Neyland vs. Bryant

Great post, All though I'm a old die hard UT fan I have a great respect for coach Bryant and what he did for the game of football in the south. (bash me if u want to I don't give a damn)

Gen. Neyland was the bear Bryant before bear Bryant he set the bar high then Bryant set it even higher. Both are the god fathers of sec football IMO.

My top 10 all time sec coaches:
1 Bob Neyland
2 Paul Bryant
3 Frank Thomas
4 Nick Saban
5 Urban myer
6 Vince Dooley
7 Steve Spurrier
8 Phil Fulmer
9 Johnny Vaught
10 Bobby Dodd

Honorable mention: Wally Butts Shug jordan
Johnny Majors Wallace Wade
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'd move Spurrier up the list.

College football has came along away since the days of Gen. Neyland. That begs the question, would there be all these problems with players if folks like Bob coached today?

I'd bet these players would have their egos deflated a little after comparing stars with The General at the very least.

Sports Illustrated named Neyland the defensive coordinator of their all-century college football team. I've also heard that he was the first to use sideline telephones and the first to study game film. He also created the seven game maxims that are still recited by UT players before each game.

Neyland was the greatest- particularly slaying Bama greats):
Record vs. Bear B - 5-0-2 (at Ky during their best period inc beating 1950 10-0 Kats).
Record vs. F Thomas - 6-3-1 (2nd most successful Bama coach ever).
Record vs. W Wade 2-1 (another great Bama coach).
All time vs, Bama (while Tide was very good) 12-5-1.
During two lapses in his HC (while in military service) his fill ins were 0-4-1 vs. Tide.
Comments by Rockne, Wade, and B Bryant about his greatness.
Won half his games by shutout including last team unscored upon for entire season.
Won ~83% of games over 21 years, 7 leaque championships and 4 NC's.

Bryant was great but I think the edge goes to Neyland with the innovations he made to the game as the deciding factor.

Bryant was great but I think the edge goes to Neyland with the innovations he made to the game as the deciding factor.

holy crap? a vandy fan? i didint know they had any... hahah jk my dad went to vandy so it has a special place in my heart.. poor things...

I'll give the edge to Bryant because he did it in what I can only assume was a more competitive game, but Neyland has to be considered one of the greatest.

holy crap? a vandy fan? i didint know they had any... hahah jk my dad went to vandy so it has a special place in my heart.. poor things...

You will find us until football season starts, then we go into hiding.

I think I may be the only one on here. Had to special order my "vandyfan" tag. :happy:

Neyland was a beast. Surprised so many are surprised to find out that he owned the Bear.

You will find us until football season starts, then we go into hiding.

I think I may be the only one on here. Had to special order my "vandyfan" tag. :happy:

you know, I love the fact that every time you post in a thread you get a

"holy crap, a vandy fan!" response

FE0C3518-ADC9-4945-83A0-1592EB8E2533-2181-00000389D77F4800.jpg

VN Store

Back