Neyland Renovation

That wasn't supposed to be argumentative. Just saying that field turf surfaces seem like they've come a long way; especially in light of a couple of years recently where our turf has been rough by the last few games. I'm sure it's something that's been looked at from all angles though in the AD.

I think FieldTurf has been attributed with higher chances for Ligament Issues. Not positive though as I said a few posts before.

Reactions: 1 person
I think FieldTurf has been attributed with higher chances for Ligament Issues. Not positive though as I said a few posts before.

That's always been the debate and I honestly don't know the answer. As long as the grass surface is good, I think most would prefer that. The problem is we've had a year or two where our grass surface was suspect.

That's always been the debate and I honestly don't know the answer. As long as the grass surface is good, I think most would prefer that. The problem is we've had a year or two where our grass surface was suspect.

Yeah, I mean hopefully they are fixing the issue permanently this time. It is my understanding that they weren't allowing the roots to set in on the field which in turn caused the grass to easily rip up. It also caused drainage issues etc etc.

So again hopefully this fixes the issues. Also, again I do believe we have one of the top Agricultural guys for grass who helps with a lot of the professional soccer fields in the world. So hopefully he is involved in this as well.

Neylands field has been suspect for atleast 3 to 4 years that I know of. Before that it never really seemed to be an issue.

Yeah, I mean hopefully they are fixing the issue permanently this time. It is my understanding that they weren't allowing the roots to set in on the field which in turn caused the grass to easily rip up. It also caused drainage issues etc etc.

So again hopefully this fixes the issues. Also, again I do believe we have one of the top Agricultural guys for grass who helps with a lot of the professional soccer fields in the world. So hopefully he is involved in this as well.

Neylands field has been suspect for atleast 3 to 4 years that I know of. Before that it never really seemed to be an issue.

I think the importance of root structure with grass is taught on day 1 of turf class.

I think the importance of root structure with grass is taught on day 1 of turf class.

You would think that.... But apparently they were aerating the field before you were supposed to, which I believe was also causing issues.

That wasn't supposed to be argumentative. Just saying that field turf surfaces seem like they've come a long way; especially in light of a couple of years recently where our turf has been rough by the last few games. I'm sure it's something that's been looked at from all angles though in the AD.

I understand, I just can't give you a reason why it isn't being considered other than it's not a topic that anyone at UT for the last three ADs and their staffs have been wiling to entertain. Dooley wanted it badly and he was told to never ask again. Butch wanted it after the problems in 2014 and 2015 and was completely shut down.

I agree that turf has come a long way and the academic side at UT has a research partnership with Astroturf to make it safer and to perform more like grass. The numbers on injuries on turf vs. grass are basically the same, though studies are mixed because it's hard to get a good control group on grass because of all the variables of type of grass, dirt/sand fill, condition of grass, etc. There are conditions where grass greatly outperforms turf, there are conditions where turf greatly outperforms grass.

The new *possible* issue with turf is that kids that have played on it now most of their lives are developing lymphoma at a higher level than their peers. The rubber in-fill is though to be a possible culprit. Soccer goalies and catchers (those more in contact with the rubber pellets) have a slightly higher instance than other athletes, but athletes as a group are having a higher instance overall. The studies on that are still too new to know if it's really a thing or if it's an outlier.

Bump..When is this suppose to begin?..Phil seemed to be slow walking it with no definite date to begin.

Timing is everything.
Think I’d make any announcements on that topic after a win, not a loss.

Bump..When is this suppose to begin?..Phil seemed to be slow walking it with no definite date to begin.

Work will begin after the final game. Only a portion of the stadium will be available for the spring game, same as when the West and South end renovation was done in 2009-10.

Regardless of if the exact aesthetic plans are final, infrastructure work (electricity, internet, plumbing, etc.) as well as the interior demolition of South Stadium Hall and East Stadium Hall will be able to begin as soon as December.

Reactions: LakeMaryFLVol
So we are spending all that money to fix up Neyland stadium but not fix the football team that plays in it...It's kinda like going to Disney without any rides.
"use the money to fix the team that plays in it"..... do you mean the the Alabama approach where we simply buy better players? 😂😂😂

Reactions: LakeMaryFLVol

VN Store

Back