Non-Lady Vol Game discussion

It’s interestingMcCowan had 15/18 field goals for 35 points HOWEVER she also allowed 11/12 by a 6’3”/ 6’4” sophomore forward for 25 points the difference was Vivians for 30 where Ionescu usually scores more but didn’t have the best offensive night. So I agree Russell should have her way because of her size and I can’t believe it better mobility lol... the same defense that worked on TX may work on MSU just because you have an offensive perimeter player, a heady point guard, and their post was effective before hand. Sending two players back would benefit TN. For some reason I am thinking Mizzou because of their shooting prowess and they have athletic forwards that can shoot the ball may have more difficult match up. Sophie has been doing a lot of the ball handling so wearing her down with multiple defenders may be the answer to that I dunno...last year she punked some of our players I don’t see that happening with Westbrook because I think she is fiestier than Sophie was as a freshman lol

Ruthy Hebard can put the ball on the floor and she was taking McCowan off the dribble. I don't think that Teiera was the primary defender on Hebard. I thought she was on McGuire.

I think Tennessee has better depth than MSU, which is why I would favor them to win. But if McCowan/Vivians are clicking like they were tonight, they would be a very tough team to beat. Morgan William hasn't gone off this year yet, but even though she's not looking to score as much, she is still dangerous because she can take over a game. I think this might be a better game than the SC one.

I wouldn't worry about Mizzou. Sophie is having a great year, but their team doesn't seem to be as good as their individual pieces.

McCowan has improved much more than Russell has, imho but I'd still pick Russell for her all around game.

Reactions: 1 person
I think KK and McCowan would be a good match to see. Somebody that could give her a battle under the rim. Green might be too small, :(

McCowan has improved much more than Russell has, imho but I'd still pick Russell for her all around game.

Thats because they started in different places. Russell came in skilled, McCowan couldnt make a layup. Russell is far more skilled. MSU does a great job of finding her right under the basket. McCowan doesnt have the ball handle nor the post moves Russell has. Additionally, MSU doesnt team Rebound. They had 29 rebounds i believe and McCowan had 19 of those. Against more athletic teams with size that will be problematic. We have 4 players that average anywhere between 5 to 9.5 rebounds a game.

I think KK and McCowan would be a good match to see. Somebody that could give her a battle under the rim. Green might be too small, :(

I doubt that KK, Dunbar and certainly Harris will not see hardly any minutes in big games unless there is a good lead. Looks like a rotation of 7.

Thats because they started in different places. Russell came in skilled, McCowan couldnt make a layup. Russell is far more skilled. MSU does a great job of finding her right under the basket. McCowan doesnt have the ball handle nor the post moves Russell has. Additionally, MSU doesnt team Rebound. They had 29 rebounds i believe and McCowan had 19 of those. Against more athletic teams with size that will be problematic. We have 4 players that average anywhere between 5 to 9.5 rebounds a game.

Oregon was both athletic and tall, they just didn't have any bulk to equal McCowan.
They are the tallest womens team in D1. ftr

interesting one game turn around
Troy beat their next opponent following the LVs by scoring 130+ points. had 80 points at half-time. Probably some pent up hostility after their drubbing and of course a very weak opponent.

MissSt bench only had 2 pts last night. A weak bench will get you beat by a good team.

Oregon is a good team, and it didn't hurt them...

Miss State usually goes 7 deep, unless McCowan is in foul trouble. Their backup center is pretty much under a glass plate that says, "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY".

Reactions: 2 people
Oregon is a good team, and it didn't hurt them...

Miss State usually goes 7 deep, unless McCowan is in foul trouble. Their backup center is pretty much under a glass plate that says, "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY".

Oregon is a fairly good team. If any of MissSt starters get into foul trouble i dont think they have the talent on the bench to compensate.

Oregon is a fairly good team. If any of MissSt starters get into foul trouble i dont think they have the talent on the bench to compensate.

That's my point. Oregon is a good team, yet Miss State beat them without any significant contribution from the bench. Truthfully, the only one that is indispensable from being in foul trouble is McCowan. Even if Vivans is in foul trouble, they can pull Chloe Bibby from the bench to buy them some quality minutes. She may not be as prolific a scorer as Victoria, but she is enough of a scoring threat that you have to take her seriously. Holmes is a quality backup PG, and Johnson/Schaefer are pretty much interchangeable if one should get in foul trouble.

South Carolina to submit paperwork for Tea Cooper to be eligible next semester! They are waiting on her grades due out in December to submit paperwork!!! What does that tell you about her grades??? She needs this semester grades to have enough hours to play ??

May take Cueves place because she is hurt?? I think Spann is out also for now ... this might get interesting!!!

South Carolina to submit paperwork for Tea Cooper to be eligible next semester! They are waiting on her grades due out in December to submit paperwork!!! What does that tell you about her grades??? She needs this semester grades to have enough hours to play ??

May take Cueves place because she is hurt?? I think Spann is out also for now ... this might get interesting!!!

Not sure it’s about her grades, it’s having a semester finished to say that’s she’s acclimated to South Carolina, is what I believe I heard in Staley’s interview about it.

Texas A&M Freshman Chennedy Carter scored 46 of 75 points in one point win over USC. Just looking ahead, who would match up well with Carter. MeMe and Hayes?

McGuire, yes. Hebard and the 6'4 freshmen were both athletic and mobile.

Having watched Oregon in every game this year and most last, I think this is exactly the case. And I would add that Oregon is still very young: of the 3, 2 are sophomores (as is Ionescu), and the third a freshman from Germany. And having to travel 3000 miles for an away game also didn't help. (Oregon is currently in the SEC portion of their schedule: they've already beaten A&M at A&M and will play them again in a tournament next week; Sunday they play Mississippi at home.)

Hebard is very effective most of the time (she was 21 of 22 with 15 rebounds against A&M and Mississippi State), but she is still raw (the high school competition in Alaska can't be much) and even considered redshirting when she arrived in Eugene. She is also still trying to learn how to deal with big and really skilled centers. (She was overwhelmed--as was everyone else on the US team--by the Russian centers in the U19 FIBA Tournament last summer, but did very well in the other games.)

Sabally (the freshman) is a major talent still adjusting to the US game. She's smart, knows what she has to work on, and is getting better each outing. Someone has even compared her to Parker. I think that's obviously a stretch, but it does point to the range of her abilities: driving, posting up, shooting the 3, handling the ball--at 6'4" she can already do all of this very effectively and, because she is so smooth, she's always moving much faster than she appears to be.

McGuire does one thing very well--shoot from the top of the key--but she is slow and not in great shape, to put it mildly. The first does help take pressure off Hebard.

I realize that this is more than a little homerish, but I think that later in the season the Ducks would give Mississippi State a run for its money on a neutral court and certainly in Eugene.

Texas A&M Freshman Chennedy Carter scored 46 of 75 points in one point win over USC. Just looking ahead, who would match up well with Carter. MeMe and Hayes?

Can't wait for this matchup, i think when Westbrook is more agressive she is dangerous

carson newman 13-0 and hows that for those who are concerned about the cupcakes on the schedule. (smile)

carson newman 13-0 and hows that for those who are concerned about the cupcakes on the schedule. (smile)

Carson Newman is a D II school who is ranked #165 by Massey. Their best win to date has been over #320 Lander. Most of the teams they have played are ranked in the 500-600 range. I don't think they will be challenging Notre Date for a spot in the final four this year.

Texas beat FSU today and got to see Boothe play. She had 8 points in 8 minutes. She is one hefty young lady.

Notre Dame beat Depaul and Shephard had 39 points.

#3 Louisville is looking scary good on the road up 47-25 at halftime against Kentucky today. Durr is a confident and composed scorer who can get her shot off at will. She has 16 points already. LV will seriously challenge Notre Dame for ACC supremacy this season.

VN Store

Back