Off season thread. What was everyone's favorite play from the 98 championship game?

Lot of misinformation in this thread about the championship game vs FSU.

Marcus Outzen was the 2nd string QB behind Chris Weinke, not 3rd string. And he wasn't bad; just inexperienced.

My favorite play of the season? The stumble & fumble. Go Vols!

Going into the season, Outzen was to be the 3rd string QB but Dan Kendra (the starting QB) tore up his knee during spring practice, which elevated Weinke to the starting position.

With that being said, UT lost Jamal Lewis so there was injuries both teams had to overcome to get to the National Title Game.

Going into the season, Outzen was to be the 3rd string QB but Dan Kendra (the starting QB) tore up his knee during spring practice, which elevated Weinke to the starting position.

With that being said, UT lost Jamal Lewis so there was injuries both teams had to overcome to get to the National Title Game.

Yeah, Mojo, I don't think you still call a guy "3rd string" (or the starter 2nd string) 12 games later. At some point, you get over the fact that the pre-season line-up changed. Right?

Outzen was the 2nd string QB that entire 1998 season. And Weinke was the starter.

Yeah, Mojo, I don't think you still call a guy "3rd string" (or the starter 2nd string) 12 games later. At some point, you get over the fact that the pre-season line-up changed. Right?

Outzen was the 2nd string QB that entire 1998 season. And Weinke was the starter.

I would agree with you but those that are saying 3rd string aren't completely wrong either (I think their point would be stronger if Kendra's injury happened during Fall practice instead of Spring practice).

As long as Warrick could not get any separation from our DBs, our LBs kept hitting them in the mouth, and our DL got constant pressure, may not have made much difference if the 1998 version of Weinke was the QB...

Reactions: 1 person
I would agree with you but those that are saying 3rd string aren't completely wrong either (I think their point would be stronger if Kendra's injury happened during Fall practice instead of Spring practice).

As long as Warrick could not get any separation from our DBs, our LBs kept hitting them in the mouth, and our DL got constant pressure, may not have made much difference if the 1998 version of Weinke was the QB...

I think they're roughly just as wrong as saying that Paul Chryst (or Jarrett Guarantano, your choice) will be our 3rd string QB all this coming season, because Quinten Dormady used to be in the mix.

No. Dormady is gone. Just like Kendra was gone for FSU long before the season began.

I know it's not you I'm arguing against, man. It's the folks who insist on denigrating Outzen, which in turn cheapens any victory against him.

No. The reason Outzen stunk that night was one simple reason: our lads flat got after him, and never let him breathe.

As for whether Weinke would've done better, I think he might've. Remember, he was like 26 years old, and had an entire season under his belt. He was no super-star (not that year), but I don't think he would have been nearly as easily flustered. Our pressure would still have given him a long night, but I don't think he'd have fallen apart in the late 3rd quarter the way Outzen finally did. That's just my opinion; we'll never know what Weinke would've done.

Pardon me! It was 20 years ago. I was 13 years old. My memory is a little foggy in regards to the exact details. The QB was not the #1 guy.... I remembered the announcer saying in the game that he was the 3rd guy. Im not a fan of Fl. St. so there is no way I am going to know who their 2nd and 3rd anybody's are.

The hit on him by Eric Westmoreland is my favorite play 2.0. I know when he walked back to the sidelines he said " coach why he hit me so hard "

ncf_a_price_600.jpg

3f1fca364a4d6cae28470c0f65cd2366.jpg

Reactions: 5 people
Shawn Bryson's up the gut run against UF. I was so pumped after that one.

Edit: Misread title, thought it said season.

As for the NC game, I can barely remember specifics. I was a ball of nerves the whole game and full of Jack. All I know is that when the clock 0s and saw that we won, it was the best victory cigar I've had ever!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Ways you can tell UT fans are different than Bammers ...We've had posters talk about their fave national title game moments being the UF and Arky game. If UT fans were like Bammers, they would have claimed 2 more national titles for those games!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
When Peter Warrick was running the punt back for what was a SURE TD, and punter David Leaverton Materializes out of the ground and Knocks Warrick on his BUTT saving the Day!! Never forgot that!! :rock::rock:

Last edited:
It was a sloppy game. I don't know if I have a favorite play but if I did it would be the Kicker (Jeff Hall) or Punter stopping Warrick from returning a TD. We ended up preventing them from scoring and killed their momentum early.

Other than that, how we blanked Warrick all game even with the backup CB.

Last edited:
When Warrick Dunn was running the punt back for what was a SURE TD, and punter David Leaverton Materializes out of the ground and Knocks Dunn on his BUTT saving the Day!! Never forgot that!! :rock::rock:

Yup, we prevented them from scoring on that drive too. That really swung the game in our favor afterwards.

Janakowski's kick that touched his belly before going the required 10 yards.

I LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLed.

VN Store

Back