Nuclear Option: Peyton Manning as Head Coach.

Lmao, this is sad...

"But, but, but 14 wins are 3rd most all time!!!"

Yeah, and his 13 losses ARE the most all time in the playoffs... Literally 2 more losses than the next closest... Lmao 8 (EIGHT) home losses!!! NINE one-and-dones...

14-13, and you're defending that... Lmmaaaaaaoooo... Dude EIGHT home losses... In 27 games... Joe Montana started 23 playoff games, had 2 home losses... Brett Favre started 24 games, had 3 home losses...

Spare me the awards accumulated over time... "3rd in wins!!!" Yeah, congrats... Rickey Henderson was an incredibly average hitter, got 3000 hits cause he played for 20 something years... Like lmao, it doesn't matter...

What matters is the overall Winning %, the home losses that SHOULD be wins, the losses when favored, the 1st game playoff exits, the 1st round byes and home field advantages completely squandered... Lmao, yeah, shocking he got some wins... He should have, they had like the most dominant team in the league for like 10 years...

At this point, I'm just choosing to believe you guys are being willfully ignorant to the actual facts, which all speak for themselves... Dude literally choked in the playoffs NINE TIMES!!!

"Yeah, but 14 wins and 2 Superbowls!!!"

Okay, Ashley... I understand... Yes, Peyton is very good!!!
Dumbest most tired argument. Measuring a QB's legacy on super bowl wins and playoff wins alone. It turns out they have entire teams around them.

Joe Montana was the quarterback of the 49ers.

Tom Brady was the QB of the New England Patriots.

Peyton Manning WAS the Colts.

Football is a TEAM sport.

If you played the 49ers or the Patriots, who were you worried about? The entire team.

If you played the Colts you were worried about how bad Peyton Manning was going to completely decimate you.

Nobody ever really worried about the Colts defense or running back.

Who would you rather have Tony Dungy over Bill Walsh and Bill Belichick? No you wouldn't.

When Brady went down in 2008 they put Matt Cassell in and they went 11-5! Matt Cassell is hot garbage! Does he bring the 2008 Colts to an 11-5 record? helllllll no. We saw what happened to the Colts in 2011 when Peyton went down. They immediately became the worst team in the league.

You put Peyton Manning on those 49ers and Patriots teams and they get WORSE?!? Uh no. That's essentially what you are saying though, because the debate is who is the best QB of all time right?

Peyton makes the 49ers and Patriots worse and Joe Montana and Tom Brady make those Colts teams better HA.

Dumbest most tired argument. Measuring a QB's legacy on super bowl wins and playoff wins alone. It turns out they have entire teams around them.

If you played the 49ers or the Patriots, who were you worried about? The entire team.

If you played the Colts you were worried about how bad Peyton Manning was going to completely decimate you.

Who would you rather have Tony Dungy over Bill Walsh and Bill Belichick? No you wouldn't.

When Brady went down in 2008 they put Matt Cassell in and they went 11-5! Matt Cassell is hot garbage! Does he bring the 2008 Colts to an 11-5 record? helllllll no. We saw what happened to the Colts in 2011 when Peyton went down. They immediately became the worst team in the league.

You put Peyton Manning on those 49ers and Patriots teams and they get WORSE?!? Uh no. That's essentially what you are saying though, because the debate is who is the best QB of all time right?

Peyton makes the 49ers and Patriots worse and Joe Montana and Tom Brady make those Colts teams better HA.

LMAO, clearly you're a drastically, drastically uninformed person... Here are the years the Colts defense ranked inside the Top 10 for scoring:

2002 - 7th
2005 - 2nd
2007 - 1st
2008 - 7th
2009 - 8th

They were inside the top 6 in TO ratio every year from 2002 through 2008... Yeah, no one worried about Dwight Freeney or Robert Mathis or Bob Sanders or Cato June ever... They had one of the fastest defenses in the NFL most years lmao, definitely the fastest front 7 for sure...

And no one worried about their running back??? What??? They traded Marshall Faulk to get Edgerin James... Edge was a beast... They also had 2 of the best receivers in the league for a LONG TIME... At the SAME TIME...

Everyone worried about the Patriots entire team??? Lmao, who??? What WR scared you on the Patriots??? Deion Branch??? David Givens??? Troy Brown??? Holy hell, lol and lol on you... Yeah, they traded for Moss after they'd already won 3 SBs

Peyton got injured and yeah, they became the worst team in the league... FOR ONE SEASON... (And/or they tanked) And then all of a sudden they get a new QB and wow, the Colts proceed to go 33-15 over the next 3 seasons... Wow, funny how that works isn't it...

Then what is your solution? You think your snide negativity is going to have any fix/solution for us? This type of BS comment will be the thing that keeps us a Vanderbilt tier football program.

Come on dude! You joined last month and you have all these world changing ideas huh?

Lurk for a year. Read and learn. Think more. Post less.

Peyton Manning has zero interest in being the head coach, the offensive coordinator or the qb coach. He's a multi-millionaire retiree that doesn't need 1. The money or 2. The aggravation.
Name all of the HoF NFL quarterbacks with a successful college head coaching career. Or.........a college head coaching career.

There's a reason for that.

After Harbaugh wins the big ten this year, that maye the light bulb y’all need see the potential of a former player becoming a coach.

I get it. Tennessee never thinks innovatively. And we should just follow what everyone else does and we can hire rhe crumbs from Saban’s table. And maybe we’ll catch lightning in a bottle.

Seeing the lack of vision from the replies has me almost completely sure we’ll never be good at football again.

Pruitt is going to drain the cupboards. 2 years from now we’re going to start a coaching search that will result in another subpar hire. And the cycle continues.

You know what won’t have as much value over time? Peyton as HC for immediate recruiting impact.

Peyton as HC has time value, and I’m sure most of y’all have no concept of time value so I’m probably wasting my logic here.

This aged well.

Peyton Manning bleeds orange. He’s still a guy that kids playing now/recruits watched growing up.

There’s no way Peyton is not thinking about getting involved watching his beloved Alma mater flounder the way we have been.

I know Scott Frost at Nebraska and Harbaugh at Michigan haven’t been immediate successes—but I am very confident both of those men are going to get their Alma maters back to where they should be.

I think Michigan might win the Big Ten this year. And I think Frost is going to have Nebraska competitive in the next 2-3 years.

Peyton is a football genius. He’s known for knowing what is going to happen before anyone else on the field did. He is a gamer/strategist on the field, and I believe that will translate to coaching success.

He’s got the charisma and the ability to bring in elite staff.

Now is the time to start seriously considering getting Peyton in orange as the face of this program.

I think he will end up restoring Tennessee football and making us elite again.
That would make us South Michigan.

Peyton Manning bleeds orange. He’s still a guy that kids playing now/recruits watched growing up.

There’s no way Peyton is not thinking about getting involved watching his beloved Alma mater flounder the way we have been.

I know Scott Frost at Nebraska and Harbaugh at Michigan haven’t been immediate successes—but I am very confident both of those men are going to get their Alma maters back to where they should be.

I think Michigan might win the Big Ten this year. And I think Frost is going to have Nebraska competitive in the next 2-3 years.

Peyton is a football genius. He’s known for knowing what is going to happen before anyone else on the field did. He is a gamer/strategist on the field, and I believe that will translate to coaching success.

Now is the time to start seriously considering getting Peyton in orange as the face of this program.

Forget it. It ain't going to happen.

The man has meticulously prepared himself for his job his entire life but would take a coordinator or HC gig ice cold. Says it all.

That Umich prediction is turning out good...

That was 7 less wins than they had the previous season. Manning isn't the best of all time but he probably is top 5 QB of all time

That was 7 less wins than they had the previous season. Manning isn't the best of all time but he probably is top 5 QB of all time

Plus they didn't make the playoffs. Also yeah Cassell wasn't great but he did go start for the Chiefs for 4 seasons and even made the Pro Bowl in 2010. The people the Colts played at QB in 2011, Dan Orlovsky and Curtis Painter, didn't do anything after they filled in for Manning. Painter played one more season in 2013 for the Giants and Orlovsky was a backup for 5 more seasons for the Bucs and Lions.

Also Patriots don't seem to be doing too great without Brady this year.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
Yep, as dense as I thought. He has 13 losses because he got to the playoffs more than virtually any other quarterback to play football in the NFL and his teams were often below average on defense and below average in the running game. Two of his playoff losses he walked off the field with easily makeable fgs for the win lined up, Vanderjagdt missed both. His team led in the final 40 seconds of the 4th quarter 4 times in playoff losses. But somehow it's his fault that the defense couldn't stop anyone on the other side. ln one of his losses he left the field after leading the Colts to the go ahead score with 53 seconds left and they gave up a 50 yard kick return, an 18 yard pass and the game winning field goal. Clearly his fault. In a game against Pittsburgh Nick Harper picked up a Jerome Bettis fumble and was heading on a clear path to the endzone when Roethlisberger made what is still termed a "miraculous tackle" then Vanderjagdt promptly missed a game tying field goal with seconds to go. 6 of his 13 losses were to the eventual Super Bowl champion. In three of the losses the opposing running backs had a combined 690 total yards. They lost to San Diego by 4 points in a playoff game where Marvin Harrison fumbled and it was returned for a touchdown, the defense gave up almost 400 yards and 21 points in the second half. Manning had 402 yards passing and 3 touchdowns in the loss. The next year he left the field ahead of San Diego, the defense got multiple penalties and San Diego tied it at the last minute, won the toss, the defense got more penalties in the overtime drive and San Diego scored the game winning touchdown without Manning ever touching the ball again.

This take of yours here demonstrates that you are probably the least knowledgeable poster on VN regarding football, an impressive feat.

As for Manning's place in NFL history who should we listen to, village idiot or the list of coaches, NFL executives and players who voted Manning the 2nd best QB of all time in a 2017 ESPN poll of them. Who should we listen to, you or Bill Belichick who said Peyton was the best quarterback he ever coached against in his entire career, which includes every quarterback in the NFL since 1975 except Tom Brady. Maybe we should look at the NFL top 100 all-time list the league produced last year with input from virtually everyone who knows anything about NFL football. It has Manning as the 8th greatest player in league history among all positions, or maybe we should listen to you instead...tough choice.
Great post. I think I’ll listen to Belicheck and other experts rather than some of our residents who haven’t graduated from mama’s basement yet. Case closed. Next subject.

Every time I hear someone say something like this I cringe a little inside. But a Hall of fame player and Hall of fame coach are two totally different things. This post made me think really hard on it trying to remember one case where a hall of fame player at the NFL level went on to coach at a high level in college or the pros. There have been quite a few journeymen and decent players that have went onto be great coaches. Like Spurrier.but the closest I can think of is Mike Singletary and he didn't last long.

It seems to me in football a Head Coach at the collegiate/pro level and a Star ZPlayer are totally different animals. Most Head coaches were either fair to middling or never really played. I only spent a few minutes thinking and googling this but if im wrong someone please show me the precedent. Where a Hall of Fame level NFL player went on to great success coaching anything past high school?

Bill Belichick was 41-55 as a HC before Tom Brady became his starter. He’s obviously waves better as a tactician, personnel man and culture establisher and deserves all the acclaim he’s received. But that’s why a franchise QB is so valued. Landing one and building around him makes every other area easier. They make WR’s and running backs better. I know as a Bears fan...haven’t had one since Sid Luckman in the 50’s. An average HC can win a SB with a great QB. A great HC can win one with an average QB. To win seven BOTH are great. Now we’re seeing a great HC struggle with an average to below level starter who can’t elevate his targets and a great QB flourish with a very good HC and weapons he hasn’t had available in a long time, if ever. I don’t know if either would have ended up great without the other...or the “Tuck Rule”.

"You can't fix stupid". John Wayne

Y
Has there ever been a player with a reputation for being a complete acolyte of the game of football? That’s what made Peyton—PEYTON.

His checkdowns/audibles and understanding what defenses were doing and making adjustments from the line as a QB is the secret sauce that made Peyton an ELITE player.

If that doesn’t translate to coaching....I don’t know what else would.

How about charisma? Is there a more charismatic figure in all of football than Peyton. Should translate to football recruiting. Finally—what else do we have to lose at this point?
You are missing one important fact. Peyton doesn’t want to coach and if he did it would already have started at a lower position. Peyton may follow Elway’s path into management if he ever got back into football.

After Harbaugh wins the big ten this year, that maye the light bulb y’all need see the potential of a former player becoming a coach.

I get it. Tennessee never thinks innovatively. And we should just follow what everyone else does and we can hire rhe crumbs from Saban’s table. And maybe we’ll catch lightning in a bottle.

Seeing the lack of vision from the replies has me almost completely sure we’ll never be good at football again.

Pruitt is going to drain the cupboards. 2 years from now we’re going to start a coaching search that will result in another subpar hire. And the cycle continues.

You know what won’t have as much value over time? Peyton as HC for immediate recruiting impact.

Peyton as HC has time value, and I’m sure most of y’all have no concept of time value so I’m probably wasting my logic here.

tenor.gif

Reactions: butchna

VN Store

Back