NFL ratings down 11% first six weeks

This is not true, at all.

It's actually very true. Look at the number of penalties and missed tackles.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2017/09/18/inexperienced-quarterbacks-porous-lines-are-crippling-scoring-and-crushing-the-nfls-watchability/

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/09/20/nfl-ratings-decline-reasons-quality-quarterbacks-hurricanes
https://www.wsj.com/articles/nfls-quality-of-play-hits-rock-bottom-no-one-cares-1445988922

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

The first article offers no objective data as to why they are saying the quality is down.

In 2015, there were 16.2 flags per game. There are 16.5 this year. Basically no difference at all. I bet if we checked, we'd find out backup QB's played in 2015, too....

The second article is about college vs pro, which has nothing to do with the points being made here.

You're 0 for 5 on sources, bro.

As an aside, fans can't seem to make up their minds about what they want out of spectator sports. I hear complaints that there are no great teams. What they actually mean is there are no dominant teams. There might be lots of great teams, we just don't have any clear favorites. On the other hand, people will complain that the league isn't competitive enough, ie there are too many great teams....then they'll go watch every minute of a college game with a score of 55-10.

As an aside, fans can't seem to make up their minds about what they want out of spectator sports. I hear complaints that there are no great teams. What they actually mean is there are no dominant teams. There might be lots of great teams, we just don't have any clear favorites. On the other hand, people will complain that the league isn't competitive enough, ie there are too many great teams....then they'll go watch every minute of a college game with a score of 55-10.

Due to the lack of coaching in the pros, the skill level of NFL players is at a low. 16 penalties a game is a lot.

Due to the lack of coaching in the pros, the skill level of NFL players is at a low. 16 penalties a game is a lot.

What lack of coaching? Maybe there are more penalties because D line coaching and blitz scheming is so good that they are beating the O line, thus forcing 16 flags per game. It's weird the conclusions that people make based on scant evidence.

It's 16 flags. The worst team doesn't even get 9 penalties a game. Best team doesn't get 6.

And it's the same as it was 2 years ago when the NFL was booming. The quality is not noticeably down. I promise. I've watched 5-10 hours of NFL every week for the last 12 years.

Last edited:
What lack of coaching? Maybe there are more penalties because D line coaching and blitz scheming is so good that they are beating the O line, thus forcing 16 flags per game. It's weird the conclusions that people make based on scant evidence.

It's 16 flags. The worst team doesn't even get 9 penalties a game. Best team doesn't get 6.

And it's the same as it was 2 years ago when the NFL was booming. The quality is not noticeably down. I promise. I've watched 5-10 hours of NFL every week for the last 12 years.

When the concussion lawsuit was first settled, the amount of practices have been cut down. It's why you're seeing more impact rookies that fizzle out. It's why you see a spike in penalties. It's why you see bad line play and very mediocre QBs.

When the concussion lawsuit was first settled, the amount of practices have been cut down. It's why you're seeing more impact rookies that fizzle out.

This makes no sense. They’re making immediate impacts just fine with less practice, then “fizzling out” because of less practice?

If mediocre players like Bryce Petty throwing for 500 yards a game is what’s “more fun” about college football, count me all the way out.

This makes no sense. They’re making immediate impacts just fine with less practice, then “fizzling out” because of less practice?

10-15 years ago, only truly good players made an elite impact. These impact rookies are fizzling out more when they lose a step. A good example would be Eddie Lacy and RGIII.

NFL coaching is 100000000000x better than college coaching

A piss sandwich is still better than a turd sandwich. College coaching so bad and players coming out earlier than before are actually a lot of the problem.

10-15 years ago, only truly good players made an elite impact. These impact rookies are fizzling out more when they lose a step. A good example would be Eddie Lacy and RGIII.

RG3 can't win from the pocket and Lacy isn't explosive. Coaching hasn't been the problem for either one of them.

There's plenty more commericals than years past in both College & NFL & it drives me insane.

Other than that I've got nothing.

Cable cutting have a effect? People using the same password for apps and such?

Lacy was explosive enough as a rookie and RGIII couldn't develop into a pocket passer.

Yeah, he was younger and playing with Aaron Rodgers. He was never a special player.

RG3 was coached by Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan, Jay Gruden and Hue Jackson. They've all developed plenty of other guys, including Kirk Cousins from that same draft. Griffin just didn't have it.

VN Store

Back