question the 2 funniest books I've ever read, I highly reccomend any Tim Dorsey book to anybody looking for a good laugh. Nobody and I mean nobody writes like Dorsey.

My favorite hemingway book is "death in the afternoon." all about bullfighting.

I saw that one at the library. I will add it to the list based on your recommendation. I just hope the people from the Vick thread don't get wind of it. :)

I saw that one at the library. I will add it to the list based on your recommendation. I just hope the people from the Vick thread don't get wind of it. :)

:hi: I was in cabo for vacation a couple of weeks ago and they had "no blood" bullfighting which kind of defeats the purpose IMO. Not that i don't understand why people have a problem with bullfighting. I just don't see how it is all that much more inhumane than killing them for food. Death in the afternoon does glorify bullfighting i suppose, but he does go into the brutality.

I've been working through James Clavell books: Shogun, Noble House, Taipan (which are all very good). The other two i read King Rat and Gaijin are ok, not great.

Everyone got their copy of Harry Potter? Didn't think so, you guys are all pretty cool, for the most part.
I've spent a lot of time reading literature of all varieties and am man enough to admit that I've read every Harry Potter book cover to cover. The books are extremely well written and very clever.

I'll be the first to raise my hand as not "pretty cool"

VN Store

Back