Nico's 'solid' performance?

He showed plenty yesterday.

They were down two OT against a good defense and Iamalavea and Sampson shredded that defense even with the issues on the line and at WR.

That deep pass to Keyton was right on the money if he wouldn't have lost the ball and cut off the route.

The sideline pass was excellent. A couple of early passes across the field had a lot of zip on them. Things some QBs can't do very well.

He displayed plenty of scrambling ability and showed he knew when to take off and run. Was indecisive at times but it's his first start.

It wasn't perfect but it was plenty good enough for his first start given the circumstances.

Same with Sampson and Seldon. Yeah...Sampson missed some blocks and they probably left some yards on the field but they combined for 183 yards.

Corum and Edwards for Michigan managed a combined 80 yards against Iowa as a point of reference.

Reactions: ENGRVOL and 24/7vol
Once he learns to do the reads a little faster, he won't have to run as much. I just want the strength coaches to pork him up some more, and maybe put a flack jacket on him until then. He's so skinny that you could wash him in a coke bottle.

First of all, great win and an overall good performance by everyone other than the OL and RBs in protection. Now that the dust has settled a bit, I wanted to question the seemingly overblown praise of Nico. While I did feel like it was a good performance overall, it's hard to call 150 passing yards "showing out" in any way, shape, or form - despite what the media and online posters have contended. And while some of the runs, and obviously the TD ones, were nifty, I felt like he didn't do a great job evading rushers or passing with any accuracy while on the run.

On the plus side, and it's a huge plus, he took what the defense gave him and didn't make any costly mistakes. Still, I would have liked to see some connections on deep balls and at least one or two 'wow' plays that would have really showed us what's coming.

Am I being nitpicky? Again, love the win and I'm excited for the Nico era, but I just don't think this game was that much of an indicator of what we'll see. At least I hope not.

Yes, you’re being nit picky! The thing that stood out to me was the moment never seemed too big for him!

You see the freshman 5 star for Ok? At least 3 picks and at least 1 fumble lost, maybe more.

Nico is gonna be that guy for us!

Are you saying he had good pocket presents as @joevol33 likes to say?
Oh yeah, I used another one on a Facebook page. Instead of saying "every facet of the game", I said "every faucet". Had a dude arguing me all night 🤣. I'm saving that for her, may use it tonight.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
First of all, great win and an overall good performance by everyone other than the OL and RBs in protection. Now that the dust has settled a bit, I wanted to question the seemingly overblown praise of Nico. While I did feel like it was a good performance overall, it's hard to call 150 passing yards "showing out" in any way, shape, or form - despite what the media and online posters have contended. And while some of the runs, and obviously the TD ones, were nifty, I felt like he didn't do a great job evading rushers or passing with any accuracy while on the run.

On the plus side, and it's a huge plus, he took what the defense gave him and didn't make any costly mistakes. Still, I would have liked to see some connections on deep balls and at least one or two 'wow' plays that would have really showed us what's coming.

Am I being nitpicky? Again, love the win and I'm excited for the Nico era, but I just don't think this game was that much of an indicator of what we'll see. At least I hope not.
This performance proves what I’ve been saying along with a few other people. Milton wasn’t the blame for drop off. The receivers were the issue. Now with Bru coming back along with Brazzell coming in and maybe Evan Stewart this will improve

Remember during the game when our true freshman in his first start threw that pass that should have been intercepted or when we burned a timeout because he got us in the wrong formation or was too slow getting us lined up?

Yeah me neither.

Two things I noticed about him that we have been missing with Joe;

A quarterback that can scramble

He has plenty of zip on the wall, but it is VERY catchable.

Yes, you are being nitpicky.

Just watched the game again. How good was Nico throwing the ball?

Pass #1 - short pass to Warren - perfect
Pass #2 - pass across field to Nimrod - perfect
Pass #3 - shovel pass dropped by Sampson - perfect
Pass #4 - pass to Keaton across field at sideline - perfect, "working his progression across the field"
Pass #5 - pass over the middle, almost hit Keaton in the head, but not perfect. Keaton may not have seen it. Definitely catchable--good.
Pass #6 - Screen pass but Sampson didn't chip LB and Nico had no chance to complete the pass
Pass #7 - Slant to Keaton perfectly thrown, dropped. "a great throw"
Pass #8 - 6 yd. pass to Keaton on sideline - perfect
Pass #9 - Perfect throw to Webb on sideline.
Pass #10 - Throw to Webb on sideline, a little low but should have been caught. Good.
Pass #11 - swing pass to Squirrel - perfect
Pass #12 - on the run, sprinting toward sideline, threw it 36 yds. perfectly to Keaton "unbelievable throw and catch where only his guy could make the play."
Pass #13 - incomplete, flushed out of pocket and under extreme pressure--no chance for completion
Pass #14 - perfect throw across field to Squirrel for 10 yd. gain
Pass #15 - incomplete. Perfect bomb to Keaton who stopped. "Pass was right where it needed to be."
Pass #16 - good pass caught by Nimrod. Maybe a little low but could have been where Nico wanted it--no chance for DB to break it up.
Pass #17 - perfect 7 yd. pass to Squirrel on sideline
Pass #18 - perfect to Webb on comeback across the field - 7 yds.
Pass #19 - perfect to Castles for TD

Summary: 19 passes
14 perfectly thrown
3 good - all 3 very catchable
2 no chance due to pressure
0 passes touched by a defender!

The kid is going to be great, maybe the best ever to play QB at UT.

*Commentator comments in quotes
Thank you for this breakdown. It shows how good of a game he really had. There is a least another 80 yards in dropped passes there. Pass #4 and the back shoulder throw #12 were both NFL throws. One after going through progressions and throwing from near hash mark to opposite sideline and then the back shoulder while on the run. Both looked like Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow throws.

Reactions: Sara Clark

Joe fan?

The fact that you posted this and it got likes is sad. Wow plays? lol. Nico, in his first ever start, made several NFL level throws. He should have had more yards and anothe passing TD has it not been for Keyton. Good grief dude. If Nico had started multiple games this year, then I could see a justification for this.

Couldn't of asked for it to be much better than it was. He never could get comfrotable in the pocket becasue it was collapsing on him too quick. He had command of the offense and didn't force the ball like most freshmen would have. Give him a offseason, a better Oline, a couple of guys that can take the lid off a defense and he's going to be really good.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

Great opening performance by a freshman starting in his first game. My concern is I hope he has a great off season in the weight room so he can handle the pounding he will receive from SEC defenses next year.

Reactions: TNinSC
The fact that you posted this and it got likes is sad. Wow plays? lol. Nico, in his first ever start, made several NFL level throws. He should have had more yards and anothe passing TD has it not been for Keyton. Good grief dude. If Nico had started multiple games this year, then I could see a justification for this.
Its the joe sycophants. They will never like Nico, because they can't and won't be wrong about their opinion of joe's greatness

Its the joe sycophants. They will never like Nico, because they can't and won't be wrong about their opinion of joe's greatness
There are no Joe sycophants…just people who appreciate what he did by staying…contribute, and be a stabilizing factor for the team.

You know…it’s possible to do that and be excited about what Nico did on Monday, and what he’s likely to do here for the next couple of years. Joe was a place holder…most everyone knew that from the time Nico committed. He kept the seat warm and minimized the fallout after Hendon. He knew his role and performed admirably.

Still, I would have liked to see some connections on deep balls and at least one or two 'wow' plays that would have really showed us what's coming.

You didn't see what I saw. No Iowa defender touched a pass he threw. Most every pass was thrown exactly where it should have been thrown. His moves avoiding the pass rush were Lamar Jackson/Patrick Mahomes-like (wowed me more than his passes). Iowa played soft coverage taking away the deep ball, and Nico didn't force a single throw. If the receivers caught perfectly thrown balls, he would have been 17-19 with the two incompletions being balls that were thrown away to avoid sacks where pass protection was woeful. I give Nico an A+.

Somewhere, out on a alternate earth, Milton was the starter against Iowa and struggled passing against Iowa's top 5 defense. Fortunately, alt-earth Iowa struggles just like they do on our earth and the game was won by the Vols off of an Iowa turnover.

Unfortunately, Nico hits the transfer portal (lands in Bama) and the Miltonites would have swore up and down that Nico wouldn't have been able to do anything against Iowa's vaunted defense.

Right now, my alt-earth counterpart is spamming the boards mercilessly with "fire Heupel" posts, instead of being cautiously optimistic about heading into next season.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back