Neyland Among Most Hostile SEC Environments Per Opponents

weallvol

ESPN conducted a roundtable discussion with several SEC players that was published on Wednesday discussing the most hostile environments in the conference.

Neyland Stadium seemed to make quite an impact on Georgia tight end Jeb Blazevich, who was part of the UGA team that fell short in Knoxville in 2015.

“I feel like at every away stadium there’s always that moment where they get really loud,” Blazevich said in the article. “Whether it’s at the very beginning or Tennessee last year at the very end – we have to go 99 yards to win a game and people were loud. They didn’t want us to do so. It’s unique playing on the road. I feel like that’s the hard part, getting your mind focused in hostile environments, but that’s what we train for.”

Arkansas linebacker Brooks Ellis also weighed in with a mention of Neyland among the three that stand out to him: “Texas Tech was pretty hostile, but SEC-wise, you can’t get any worse than LSU,” he said. “Tennessee was pretty bad, too. And Ole Miss. Those three were pretty brutal. They get really hostile, and it’s always a fun atmosphere to be at. They’re just really loud atmospheres, lots of drunk people everywhere, saying whatever they want to say to you. It’s just crazy.”

This isn’t the first time an opposing player has given Neyland and UT fans props. Oklahoma center Ty Darlington gave pretty much the ultimate compliment to the experience after playing in Knoxville last September.

“Absolutely not — not even close,” Darlington told OUDaily.com last year when asked if any other crowd he faced approached what he saw in Neyland Stadium. “Nothing I’ve ever experienced or ever will experience will compare to Tennessee.”

Neyland Among Most Hostile SEC Environments Per Opponents | Rocky Top Insider

Reactions: 16 people
Boom. I like to hear that.

Surprised to hear it from the Arky guy tho. That game was one of the deadest I've been to. Tropical storm predicted, coming off UF loss. It was really pedestrian that night in Neyland. Relatively speaking.

And to think, some say Tennessee fans haven't done their part or "aren't ready to win".....lol!

Reactions: 2 people
Boom. I like to hear that.

Surprised to hear it from the Arky guy tho. That game was one of the deadest I've been to. Tropical storm predicted, coming off UF loss. It was really pedestrian that night in Neyland. Relatively speaking.

No joke. Arkansas game had a erie feeling from the start. Took my father for his first game and had to explain how great it usually is. Other than opening kickoff return

Reactions: 3 people
I think we should up our game and make Neyland even tougher for our opponents to play in. Make it absolute hell for the visiting team.

Reactions: 4 people
Talked to a guy this summer in Mexico (we were staying at the same resort). He said that he and his buddies would take a road trip every year to see OU or OSU play on the road. Said he had been to the red river shootout, FSU, Texas, USC and nothing came remotely close to Neyland.

He also said "Those UT fans sure can dish it but they sure cant take it." .... the conversation just ended awkwardly after that. Wasn't gonna let him ruin paradise for me :nono:

Reactions: 3 people
Talked to a guy this summer in Mexico (we were staying at the same resort). He said that he and his buddies would take a road trip every year to see OU or OSU play on the road. Said he had been to the red river shootout, FSU, Texas, USC and nothing came remotely close to Neyland.

He also said "Those UT fans sure can dish it but they sure cant take it." .... the conversation just ended awkwardly after that. Wasn't gonna let him ruin paradise for me :nono:

Had an interesting conversation with some older folks in Panama City, Fl while I was on vacation this year. They said that the worst two fan basis that they had ever run into were Florida fans and Alabama fans. They said they were, by far, the most "in-your -face, beligerant" fans that they had ever ran into. This is a little different than your story, but still...

ESPN conducted a roundtable discussion with several SEC players that was published on Wednesday discussing the most hostile environments in the conference.

Neyland Stadium seemed to make quite an impact on Georgia tight end Jeb Blazevich, who was part of the UGA team that fell short in Knoxville in 2015.

“I feel like at every away stadium there’s always that moment where they get really loud,” Blazevich said in the article. “Whether it’s at the very beginning or Tennessee last year at the very end – we have to go 99 yards to win a game and people were loud. They didn’t want us to do so. It’s unique playing on the road. I feel like that’s the hard part, getting your mind focused in hostile environments, but that’s what we train for.”

Arkansas linebacker Brooks Ellis also weighed in with a mention of Neyland among the three that stand out to him: “Texas Tech was pretty hostile, but SEC-wise, you can’t get any worse than LSU,” he said. “Tennessee was pretty bad, too. And Ole Miss. Those three were pretty brutal. They get really hostile, and it’s always a fun atmosphere to be at. They’re just really loud atmospheres, lots of drunk people everywhere, saying whatever they want to say to you. It’s just crazy.”

This isn’t the first time an opposing player has given Neyland and UT fans props. Oklahoma center Ty Darlington gave pretty much the ultimate compliment to the experience after playing in Knoxville last September.

“Absolutely not — not even close,” Darlington told OUDaily.com last year when asked if any other crowd he faced approached what he saw in Neyland Stadium. “Nothing I’ve ever experienced or ever will experience will compare to Tennessee.”

Neyland Among Most Hostile SEC Environments Per Opponents | Rocky Top Insider

That's why alcohol has to be smuggled into CFB stadiums.

Reactions: 1 person
I've never been to LSU. But, I have been to Gainsville several times. Each time, I was afraid of being mugged going in and going out. I can take the verbal abuse, no problem. The thrown objects coming out of no where by the drunk students lining the walk going in is something else. You can't defend it. That's why the visiting teams get the ozone seats. To throw at us, they have to stand up (when drunk is hard for those idiots) and throw backwards, upwards. Again, difficult for an idiot. We've got to end the streak this year.

I've never been to LSU. But, I have been to Gainsville several times. Each time, I was afraid of being mugged going in and going out. I can take the verbal abuse, no problem. The thrown objects coming out of no where by the drunk students lining the walk going in is something else. You can't defend it. That's why the visiting teams get the ozone seats. To throw at us, they have to stand up (when drunk is hard for those idiots) and throw backwards, upwards. Again, difficult for an idiot. We've got to end the streak this year.

I have to ask which years you attended a game in Gainesville

Absolutely! End the Streak!! Go Vols

Labeling fans one way or another, based on a limited sample size is part of the logical fallacy known as the 'sweeping generalization'. It's human nature and everyone does it - including me.

But, it doesn't mean it's right.

For example, I have been told to die by a UT fan at Neyland before. Completely unprovoked, I was just walking out of the stadium. That guy was just upset. No biggie. When we pulled up to park before the game in Knoxville, a group of people standing on a porch of a house across the street yelled out "***** YOU GATORS!!" We all just laughed, gave them the gator chomp, and kept walking. I don't go around say "aww man, those Vol fans are the worst fans EVER"

However, while I try to refrain from labeling a fanbase as the worst, I most definitely know there are away games that are safe to bring my kids to (they're young 2, 5, 7) and there are away games that are NOT safe to bring my kids to. When I say safe, I just mean the fans aren't going to heckle us too bad. Fans yelling out insults is part of the experience, it doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't want them to get upset over it.

So, having said that - anyone who has small kids on here - What are the road games that you feel like you shouldn't bring kids to until they're older?

What a great short read. I will be attending The B@Bristol this year and my first ever Trip to Knoxville on Oct. 15 vs saban and the lady at OC name Kiffen. I expect to be sober and not have a voice for the next few days. ill drink a beer or two probaby. But wanna remember everything about being at Neyland Stadium.

Last edited:
No joke. Arkansas game had a erie feeling from the start. Took my father for his first game and had to explain how great it usually is. Other than opening kickoff return

Same here.

Took my GF, and 2 young sons for their first game at Neyland.

What a let down.

And, yes, the feeling was gloomy all day, not just the weather but the tone, and spirit.

The Vol Walk looked like the Walking Dead zombies.

VN Store

Back