Not gonna defend Holly but.....

Nared, Russell and DeShields have lived up to expectations IMO. Maybe Middleton as a role player.

One problem is lack of rapid player development. Nared, Russell and Middleton should have been putting up these numbers last year. Jordan never developed. The bigger problem is that even though The Big Three have great individual stats, their cohesiveness as a team makes the sum lesser than the parts...which is coaching, as I'm sure you're trying to get me to say.

The only thing I disagree on Russell is her defensive development. I think this is one of the reasons she is not listed as a top potential WNBA player. I feel that this is a coaching issue. She is not very aggressive on defense and she does not block out very well. If somehow her defense improves, compared to her offense, she is an All American.

Saniya Chong was also the Parade POY ahead of Diamond. Nurse was an international player who was not scouted much by Hoopgurlz until she committed to UConn IIRC.

Having said that, Reynolds and Middleton are upperclassmen who have not improved (Jordan) or not delivered (Alexa) at the collegiate level. Maybe as 17 year olds, they were seen as stronger prospects, but in real time both of them (and Jackson) are not even middle of the road guards.

The sophomore from Auburn and Hicks from VT are other examples of lowly rated Hoopgurlz guards that played Tennessee H2H this year that are leagues better than Tennessee's guards. I don't think there's any argument that both of them are vastly superior players in spite of how Hoopgurlz ranked them.

I've said this before, but I'll repeat it. Fans pay attention to the ESPN and other publicly published recruit rankings. The best WCBB coaches do not. They have their own scouts, private scouting services, and staff that knows how to evaluate high school talent. They take into account ALL the variables... size, build, work habits, level of competition, coaching they've received, overall athleticism, and many other factors. The best coaches also know how to get players that fit their needs and will work well in their culture of play, even though they'll change their style of play to best use the talents of the recruits they bring in.

Sometimes gut instinct plays an important part. Pat had great instincts. Geno does. Kim does. And some coaches at middle-of-the-pack programs who might never get a "Top 100" recruit seem to be able to come up with some under-rated gems.

Sure, every year there are a handful of kids that everybody knows are going to be good. And the best coaches work to get their share of those, as well. Then, once you've established your program it gets easier to get those kids... but you still need to bring in those under-rated role players to make your program elite. And then you have to develop ALL your players to reach their potential.

Even the best coaches make mistakes. Watch the last quarter of a UConn game and you'll wonder if Geno was out to lunch on a couple of these recruits. Plus he loses some who, despite his extensive vetting, just can't put up with the rigors of him and his program. (But he usually cuts his losses pretty quick, even if it leaves him short-handed.)

Being the head coach of a Top 20 basketball team is as multi-faceted and as hard as being the CEO of a mid-sized company that loses 25% of its workforce every year. That's why they make the big bucks. Many people are able to work their way up and put themselves in a position to get the job. But that doesn't mean they'll be any good at it. Most that do get good at it in today's environment (as opposed to when Pat started) spend a few years in a few different programs to get their legs under them. But the majority of those that spend those years in various programs at various levels never reach the pinnacle of their profession.

Holly came in under tough circumstances. Who wants to follow a legend? Plus, many believe the program was already slipping a bit as the WCBB landscape had changed. She's never worked anywhere else. The Peter Principle may be at work, in that she might have been a good assistant promoted up to her level of relative incompetence.

Holly is not an awful coach. She may or may not be in the upper 25% of all WCBB coaches. But when the fans have been used to having a coach in the top 1%, it's pretty hard to settle for less. But, over time, they may have to get used to it. Unless UT can catch lightning in a bottle again.

Reactions: 2 people
All ratings via Hoopgurlz

UT
Middleton #28 in 2014. (5 spots above Nurse)
Reynolds #47 in 2013

uconn
Nurse #33. In 2014
Chong #80 in 2013

I'm cognizant of the fact that ratings are not an exact science. But an independent, experienced evaluator gave the edge to us in both years.
So, were we we just unlucky in signing these players (and uconn lucky) or are there other reasons ?
Chong was their only recruit that year as they were already loaded with AA's Also Nurse had been playing with the Canadian national team .

Last edited:
I've said this before, but I'll repeat it. Fans pay attention to the ESPN and other publicly published recruit rankings. The best WCBB coaches do not. They have their own scouts, private scouting services, and staff that knows how to evaluate high school talent. They take into account ALL the variables... size, build, work habits, level of competition, coaching they've received, overall athleticism, and many other factors. The best coaches also know how to get players that fit their needs and will work well in their culture of play, even though they'll change their style of play to best use the talents of the recruits they bring in.

Sometimes gut instinct plays an important part. Pat had great instincts. Geno does. Kim does. And some coaches at middle-of-the-pack programs who might never get a "Top 100" recruit seem to be able to come up with some under-rated gems.

Sure, every year there are a handful of kids that everybody knows are going to be good. And the best coaches work to get their share of those, as well. Then, once you've established your program it gets easier to get those kids... but you still need to bring in those under-rated role players to make your program elite. And then you have to develop ALL your players to reach their potential.

Even the best coaches make mistakes. Watch the last quarter of a UConn game and you'll wonder if Geno was out to lunch on a couple of these recruits. Plus he loses some who, despite his extensive vetting, just can't put up with the rigors of him and his program. (But he usually cuts his losses pretty quick, even if it leaves him short-handed.)

Being the head coach of a Top 20 basketball team is as multi-faceted and as hard as being the CEO of a mid-sized company that loses 25% of its workforce every year. That's why they make the big bucks. Many people are able to work their way up and put themselves in a position to get the job. But that doesn't mean they'll be any good at it. Most that do get good at it in today's environment (as opposed to when Pat started) spend a few years in a few different programs to get their legs under them. But the majority of those that spend those years in various programs at various levels never reach the pinnacle of their profession.

Holly came in under tough circumstances. Who wants to follow a legend? Plus, many believe the program was already slipping a bit as the WCBB landscape had changed. She's never worked anywhere else. The Peter Principle may be at work, in that she might have been a good assistant promoted up to her level of relative incompetence.

Holly is not an awful coach. She may or may not be in the upper 25% of all WCBB coaches. But when the fans have been used to having a coach in the top 1%, it's pretty hard to settle for less. But, over time, they may have to get used to it. Unless UT can catch lightning in a bottle again.

I love your analyses of what the situation might be with then LV program. There are just a core group of Holly supporters that just can't get it through their heads that this situation might not be suited for Holly. I think she is a good person that she means well. I would like to see her take the new recruits and what we have left of this present squad and hone them into a top ten program. She has done well in the last five years, however, the competition is getting better, as well as the coaching, I think that if a coach lacks the ability to develop their players the elite 8 will become more and more difficult to achieve. Look how the LV's have slipped in the SEC. Unfortunately, I believe no matter how low the program falls Holly will need to be fired. Next year's crop along with what we have, should show a vast improvement, if not I do not see us getting any better.

Reactions: 1 person
The only thing I disagree on Russell is her defensive development. I think this is one of the reasons she is not listed as a top potential WNBA player. I feel that this is a coaching issue. She is not very aggressive on defense and she does not block out very well. If somehow her defense improves, compared to her offense, she is an All American.

Her defense was ahead of her offense as a freshman. Now it has reversed. She lacks the defensive intensity of top-tier posts.

What in the world does being a team or a Holly supporter have to do with whether they win or not?

The crux of the situation in this forum is that there are Holly haters who post here every day and who choose to attack those who don't agree with them or offer alternative viewpoints. What difference does it make in the end whether one supports or does not support the coaching staff? You act like you have some omnipotent power because you write your condescending drivel in a forum. All you are doing is showing how immature you really are and how much of a grip on reality you have lost.

I support the team and I don't believe, as a fan, I have the unequivocal right to slander others as many here do in their frustration. You malcontents need to get over yourselves and accept life for what it is. You are only going to change what you have control over and this team and that coaching staff is not one of those things.

Reactions: 3 people
good grief people how many seasons of disappointment do you need from completely different rosters to realize that the problem is not the players?

Reactions: 5 people
good grief people how many seasons of disappointment do you need from completely different rosters to realize that the problem is not the players?

it will take a complete collapse (losing season+not making tournament) for everyone to come to that conclusion.

It is definitely both but we have three or four players that can't even catch the ball. Diamond had ten turnovers and over half was deciding to pass to a teammate who then fumbled it away.

Reactions: 1 person
she's not responsible for global warming or low interest rates on CDs. Players standing around on offense is her fault. Players not knowing where to rotate on defense is her fault. Spending so long in the timeout with Dean discussing strategy that the timeout is over before she can talk to the players is her fault. Strategy is her fault. Not benching players that she later says are basically lazy a$$e$ is her fault.But come on. Some of the plays in this game looked like 3rd grade gym class. Passes attempted to Russell that were physically and scientifically impossible. A pass to a wide open Russell from 12 feet away that missed by 6 feet. Dribbling balls off knees and feet. Chasing balls that were clearly touched by Georgia and knocking them out of bounds instead of letting it go out. Trying to corral loose balls with 1 hand and dribble instead of using 2 hands and getting the ball under control. Trying to make 1 handed passes off the bounce and missing the target by 1 area code. Hitting the bottom of the rim with a shot. Shooting airballs from 3 feet. Bouncing layups so hard off the glass they ricochet to the free throw line. Trying to impersonate Curly Neal in a crowd when you really dribble like Barbara Bush.I could go on but my fingers are cramping. There is plenty of blame to go around and Holly has to take her fair share-but jeez-this team looks at times like Forrest Gump has been cloned and is playing all 5 positions.

Grump was a great football player. and ping-pong player and marathon walker and shrimp boater and soldier and husband,son and father.
Dang , he was successful in everything he did.
No this team doesn't look like Forrest, but if he can be clone I'm down for it.
And trade Holly for Samuel L. Jackson for bonus

Dean coached both her and Izzy. What was Izzy rated coming in. Can't blame the coach.

Russell was the no. 1 recruit in the country and is one of the best centers in the country. Is she great? No, not at all, but she is somewhere betweeen good and very good, and is putting up good numbers. I don't much like her defense--she does not clog the paint as a player with her size should, because she tends to chase her mark all over the court, which is stupid, and her awareness of where the ball is is not particularly good. That said, everybody in the country would love to have her.

Nared and DD are two of the most athletic and talented wings in the country. Both can dribble and take the ball to the basket, both can shoot, both can rebound and play good defense. DD was national freshman of the year. They are players. Problem is, they are inconsistent and each tries at different times to do too much. DD is prone to commit turnovers. Are there teams for which these two would not be starters?

At guard, Reynolds is big and athletic. We should be getting more from her--she underachieves. Coaching? Yea, probably. Jackson has excellent size and athleticism--a very nice defensive complement to our offensive talent, and she doesn't mind taking big shots. And for all the talk, we have a couple of quality subs as well.

Does UConn have a starting 5 that is 30 points better than our five? Nope. But they have a coach who is 30 points better--that is beyond dispute. How many of the teams that have beaten us this year have a more highly recruited or talented starting five? One, maybe--IF THAT? But basketball isn't a game where you just roll your talent out on the floor and expect to win. No game is. You have to have the coaching. Who said they had to be as talented as Parker and Anosike and company? That's not the point. The point is, are they talented enough and good enough to beat any given opponent. That answer to that should be yes, but it takes more than talent.

Mouth full.Well put.

VN Store

Back