New wireless plans.... trying to break down the math

It's a lot cheaper to just buy the phone. Our buddy Freak is going to pay 500 bucks for a 300 phone because of the interest.
Explain.

Edit: just saw the follow up. And yeah, they don't really seem to charge interest. You can calculate exactly how much you're paying for the phone initially and it's basically just full retail spread out over the term.

I figured the same thing as well when I first saw it. I don't blame you.

ATT isn't the worst deal out there. They've improved a lot the last year with new plans.

Who's better on our market, just Verizon?

As I mentioned above I'm not a huge CDMA fan for a number of reasons and the traffic in store at Turkey Creek reminds me of going to the DMV. :)

As I mentioned above I'm not a huge CDMA fan for a number of reasons and the traffic in store at Turkey Creek reminds me of going to the DMV. :)

EVERY verizon store is like that.

Really? It's painful. I guess it's because Verizon is so popular.

About the same number of subscribers as att, maybe a few more but they're close.

I think you're right to stay with GSM carriers.

Cell phone plans with all four carriers is how I'm putting food on the table at the moment, so I'd like to think that I have a very thorough working knowledge of all the plans.

I switched from att to t mobile because I think t mobile has the best structured plan. They went the whole way in removing subsidies from their plan, not just families or those using 10gb or more. I also recognize that the coverage is poor for many, but it works for me personally.

About the same number of subscribers as att, maybe a few more but they're close.

I think you're right to stay with GSM carriers.

Cell phone plans with all four carriers is how I'm putting food on the table at the moment, so I'd like to think that I have a very thorough working knowledge of all the plans.

I switched from att to t mobile because I think t mobile has the best structured plan. They went the whole way in removing subsidies from their plan, not just families or those using 10gb or more. I also recognize that the coverage is poor for many, but it works for me personally.

I have t-mobile as a second line. They finally got LTE in Knoxville but their coverage is too spotty for me to use as a primary line, otherwise I might consider them.

I currently have their prepaid plan with 100 minutes of talk, unlimited text and unlimited data (5GB of 4G data) for $30 a month. It's a great plan for those who don't need many voice minutes.

T mobile lte has been pretty baller for me. Burly network in Portland combined with about half the subscribers of att or Verizon, and I'm getting consistently fast speeds throughout the day. Faster than att even.

I look at the whole thing like this: Overall network quality goes to Verizon, then att then tmo/sprint depending on your market. However, that's in inverse relation to how good the non contract pricing structures are. Additionally, GSM is going to be preferential for pretty much everyone to CDMA. So if you're in a non major market, I tend to find that att is generally the best choice. There are definitely a lot of people for whom att is the best choice. There are also many people for whom Verizon is the only viable option.

T mobile lte has been pretty baller for me. Burly network in Portland combined with about half the subscribers of att or Verizon, and I'm getting consistently fast speeds throughout the day. Faster than att even.

I look at the whole thing like this: Overall network quality goes to Verizon, then att then tmo/sprint depending on your market. However, that's in inverse relation to how good the non contract pricing structures are. Additionally, GSM is going to be preferential for pretty much everyone to CDMA. So if you're in a non major market, I tend to find that att is generally the best choice. There are definitely a lot of people for whom att is the best choice. There are also many people for whom Verizon is the only viable option.

Yep. I agree with you. If t-mobile's coverage was slightly better here, I would definitely consider switching. Their LTE is blazing fast where available.

I think AT&T actually upgraded their network in Knoxville recently. My LTE speed have increased dramatically.

I think ATT around Knoxville is fine coverage wise. Traditionally they always seemed the highest priced and nickle and dime you after that.

But, they've improved billing and plans a lot since TMo changed the game here with non-subsidized phones.

That's all I was saying.

VN Store

Back