Official 2014 NBA Draft Thread (Bball forum edition)

He's the size of LeBron but run like Meat from.Porkys

This is not correct...did you not see the results of the NBA combine? :no:

Stokes was faster than many of the point guards and had a surprisingly high vertical. He is a heck of an athlete and I hope the Griz stick with him and give him time to develop as he's only 20 years old.

Harris has missed a lot of games. He also is a not big enough to be a four and not quick enough to be a three. He is more of a sixth man or role bench player.

He's was the 3rd leading scorer on the team and averaged 15 ppg & 7 rpg. I say he's more than a role player.

Harris has missed a lot of games. He also is a not big enough to be a four and not quick enough to be a three. He is more of a sixth man or role bench player.

Not sure what an ankle injury has to do with the question. It's not a chronic injury. And if you say Tobias is a tweener, what exactly are they getting with Aaron Gordon? Cause they're exactly the same size and are both PF stuck in the bodies of SF that can't guard. Tobias gets the nod because he's a better offensive player at this point in his career.

Someone else said it, but Tobias is arguably the magic's most gifted scorer now that Afflalo was traded to Denver. They used him as a 6th man later in the season because management was tanking. Tobias averaged 18 and 8 after the all star break (when he got healthy). He did all this coming off the bench because they were trying to lose games. Tobias would be a good fit as a super sub on playoff team, but on a team like the Magic, he's starter material all the way.

Reactions: 1 person
Damn that sucks, playing for Pop would have been huge for him.

You are wrong.....he went to the perfect team....hard to make the spurs and the sixers don't really have any starting wings so he has a great opportunity....Brett Brown although not pops is a really good coach.

JMO, but I don't think McRae could have been drafted by a worse team. The 76ers drafted 7 players total last night with 5 of those coming in the last round. They took McRae dead last. It seems at least 2 of those 2nd round picks are stash picks where they'll just leave them overseas, but since 2nd round contracts aren't guaranteed, I'd say Jordy has his work cut out for himself to make their roster.

Edit: Ofcourse, you could also say that he is competing with about multiple draft picks for multiple spots or something like that versus competing with a current player on a roster for a single spot. If looked at that way, it seems a little bit better.

Last edited:
Not sure what an ankle injury has to do with the question. It's not a chronic injury. And if you say Tobias is a tweener, what exactly are they getting with Aaron Gordon? Cause they're exactly the same size and are both PF stuck in the bodies of SF that can't guard. Tobias gets the nod because he's a better offensive player at this point in his career.

Someone else said it, but Tobias is arguably the magic's most gifted scorer now that Afflalo was traded to Denver. They used him as a 6th man later in the season because management was tanking. Tobias averaged 18 and 8 after the all star break (when he got healthy). He did all this coming off the bench because they were trying to lose games. Tobias would be a good fit as a super sub on playoff team, but on a team like the Magic, he's starter material all the way.

TH has averaged playing in 53 games per season over the last three years. That means he has missed on average 29 games per season or 35% of the season. Many of those games were due to injuries.
I am not saying TH is a bad player. He is more offense than defense, thus in long run will be more of a complimentary player than the star.
Why the Magic drafted Gordon, who knows. They are at the bottom of the standings for a reason.
You are right on the Magic he is a starter, but put him almost anywhere else and he is 10 and 5 coming off the bench. By the way 10 and 5 coming off the bench is a great way to have a long NBA career.

JMO, but I don't think McRae could have been drafted by a worse team. The 76ers drafted 7 players total last night with 5 of those coming in the last round. They took McRae dead last. It seems at least 2 of those 2nd round picks are stash picks where they'll just leave them overseas, but since 2nd round contracts aren't guaranteed, I'd say Jordy has his work cut out for himself to make their roster.

Edit: Ofcourse, you could also say that he is competing with about multiple draft picks for multiple spots or something like that versus competing with a current player on a roster for a single spot. If looked at that way, it seems a little bit better.
The sixers have only three picks that will be on the roster at the start of the season and they are all second rounders with the other two playing different positions....the sixers don't even have a starting shooting guard let alone a back up.

TH has averaged playing in 53 games per season over the last three years. That means he has missed on average 29 games per season or 35% of the season. Many of those games were due to injuries.
I am not saying TH is a bad player. He is more offense than defense, thus in long run will be more of a complimentary player than the star.
Why the Magic drafted Gordon, who knows. They are at the bottom of the standings for a reason.
You are right on the Magic he is a starter, but put him almost anywhere else and he is 10 and 5 coming off the bench. By the way 10 and 5 coming off the bench is a great way to have a long NBA career.

Dude, you don't know what you're talking about here. Tobias missed a little time during camp and possibly the beginning of his first season due to dehydration issues. He didn't play in Milwaukee because coach's decision, not because of injuries. He was traded to Orlando after the AS break in 12-13, and played every game to finish out the season (while averaging 17/8). His only injury to date was a high ankle sprain at the beginning of this season. Those games per year averages are skewed because the Bucks didn't play him. Health concerns are not a factor in his career outlook.

As far as his role as a bench player, it depends on minutes. His per 36 at the age of 21 is 17/8 with a true shooting % of .542 and a usage % of 22.2. He and Oladipo are going to get the majority of the touches next season. Expect his usage to increase and averages in the 18-20 / 8 range. 10 and 5 may be reasonable if he played a reserve role at 20 min. per night. My point, however, is he truly is an elite scorer with a variety of weapons that's capable of being a feature on offense with the majority of the usage. 2 or 3 option on legitimate playoff teams (4-8 in the east, I'm talking about you). All-star caliber talent in his prime, even if he doesn't make an AS team. He needs to improve his range, and the sky is the limit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Ace your information is a little misled. Tobias has been playing all meaningful minutes. Late last season he played less to give the OQuinns and Nichols of the world a shot to show out in irrelevant games. Everything I hear from orlando is that Tobias is a part of their future plans. His defense isn't bad, he's played many great defensive games as well as his obvious offensive production. Unfortunately I watched every magic game last season to develop this opinion.

Why was Gordon drafted? Who the hell knows. I'm lost by that. I'd rather take Exum and keep the goon from turkey than the way it played out.

Ace your information is a little misled. Tobias has been playing all meaningful minutes. Late last season he played less to give the OQuinns and Nichols of the world a shot to show out in irrelevant games. Everything I hear from orlando is that Tobias is a part of their future plans. His defense isn't bad, he's played many great defensive games as well as his obvious offensive production. Unfortunately I watched every magic game last season to develop this opinion.

Why was Gordon drafted? Who the hell knows. I'm lost by that. I'd rather take Exum and keep the goon from turkey than the way it played out.

What do you think about the trade for Payton? I know nothing about that dude, but it sounds like he has a ton of upside. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be a steal, even at the 10th pick in a deep draft.

If nothing else, the magic may have greatly improved their defense in this draft. They could still use another defender in the post, but that combo of Oladipo and Payton on that side of the ball could be sick. Just need to hide Tobias and Vuc on D. They're headed in the right direction.

Dude, you don't know what you're talking about here. Tobias missed a little time during camp and possibly the beginning of his first season due to dehydration issues. He didn't play in Milwaukee because coach's decision, not because of injuries. He was traded to Orlando after the AS break in 12-13, and played every game to finish out the season (while averaging 17/8). His only injury to date was a high ankle sprain at the beginning of this season. Those games per year averages are skewed because the Bucks didn't play him. Health concerns are not a factor in his career outlook.

As far as his role as a bench player, it depends on minutes. His per 36 at the age of 21 is 17/8 with a true shooting % of .542 and a usage % of 22.2. He and Oladipo are going to get the majority of the touches next season. Expect his usage to increase and averages in the 18-20 / 8 range. 10 and 5 may be reasonable if he played a reserve role at 20 min. per night. My point, however, is he truly is an elite scorer with a variety of weapons that's capable of being a feature on offense with the majority of the usage. 2 or 3 option on legitimate playoff teams (4-8 in the east, I'm talking about you). All-star caliber talent in his prime, even if he doesn't make an AS team. He needs to improve his range, and the sky is the limit.

You obviously have followed his career closely. As a Vol, I hope he becomes an elite player. I just see him as a good player who plays more minutes and gets more touches on a bad team than he would if he played on a good team.

Concerning injuries, I will defer to you. If you say it is skewed because of DNP, then I believe you. I just recall physical issues with the Bucks early in his career and the ankle with the Magic. I did not mean to imply he was injury prone, it is just concerning when a player does not play 1/3 of the season each year.

I do not see him as an All-Star caliber player, but again as a Vol I hope you are right on your evaluation.

You are wrong.....he went to the perfect team....hard to make the spurs and the sixers don't really have any starting wings so he has a great opportunity....Brett Brown although not pops is a really good coach.

Danny Green, Patty Mills, Gary Neal etc etc etc all disagree. Any time you get to play under the GOAT coach is a plus. I'm thinking more long term.

You obviously have followed his career closely. As a Vol, I hope he becomes an elite player. I just see him as a good player who plays more minutes and gets more touches on a bad team than he would if he played on a good team.

Concerning injuries, I will defer to you. If you say it is skewed because of DNP, then I believe you. I just recall physical issues with the Bucks early in his career and the ankle with the Magic. I did not mean to imply he was injury prone, it is just concerning when a player does not play 1/3 of the season each year.

I do not see him as an All-Star caliber player, but again as a Vol I hope you are right on your evaluation.

You're correct in a lot of what you say. Tobias has always slow played a lot of people that watch him, me included, because he puts up points so effortlessly that you don't realize how productive he is until you look at the final stat line.

Danny Green, Patty Mills, Gary Neal etc etc etc all disagree. Any time you get to play under the GOAT coach is a plus. I'm thinking more long term.

Patty mills is from Australia....I know he played college ball some but still. There are several great foreign players scattered throughout the NBA...you take the player u feel is the best no matter where he is from.

Patty mills is from Australia....I know he played college ball some but still. There are several great foreign players scattered throughout the NBA...you take the player u feel is the best no matter where he is from.

Ummm ok, i know that. I was naming guys that playing for Pop improved their games, guys that on other teams might already be out of the league and actually were at one point.

Ummm ok, i know that. I was naming guys that playing for Pop improved their games, guys that on other teams might already be out of the league and actually were at one point.

Sorry wrong convo lol I was talking to someone about foreign players and thought it was that one.....yeah playing under pops would have been great but he would have to make the team first which would be harder with the spurs.

Sorry wrong convo lol I was talking to someone about foreign players and thought it was that one.....yeah playing under pops would have been great but he would have to make the team first which would be harder with the spurs.

Lol I was wondering why you brought that up.I do agree it'll be easier to make the 76ers no doubt. I hope it works out for him, I just hope he doesn't get thrown to the wolves and he's out of the league in 3 years.

Lol I was wondering why you brought that up.I do agree it'll be easier to make the 76ers no doubt. I hope it works out for him, I just hope he doesn't get thrown to the wolves and he's out of the league in 3 years.

No chance. He's still the tougher breed. :hi:

What do you think about the trade for Payton? I know nothing about that dude, but it sounds like he has a ton of upside. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be a steal, even at the 10th pick in a deep draft.

If nothing else, the magic may have greatly improved their defense in this draft. They could still use another defender in the post, but that combo of Oladipo and Payton on that side of the ball could be sick. Just need to hide Tobias and Vuc on D. They're headed in the right direction.

I'm conflicted. Agree on the defense improvement but I felt like Orlando needed a shooter. My perfect draft was Exum and then McDermott. I feel like Gordon is Blake griffin without the offense. Which isn't a fourth pick quality. We still have cap room so I am guessing the afflalo trade is still incomplete in terms of future trade plans.

VN Store

Back