No Doubt about It

Worley is good when the coaches don't ask him to do too much. Three quarters of his completions were short, quick and basic--LOTS of bubble screens (we must have thrown AT LEAST 10), little roll-out tosses to the TE. I'm fine with it--execute the short passing game, make yards and first downs. The problem comes when we try to throw deep, as we did throughout the 2nd quarter. That was an absolute mess--bad timing, bad throw, drops, sacks. Worley is not a great downfield passer. But he manages a game well, doesn't make mistakes--all very good. Just need to keep improving the offense as we will not get away with all those bubble screens against SEC teams. We've got some talent at WR position--just need to keep utilizing it creatively and block the run lots better.

I think our fan base has forgotten how to win.

Worley is the leader of this offense. He was lights out tonight. The light really did come on before his injury last year. I know longer have any doubt in his ability to run and execute this offense.
:hi:
Hats of to this young man. I am no longer a doubter. We got ourselves a good QB in Knoxville guys.

273 YDS, 3 TD NO PICKS

Not bad, Not bad at all.

Go Vols:rock:[/QUOT

I concur. The only thing scares me was our anemic run game.i hope they can fix soon. The penalties I confident can be fixed but oline was not impressive. Really proud of our defense. And I am sure people will eat be chomping at the bit with Coleman back at corner giving up our only TD on a deep bomb but over all proud of the team

Worley is Worley. He was a good leader and made some pretty decent plays. I was especially impressed with his running tonight and being decisive when he went to run. I thought the deep balls were lacking and he probably got away with forcing the ball in a couple of times which likely wouldn't work versus SEC talent.

I think we're going to be in better shape than last year though if he can stay healthy and get the ball to the playmakers.

Worley was accurate, and led the receivers perfectly. He couldn't have played much better. Great ball game. He did his job in this offense. I'm sure Butch is happy with his performance tonight.

Last edited:
I'm a happy camper. I love how quick he got the ball out of his hands, decision making was really good. I'd like to see him continue to go to the TEs consistently (looks like we have some good ones), and yeah, his deep game could use some work, but I think the timing will improve with his wideouts.

GREAT WIN!! Lots of things to work on after tonight. However, the d was lights out and much faster to my eye at least.We were swarming to the ball, and AJ was everywhere. The offense will improve as we progress through the schedule. Overall I'm excited about this team going forward. No doubt we're getting much better. Butch is doing work!!!!!!

Reminded me of a laundry list of Alabama QB's that were not especially talented but were great at managing the game.

Worley played great, even with all the pressure he was under, He did make some plays just avoiding the pass rush and completing passes.
Our Oline will need to continue to improve as we play better competition however

Reactions: 2 people
Worley played great, even with all the pressure he was under, He did make some plays just avoiding the pass rush and completing passes.
Our Oline will need to continue to improve as we play better competition however

No doubt about it. The OLine was my biggest concern before kickoff and still was after the final gun.

Justin had a great game. Made a few mistake, but those without mistakes cast the first stone.

Son called all the read option plays Justin should have ran on and he had a total of 4-6 plays. Justin ran twice and missed four. I personally want our starting QB healthy but Justin is making the reads not us.

I'm positive if he sees the opening he's going. The amount of times he maintained presence in the pocket and avoiding sacks should prove to EVERYONE, this young man has gotten a grasp on the offense and handles pressure well. Is it SEC pressure? Nope but ask yourself this, If Justin doesn't miss the last 4 games last season, what's our record?

The lights went on with full voltage after the USC game last year and Justin has done nothing but progress. I like where this team is headed and I agree, we need to press the running game more, but with a stellar defense and a passing game that can move the chains, I'll take the running game being the little sister until she catches up.

No doubt about it. The OLine was my biggest concern before kickoff and still was after the final gun.

I'm breaking down the film as we speak. Looks like most of our run game issues were Jackson and Gilliam.

We had a few mistakes you expect a zone team to make in the first game (like not coming off double teams and getting up to the lbs). But those two sucked big in the running game.

I wouldn't be schocked to see Blair and Coleman at tackle with Kerbyson and Roberson at guard before the season ends.

Worley did a much better job moving his feet and keeping his eyes downfield. Great second half

I'm breaking down the film as we speak. Looks like most of our run game issues were Jackson and Gilliam.

We had a few mistakes you expect a zone team to make in the first game (like not coming off double teams and getting up to the lbs). But those two sucked big in the running game.

I wouldn't be schocked to see Blair and Coleman at tackle with Kerbyson and Roberson at guard before the season ends.

I'll get bashed but the left side was awful particularly Gilliam. I really hope he plays better or someone takes his spot because we could be in trouble.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll get bashed but the left side was awful particularly Gilliam. I really hope he plays better or someone takes his spot because we could be in trouble.

The RB's NEVER went to the outside, and was stuffed (for the most part) on the inside run.. that worries me against SEC teams.

The RB's NEVER went to the outside, and was stuffed (for the most part) on the inside run.. that worries me against SEC teams.

USU was stacking inside most of the night so I understand why the RBs was having trouble moving it up the middle, but I agree about never trying to bounce it to the outside. I don't know why we didn't try running outside the tackles more.

VN Store

Back