Neyland I (Formerly known as Gruden Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Y’all need a dash of me and VNE on occasion. This is ridiculous.

You rang? :hi:

I truly logged into this thread just to see if anyone is posting who is halfway coherent.

:ermm: :unsure: :ermm: :blink:

Nope, still not yet, other than Lexi.

Back to my Scandinavian noir mysteries while waiting for the off-season to pass.

I truly logged into this thread just to see if anyone is posting who is halfway coherent.

Back to my Scandinavian noir mysteries while waiting for the off-season to pass.

Yeah, it's pretty slow every where on VN right now. The Recruiting Forum has been debating Lebron vs. MJ, best candy bar, and baseball movies. Looking forward to the start of fall camp so there's some football talked about somewhere on here.

:eek:hmy: :loco: :no:

Reactions: 1 person

Hey I'm halfway coherent 5 days a week. Though if you catch me on Thursday or Friday... Well... Good luck to you.

Yeah, it's pretty slow every where on VN right now. The Recruiting Forum has been debating Lebron vs. MJ, best candy bar, and baseball movies. Looking forward to the start of fall camp so there's some football talked about somewhere on here.

:eek:hmy: :loco: :no:

LeBron and MJ? Really? That's not a debate unless you're under the age of 25 and don't remember watching Michael play. LeBron is a streaky shooter, average at best with a hand in his face and might be the single greatest benefactor of the hand-check rule in the history of the NBA (although James Harden is making a pretty good argument). He would have had much more trouble getting to the rim in the '80's and '90's. Not to mention he's played for over a decade in an extremely weak conference (arguably the weakest either of the conferences has ever been) and he only has 3 rings to show for it. And 2 of those rings weren't even really earned because the other team choked. Golden State especially.

Reactions: 1 person
LeBron and MJ? Really? That's not a debate unless you're under the age of 25 and don't remember watching Michael play. LeBron is a streaky shooter, average at best with a hand in his face and might be the single greatest benefactor of the hand-check rule in the history of the NBA (although James Harden is making a pretty good argument). He would have had much more trouble getting to the rim in the '80's and '90's. Not to mention he's played for over a decade in an extremely weak conference (arguably the weakest either of the conferences has ever been) and he only has 3 rings to show for it. And 2 of those rings weren't even really earned because the other team choked. Golden State especially.

That's pretty much how its played out. Younger folks going for Lebron, older folks for MJ with a few votes for others (Elgin Baylor or Kareem anyone?) Some of the top 10 lists people were throwing out were pretty funny (Shaq in the top 5 all-time?).

That's pretty much how its played out. Younger folks going for Lebron, older folks for MJ with a few votes for others (Elgin Baylor or Kareem anyone?) Some of the top 10 lists people were throwing out were pretty funny (Shaq in the top 5 all-time?).

LeBron versus Kobe is a much more logical debate. Don't really see an argument for anyone other than MJ at the top spot. Pretty sure Ape and I covered this topic at length a couple months ago.

Of course most people who used to watch basketball used to be very knowledgeable about the game. But it's gotten so popular over the last decade or so it's become almost as bad as football having to listen to unavoidable idiots who barely have a firm grasp on the rules just spout their nonsensical opinions all over everyone.

LeBron versus Kobe is a much more logical debate. Don't really see an argument for anyone other than MJ at the top spot. Pretty sure Ape and I covered this topic at length a couple months ago.

Of course, most people who used to watch basketball used to be very knowledgeable about the game. But it's gotten so popular over the last decade or so it's become almost as bad as football having to listen to unavoidable idiots who barely have a firm grasp on the rules just spout their nonsensical opinions all over everyone.

Lebron vs. Kareem maybe. Kobe is a great player but borderline top 10. Off the top of my head, I'd put at least MJ, Kareem, Lebron, Magic, Wilt, Larry, Duncan, Russell, and maybe Shaq, Hakeem, and the Big O ahead of him. Just my opinion and I'm barely even a casual fan anymore.

It would be more interesting to debate coaches though. Who you got? I think Jackson, Auerbach, and Pop are top 3 all-time. Maybe Pat Riley is next.

I think most fans now watch for the highlights and too many players play for the highlight. Guys like Tim Duncan are so underappreciated for their fundamental play. It's amazing to me he won as many titles as he did playing with only one HoF player (Robinson) and possibly one other superstar (Kawhi). Imagine if he'd had the supporting cast of some of these other teams.

Lebron vs. Kareem maybe. Kobe is a great player but borderline top 10. Off the top of my head, I'd put at least MJ, Kareem, Lebron, Magic, Wilt, Larry, Duncan, Russell, and maybe Shaq, Hakeem, and the Big O ahead of him. Just my opinion and I'm barely even a casual fan anymore.

It would be more interesting to debate coaches though. Who you got? I think Jackson, Auerbach, and Pop are top 3 all-time. Maybe Pat Riley is next.

I think most fans now watch for the highlights and too many players play for the highlight. Guys like Tim Duncan are so underappreciated for their fundamental play. It's amazing to me he won as many titles as he did playing with only one HoF player (Robinson) and possibly one other superstar (Kawhi). Imagine if he'd had the supporting cast of some of these other teams.

Nah, Kareem is ahead of both of them. I think the LeBron versus Kobe debate is interesting because it reveals what type of basketball philosophy you possess. As much as it pains me to say it, LeBron is slightly the better 5 on 5 player. But outside of MJ, there is no better one on one player than Kobe. And frankly him and MJ might be even on that front, depending on the day. Kobe and LeBron both are definitely top 10 though.

As far as coaches go, I think you nailed it. Those three are the best and it's really not even close. The debate really comes after those guys. Someone to keep your eye on is Brad Stevens. As much as I hate Boston, the man has talent. Pat Riley is a good one.

It's surprising to me you'd talk about Duncan and fundamentals and so casually dismiss Kobe, one of the game's most fundamentally sound players of all time. Duncan had Pop; who I think was/is a better coach than Jackson. He was great but other players had less help, I think. There is no reason why Kobe should have won his last two rings with Andrew Bynum/Ron Artest/40 year old Derek Fisher as his 3rd best player. And Pau Gasol is a borderline HOF at best. Kobe shot his teams out of a bunch of games over the years but he willed those teams to championships. Intangibles matter. Those role players had confidence because they thought they couldn't lose with Kobe on their side. Even if he shot 40 percent and turned it over 6 times. To be fair, LeBron can't say that. I've seen him put up playoff triple-doubles as often in losses as in wins. If Kobe went off, you could bet the Lakers were winning. People hate Kobe because of his perceived "persona" but the guy was an absolutely phenomenal basketball player. Even if he did try and do way too much sometimes.

Yeah. I'm still here. This sh!tty thread. We get weird. It's all good. Except for ape. That sum***** eats poop.

And Charlie squeezes milk from dark murderous movies I've never heard of.

I don't know what this means but I love dark movies. Audition is a fun one if you don't mind reading subtitles. Rosemary's Baby always makes me feel disturbed if I'm ever getting too comfortable.

Just goofin. Lost Highway with Robert Blake is a brain **** dark one. Reeeeealy weird.

You're fine brother. I get your stuff, although watch Audition if you get the time. Honestly disturbs me more than most movies. And Rosemary's Baby too but most people have seen that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back