North Carolina is going to get it...

When something actually happens to UNC, then I will believe it. Based on the ignorance of the NCAA, I suspect very little to happen. Definitely won't be the SMU type death penalty.

looks like Southen Miss is that one

Tn will probably get hit harder, because they are scared. Someone help me out with this, iirc someone said in another thread that UNC was basically daring the NCAA. Anybody know how UNC is handling this?

it'll be just like Miami. everybody was going on about how the ncaa was going to lower the boom on them and the ncaa didn't do crap. the ncaa is a joke.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't know. I think UNC basketball is too much of a cash cow for the NCAA to deal out the death penalty to them.

I think they'll get penalized, badly. And I think they SHOULD get the death penalty in multiple sports...

But unfortunately, I think money will talk in this one.

I agree with you. They won't do it but they should.

I still wish someone would explain to me how the basketball alone is responsible for 20 players per year taking these classes. I've never seen a college basketball team have that many players, unless we're counting some sort of practice squad.

I still wish someone would explain to me how the basketball alone is responsible for 20 players per year taking these classes. I've never seen a college basketball team have that many players, unless we're counting some sort of practice squad.

10 players X 2 semesters? :dunno:

That is nothing but a WAG.

This thread was simply to root out all the Duke fans posing as UT fans. Heels simply need to buy some indulgences and wipe out those sins of the past....King Michael of Chapel Hill

I think the best punishment would be to make all teams at UNC that had players skip classes have their scholarships cut by 50% for 4 years. Then give those scholarships to low income high school students with high GPAs. On top of that make UNC donate 25% (give or take alittle) of their profits from basketball and football (the other sports don't make money anyway) to scholarships and charities.

Throw in a two year bowl ban and four years of probation, and justice is served.

The death penalty will never be given again IMO. It's shown how it can destroy a program (SMU). If the NCAA tried to give a team the death penalty, they may push for a new system and try to get enough teams to overthrow the NCAA.

I thought I read somewhere that N.C. was giving the NCAA the "Auburn treatment". Did N.C. say they are cooperating with NCAA or are they lawyering up?

This thread was simply to root out all the Duke fans posing as UT fans. Heels simply need to buy some indulgences and wipe out those sins of the past....King Michael of Chapel Hill

In Chapel Hill it's "Supreme Leader" or "General Secretary" not King. By the way Michael Jordan is a dick. I said it, I don't care. He is.

One of my degrees is from UNC so I hate to say it, but if they don't get the death penalty, the NCAA has no credibility.
If the university is indeed complicit then I personally don't see how any offense could actually be more aggregious.

I don't know how the ncaa could not give them the death penalty and still seem even remotely fair and legit. UNC is just about forcing their hand on this. The ncaa will have no "institutional control" if they sweep this under the rug or give a wrist slap.

The NCAA is a joke and everyone knows it, The absolute worse thing that will happen to UNC is super duper double triple probation a loss of a couple schollies for basketball and football and maybe a 2 or 3 year ban from post season play. All of which is harsh for any program but they absolutely deserve the death penalty, if ANY team ever really deserved the death penalty it's them.

I don't believe the NCAA will ever hand down the death penalty again. There is too much at stake, and it would effect the ACC as a whole and every other school UNC plays on it's schedule. These conferences make money as a group, and that would effectively punish other schools who had nothing to do with it. I think they are looking at scholarship reductions and probably a post season ban. JMO.

Well, in SMUs case the players were allowed to transfer, it wouldn't hurt the ACC as badly as you think. NC state would become a destination for talent, as would wake. Plus consider the influx of teams from the big east, the ACC will survive if UNC gets the death penalty.

One word as to why the NCAA will NEVER issue the death penalty to a power 5 school.

TELEVISION!

VN Store

Back