Newport Animal Shelter Closing - Euthanizing Animals July 1

I made an effort once to adopt a dog that was a few years old that was being kept at a foster home. It was close in age to my dog and about the same size and I thought he would enjoy the company while I was at work.
Holy crap, that woman that had this dog lived on a farm and thought that since I didn't have 50 acres of fenced in back yard that I was the devil.
It's no surprise that some animals never get adopted.

That's my point. Many of these people think they know what's best for the animal but they really don't have a clue. I don't fault them for making sure the animals are going to a good home but they take it to a different level.

That's my point. Many of these people think they know what's best for the animal but they really don't have a clue. I don't fault them for making sure the animals are going to a good home but they take it to a different level.

Whats best for an animal is a loving home. A place that will take care of them and give them the care they need.
I've spent nearly $2000 this month on health care for my dog. I can afford it and he deserved it and any pet I have will get the same treatment.
Some people treat dogs like livestock.

Whats best for an animal is a loving home. A place that will take care of them and give them the care they need.
I've spent nearly $2000 this month on health care for my dog. I can afford it and he deserved it and any pet I have will get the same treatment.
Some people treat dogs like livestock.

Being in a rural environment, there are a lot of dogs that I see that are mistreated. There's a guy down the street that has a small dog lot with 2-3 pitbulls. I've never seen them out of the lot in years. I love my animals and they are very happy. I have no doubt that my dog would protect me with her life.

I can't stand to see animals mistreated.

Being in a rural environment, there are a lot of dogs that I see that are mistreated. There's a guy down the street that has a small dog lot with 2-3 pitbulls. I've never seen them out of the lot in years. I love my animals and they are very happy. I have no doubt that my dog would protect me with her life.

I can't stand to see animals mistreated.

You're a vegan?

It's a weird world where they'd rather euthanize a dog as opposed to it living outside and daring to do "dog things" like bark and chase squirrels. To me it's f'd up to make a dog stay inside all day, they were definitely never meant for that. One of ours is currently chasing and eating June bugs, I hope animal control doesn't have us staked out.

Reactions: 1 person
It's a weird world where they'd rather euthanize a dog as opposed to it living outside and daring to do "dog things" like bark and chase squirrels. To me it's f'd up to make a dog stay inside all day, they were definitely never meant for that. One of ours is currently chasing and eating June bugs, I hope animal control doesn't have us staked out.

You're on the list now.

We purchased a bluetick puppy from someone off Craigslist because I have wanted one for a long time (memories from when I was younger with ol' Blue) and couldn't find any to adopt. Worst dog idea I ever had. He hated inside and wanted to be outside all the time. Since we work inside and we didn't have a fence that would keep him he started to act out of character a lot. A guy who worked for us had a lot of land and wanted Smokey badly. I told him if he promised to let him free outside then he was his (He was 2yo att). He had the same issues with him for about 3 months (snapping and tearing everything up) but he finally broke and started roaming his land and coming in after he came home from work. When the kids and I went to visit Smokey he was a totally different dog that didn't look like he hated life! He was excited jumped, ran and played.

We have an English bulldog now and he loves the indoors and being right by our side.

It really depends on what dog and its behavior as well as yard situation. This isn't a black and white discussion by any means.

Last edited:
I tried to adopt and was turned down because we have a farm and we wanted an outside dog. Hate it for the animals but the people that run the shelters are f'd up.

Maybe they GPSed your place and found it close to a busy highway and didn't want Fido to get ran over by a car.

Free tee shirts tonight...
img_2224.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
The shelter workers didn't write the policy. They're following the rules established by the shelter that adhere to the standards that the Humane Society recommends.

"We do not adopt out "outdoor pets." Pets that are left outside to do not bond as readily with their owners and are prone to nuisance behaviors like barking, escaping, roaming, digging, predatory behavior and other destruction. If applicants currently have an "outdoor pet" their adoption may be denied."

The policy is stupid.

VN Store

Back