New Policy on animated avatars

There's an option to disable Avatars in your UserCP panel. If they aren't smart enough to use that option then let the page take 3 minutes to load. I would say that maybe 10% of users on here have dial-up as opposed to broadband. Why punish the majority?? Sorry freak, but this isn't a decision that will benefit the board, IMO.

my plans for an animated helmet schedule avatar have been foiled.

Did you check with Vader first?? He his the Keymaster....

keymaster.jpg

Surely if everyone else must lose their cool avatars toxicdonut needs to have that disgusting garbage displayed beneath his username removed.

Well that sucks dad gum it....Bye Anthony and guys :cray: I guess WE all need to start making up some new ones...Anybody got any ideas on new avatars for those of us less talented in that area? LOL

I do too. Some people can put some obnoxious ones up that aren't too work safe.

we try to keep most avatars work safe on here (in fact it's pretty much a rule). You can also turn them off if browsing at work so the avatars/signatures are less noticeable. That's what I do

I know. I wish there was a way we could keep avatars but people could choose to enable or disable animations. If I could ever figure a way to do that....

Probably too late, but should go something like this:

if (preg_match("/\b.png\b/i", $poster[$avatar_filename]) || preg_match("/\b.gif\b/i", $poster[$avatar_filename])) {

if ($user[animationon]) {
call_display_avi();
}

} else {

call_display_avi();
}

Default for all users, and non-users would be "off," so, unless it was purposely turned on, the display avi call would not be executed for those individuals with gif of png avatars.

The SQL db call would have to reflect similar to signature call, except for new column in user database for "animations."

The code above would simply replace the standard call to display avatar when building the individual threads.

Edit: Obviously above is pseudo-code, as I haven't actually looked at Vbulletin code, ever. But, I could probably knock out an add-in over the weekend, if you wanted to bring it back. Your call. I plan on being here a while.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back