North Carolina Buyout??

Do you agree with MH's/DD's decision to request out of the UNC/UT game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How does getting manhandled by a top-25 team help recruiting? Doesn't it make more sense to schedule a win and be closer to bowl eligibilty and the extra practice time it brings? Also, people will buy tickets to the Buffalo game because they will be included in the season tickets that thousands of people buy every year. That game will generate more revenue than an away game. Right now it's about trying to help DD and his staff turn things around, not what may or may not make a few fans more or less excited about one game.

So I'm guessing you think were going to get manhandled by Oregon, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina this year? There all better than UNC, hell throw in Kentucky and Ole Miss they're just as good. Why even play this season or next... I didn't know 8-5 4-4 in conference UNC was so great might as well go ahead and get rid of NC State since they beat them last year. I can only imagine the beat down they're gonna put on us :mf_surrender:

If we lose to Buffalo, this decision will have no importance at all, except that we'll have another chance at an opponent who isn't in a BCS conference in '12. And if we can't beat Buffalo in '11, then we don't need to be playing a top-level schedule in '12, either.

Professionals have to make decisions based on judgments and without full and perfect knowledge of the future. The judgment is that Buffalo is not as good as UNC and that an approximate top 25 SOS instead of an approximate top 10 SOS in '11 will benefit UT's football program in the short and long run and it is therefore worth doing, in spite of the minor PR hit and possible inconvenience to fans.

So let's just schedule teams we are sure to beat every year and petition the NCAA to change conferences so we don't have to play in the big bad SEC.

Who said we would be manhandled and how will Carolina be a top 25 team next year? They are barely a top 25 team now with the best team they have fielded in 15 years. This time next year we have more talent than Carolina does.

We also recruit more from NC than Buffalo unless Dooley is going to change that. We should be playing NC.

Last edited:
did anyone ever clarify exactly what is going on? I tried reading through the pages of this thread, but 29 is a lot! :)

BINGO! Cupcakes equal wins.....9- 10 wins in the SEC= BCS bowl berth. Simple as that. Does not matter who the wins are against, but it matters that you have at leat 9 or so.

And 9 or 10 wins buys CDD more time and doesn't make Hamilton look so bad on his hire. By the way I like the CDD hire just looking at it from Hamilton's point of view
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Instead of lowering our schedule to our so called "talent" level how about raising out talent level to our traditional schedules level.

I made three statements in my original post.

1. He was trying to save face
2. It was a sissy move
3. He knew that they would say "no"

And then you diverted into something totally unrelated. I don't care what Bama does I just know this feels cowardly.

I fixed your post (bold)

Let’s recap; because one of us is missing it and I don’t think it is me.

He knew they would say no ....

Why? Bama asked GA Tech and Tech said "Yes".

Bama asked years out and the reason they didn't want to play Tech was because they installed Johnson's offense so to me it is very different situations.

Which has nothing to do with your statement that he was trying to save face because he knew they would say "NO".

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe its time for everyone to get a life. College football is fun to watch. We dont live it. We dont play it. We just comment on it. Everyone needs to stop moaning and groaning. Sack up, Move on, it's done. Go back to your everyday lives. Its just football.

Even with this change, the Vols 2011 schedule may still be one of the toughest if not the most difficult schedule in the nation for 2011.

BINGO! Cupcakes equal wins.....9- 10 wins in the SEC= BCS bowl berth. Simple as that. Does not matter who the wins are against, but it matters that you have at leat 9 or so.

UNC IS A CUPCAKE!!!! That's the whole point of this thing. Your argument makes sense for a team like USC. But for UNC football???? Butch Davis can't even beat Tom O'Brien. This is a team that (even with CBD) can't pass the eight win mark...even with playing teams like Citadel. Running away from a game like this is beyond gutless. It's embarrassing.

UNC IS A CUPCAKE!!!! That's the whole point of this thing. Your argument makes sense for a team like USC. But for UNC football???? Butch Davis can't even beat Tom O'Brien. This is a team that (even with CBD) can't pass the eight win mark...even with playing teams like Citadel. Running away from a game like this is beyond gutless. It's embarrassing.

Im sorry. I did not know that kids half your age dressing up in uniforms and pads and losing a game to UNC would make you blush.

So I'm guessing you think were going to get manhandled by Oregon, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina this year? There all better than UNC, hell throw in Kentucky and Ole Miss they're just as good. Why even play this season or next... I didn't know 8-5 4-4 in conference UNC was so great might as well go ahead and get rid of NC State since they beat them last year. I can only imagine the beat down they're gonna put on us :mf_surrender:

Yeah, that's pretty much how I see the 2010 season going. I imagine most other non-delusional people see it that way too. I realize there is a portion of the fanbase who thinks it is perpetually the 90's and that we'll win 8-10 games minimum every year just because of our past. However, the reality is, Peyton Manning, Al Wilson and Jaml Lewis aren't walking through that door. Sorry if you don't like that, I don't really either, but that's just the way it is right now. We're several years minimum from being competitive again. For the time, just schedule some games we can win. More than anything else, that will help the rebuilding process.

I fixed your post (bold)

Let’s recap; because one of us is missing it and I don’t think it is me.

All I was saying if he knew they wouldn't have any interest in rescheduling. Why would they? They are losing a game anyways next year which will be difficult for them to fill. This way they get to drag us through the mud some and it makes us look like cowards. Are you asking for proof of this?

I believe its time for everyone to get a life. College football is fun to watch. We dont live it. We dont play it. We just comment on it. Everyone needs to stop moaning and groaning. Sack up, Move on, it's done. Go back to your everyday lives. Its just football.

Logical, rational thinking will get you nowhere here...

You keep throwing this out there, but the simple truth is that this will absolutely be reported and spun as simple cowardice in the media. And to our recruits the next few years, especially the ones that are also being recruited by Butch Davis. This isn't just about chestbeating on a message board.

Bottom line is that this hurts Tennessee's brand, robs fans of two interesting football Saturdays, and takes away arguably our most winnable game against a legitimate opponent next year. In return we get a crapton of grief, two extra cupcake games, and maybe a 10 percent higher chance of playing in Shreveport next winter. Whee.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

So, if we get to Shreveport, we add the equivalent of an extra spring practice to the bulk of our '12 team. Think that'll give us an extra 10 percent chance of winning more games in '12? I do. I also think a bowl game next year helps you in recruiting more than changing the schedule now ever could.

What do you think the outcome will be if you make 10 decisions that will give you a 10 percent chance of being more successful? How about 50?

The puzzle is large and the only way to be successful is to make many decisions that are more likely to help you than to hurt you. Unfortunately, there aren't 3 or 4 decisions that can be made that will get us where we want to be.

As for it hurting recruiting consider: we just signed Kyler Kerbyson. Hasn't been a month a so ago that we passed on USC for next year and USC wanted him. Did it hurt us in that recruiting battle? If so, how much?

VN Store

Back