Not for nothing. . .

Looks like Mosqueda Lewis is out indefinitely with a nerve bruise.
Not sure how long she'll be out but that Maryland game on Friday could put a Loss under their record.
Morgan Tuck is out for like 4-6 wks.

Time for the teams that are playing against them to get em while they're wounded & shorthanded!

My guess is that they'll be fine. Stewart grew up a lot since last year. Dolson and Hartley are Seniors and pretty consistent contributors. The only concern for them would be if 1 to all 3 of those players got into foul trouble, which in any other year wouldn't be an issue, but with this rule change, who the heck knows? If that did happen, any top 10 team should be able to take advantage imo. I'm just not sold on their bench and depth yet.

Reactions: 1 person
In their game against Stanford, Stewart only played 17 minutes, scoring 9 points and snagging 4 rebounds.
Mosqueda-Lewis and Tuck, on the other hand, scored 20 points between them. Clearly, if they had been out that entire game someone else would have had to step up. The question is, who?

Jim

In their game against Stanford, Stewart only played 17 minutes, scoring 9 points and snagging 4 rebounds.
Mosqueda-Lewis and Tuck, on the other hand, scored 20 points between them. Clearly, if they had been out that entire game someone else would have had to step up. The question is, who?

Jim

Dolson and/or Hartley would be my guess. I also wouldn't count on Stewart being in foul trouble that often again, although, with the new rules, everything is a crap shoot until this thing works itself out.

It will be an adjustment but I do see a downward trend.

UT Opponet
33 25 MTSU
24 27 UNC
18 18 UTC

Here is exerts of link for foul story:
"I think the officials are doing what they're supposed to do," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said after his fourth-ranked Blue Devils lost to No. 5 Kansas 94-83 Tuesday night. "Everyone just has to keep adjusting. Too much is being said about it. Start playing the way we're supposed to play. We had three great guys, guys who are big-time officials. I thought they reffed a terrific game and we have to adjust. That's the way it is."

Both men's and women's games averaged nearly an identical 42 fouls a game in the first few days according to STATS. That's seven more than last season for the men and 10 for the women.

Fouls and Scoring up in College Basketball - ABC News

Conn is great team and good coach. but the attitude including cussing to help intimidate is a negative reflection of the coach.

And they attract the types of players who come with that attitude. Swagger? or something else.

I guess that is why they get all upset when someone calls them "Lady Huskies" eh? no ladies there!

Reactions: 3 people
So, who do I think would win between UCONN's 6-10

Morgan Tuck, Kiah Stokes, Saniya Chong, Tierney Lawlor, Brianna Banks

versus UT's 6-10?

Jasmine Jones, Mercedes Russell, Jordan Reynolds, Andraya Carter, Nia Moore

UT by 20 plus IMO. You disagree? UCONN rarely goes to its bench to begin with. That's kinda the point I'm making. UT has had a deep bench year in and year out partly out of necessity and partly because of talent and parity. I favor our bench over any in the country.
Yes, I disagree (I'm sure that doesn't surprise you). Tenn hasn't faced any real competition yet. uconn had defeated Stanford. Russell vs Stokes - Stokes had a double double vs Stanford and would easily control Russell, who may be a quality player at some future time, but not living up to #1 rating now. Too physically weak, can't jump, can't even dunk at her height.

Jones vs Tuck - Jones is superior at fouling and turnovers. Tuck would start on any other program in the nation.

Carter is a real talent, but instead of continuing this comparison, please take a look at the stats on the players you want to compare, it seems certain you haven't done this based on the statements you're making.

Without commenting on the "can't even dunk" or expectation that a freshmen is going to be sufficiently strong - I agree about the assumption that until the LVs consistently play with a killer instinct and reduce the unforced turnovers they would have difficulty containing UConn. UConn can be beaten but they will never be blown out something they frequently to other talented teams.

And after conference play starts in January for other top teams - UConn will not even be challenged except for two non-conference games the rest of the year. Their practices will be far more intense games within their conference.

Without commenting on the "can't even dunk" or expectation that a freshmen is going to be sufficiently strong - I agree about the assumption that until the LVs consistently play with a killer instinct and reduce the unforced turnovers they would have difficulty containing UConn. UConn can be beaten but they will never be blown out something they frequently to other talented teams.

And after conference play starts in January for other top teams - UConn will not even be challenged except for two non-conference games the rest of the year. Their practices will be far more intense games within their conference.
I apologize for the dunk comment. It was a bit mean. Certainly uconn can be beaten. They probably should have lost to Maryland last night if Brenda had coached a decent game. Thomas was hot for MD. Hartley was 4 for 21 and 0-11 from 3pt. (Doing her Simmons impression). Uconn was in foul trouble the whole game, yet they won easily by 15 going away. No doubt uconn will not be challenged in conference play except with the short bench, and new rules, anything can happen. The bench will see significant minutes which will help in March once Tuck and Mosqueda-Lewis are back. I will have to concede your point that the LV bench would beat the uconn bench because of the injuries, uconn no longer has a bench!

Who on the UConn team can dunk? I don't think any of them can and I know their 6'5" center Dolson might not be able to get the rim. I remember when she was a freshman she wasn't playing half as good as Mercedes is playing right now. I agree Mercedes needs strength but she is a very good player already and will be a super player as a sophomore.

Last edited:
Who on the UConn team can dunk? I don't think any of them can and I know their 6'5" center Dolson might not be able to get the rim. I remember when she was a freshman she wasn't playing half as good as Mercedes is playing right now. I agree Mercedes needs strength but she is a very good player already and will be a super player as a sophomore.
Don't know if Dolson can dunk or not. Breanna Stewart can definitely dunk. Girl Dunks TWICE! 6'3 Breanna Stewart In The McDonalds Dunk Contest! - YouTube

No doubt Mercedes is a good player and will improve. It's just that she hasn't lived up to #1 in the nation like most #1s do. Dolson wasn't that highly ranked out of High School #39 I believe.

Don't know if Dolson can dunk or not. Breanna Stewart can definitely dunk. Girl Dunks TWICE! 6'3 Breanna Stewart In The McDonalds Dunk Contest! - YouTube

No doubt Mercedes is a good player and will improve. It's just that she hasn't lived up to #1 in the nation like most #1s do. Dolson wasn't that highly ranked out of High School #39 I believe.

I'm sure you know Dolson can't dunk and you have no way of knowing whether Mercedes can or not. Her high school coach said she could dunk a volley ball so if she can build up her grip might see it coming later in her career.

It is not even revelant to what kind of basketball player she is as none of the UConn players have ever dunked in a game. If the dunk is not a weapon it means nothing. Putting the ball in the basket is all that is revelant and that is what the UConn post have done well and what Mercedes is doing well in her first few games.

Last edited:
I'm sure you know Dolson can't dunk and you have no way of knowing whether Mercedes can or not. Her high school coach said she could dunk a volley ball so if she can build up her grip might see it coming later in her career.

It is not even revelant to what kind of basketball player she is as none of the UConn players have ever dunked in a game. If the dunk is not a weapon it means nothing. Putting the ball in the basket is all that is revelant and that is what the UConn post have done well and what Mercedes is doing well in her first few games.
It's not the actual dunking that's important, it's the ability to jump and reach that high, and dunking is an indicator of that ability. I mentioned Mercedes not being able to dunk because a reliable person (perhaps her HS coach), said she couldn't. It was in the context of not having to even jump in high school. Perhaps I'll find that source.

Can Graves dunk? Catchings? Holdsclaw and how about Barkley's ability to rebound in both his college and NBA Career. Griner was not a great rebounder

Position, good hands, blocking out, hang time, ability to detect where the ball might come off set good rebounders apart.

come on,she has played in 4 games give her some time,i don't think we will see how good she can be for a couple of more years

Can Graves dunk? Catchings? Holdsclaw and how about Barkley's ability to rebound in both his college and NBA Career. Griner was not a great rebounder

Position, good hands, blocking out, hang time, ability to detect where the ball might come off set good rebounders apart.
I agree with your criteria for good rebounding except for hang time. I pretty certain gravity effects all players the same way. I'll add a few criteria you left out: strength, arm length, body mass, conditioning. Griner wasn't a good rebounder for her height because she was easy to move out of position and she was somewhat lazy.

come on,she has played in 4 games give her some time,i don't think we will see how good she can be for a couple of more years
OK, you're right, sorry. Agree it will take a couple years for her to develop her full potential. Her work ethic is great, so she may get there. 5's take the most time to develop. I just think it's unrealistic to think she's going to make the team a Nat Champion in her first year.

i do have to agree on the unrealistic part for her to make a huge difference in her freshmen year,people tend to forget,that she needs to be in the program for a year or two,to see how well she does,as most players do

If there was a reason why I think we wouldn't win the National Championship this year it would be three point shooting. I think if this team can get to the final four that would be a huge accomplishment for them. Next year the three point shooters are coming and we certainly should have a team capable of winning it all.

i'm hoping for the sweet 16 and then worry about it from there Volfan it will be gravy from there,got to get there first though

VN Store

Back