New Baseball Coaching Search

Burke or Calvi.

Curious as to the possibility and thoughts of the board on Simcox getting promoted as well.

Burke and Calvi couldn't be more different in resumes. Seems odd too 2.

Can't hire from within on a failed staff IMO.

Brad LeCroy was a great assistant with UT and a solid recruiter. However, both he and his wife have deep Clemson roots. Maybe since he did not get the head coaching job he is open to coming to UT. Good guy. There is still a significant pay raise to coach at this level. Many of these top coaches in the SEC are making over $500000. It comes down to a combination of recruiting and developing players. In addition, those kids that are potential high draft picks, but slip out of top 2 rounds need to believe they can come to school and get drafted higher after junior year. With that said, you must be able develop other players. Strange thing with CDS is the lack of success in the conference when several of the players were high draft picks and have begun to have success in the minor leagues and even major leagues. Senzel, Stewart, Godley, Simcox, Lee, Maddox, Owenby, Steckinrider and from last year Cox, Jackson and others continue to progress. Obviously, lack dominant pitching. Shows you can get some talent. (interesting to note that Mookie Betts and Sal Romano, both in the big leagues, were about an hour away from playing with UT when they signed pro contract).

As you say "must be able to develop other players".

In baseball one or two star type great players can not a team make. Unless it is a pitcher (then only at best 2 times a week unless he's a closer, then not unless you have the lead). It's the only multi player sport I know of where a star can have so little impact without the "play" coming to him. To be a top team all players must be good not avg., but good. So being a teacher is as much or more important than being a good manager. Good players make a great manager.

Reactions: 1 person
OP said probable or pipe dream. LOL . . a fella can dream, can't he?

Should've thrown the bank at him 6 yrs ago before UofL made the move to the ACC. No doubt he was as instrumental as Bianco to Ole Miss's rise in the mid 2000's.

He has it made there, Jurich will pay up, but more importantly we are talking about a school who looks at baseball as nothing in Tennessee. We have a great grounds crew. I'm being serious.

Bobby Petrino or Butch Jones?

Rick Pitino or Rick Barnes?

Unknown baseball coach or Dan McConnell?

We should have rolled the brinks truck up to Jurich, lol.

Last edited:
He has it made there, Jurich will pay up, but more importantly we are talking about a school who looks at baseball as nothing in Tennessee. We have a great grounds crew. I'm being serious.

I agree he does now. But he didn't have it as made, pre-ACC expansion. 6 yrs ago he was making less than Serrano was hired in at and didn't have the recruiting advantage of playing in a major conference.

I agree he does now. But he didn't have it as made, pre-ACC expansion. 6 yrs ago he was making less than Serrano was hired in at and didn't have the recruiting advantage of playing in a major conference.

He wasn't coming then either. He's turned down a number of jobs better than ours.

Well, I remember that search and I remember the discussion for sure. Jurich was not going to not put up a fight and UT was never...NEVER... going to double his salary to get him here.

Let me put it another way...if you are coach making it to regionals on a regular basis why would you come to UT and try to build something out of nothing. You wouldn't.

Last edited:
Most people have no idea the difference in college baseball jobs as opposed to college football or basketball jobs.

On South Carolina message boards people are talking about firing Holbrook and going after O'Sullivan or McDonnell.

Oh, sure they turned down seven figure offers from Texas 11 months ago and leveraged them into long term, seven figure contracts at their current schools, but I'm sure now the time is right to jump ship from getting national seeds every year and hop into a rebuild in Columbia.

Most people have no idea the difference in college baseball jobs as opposed to college football or basketball jobs.

On South Carolina message boards people are talking about firing Holbrook and going after O'Sullivan or McDonnell.

Oh, sure they turned down seven figure offers from Texas 11 months ago and leveraged them into long term, seven figure contracts at their current schools, but I'm sure now the time is right to jump ship from getting national seeds every year and hop into a rebuild in Columbia.

I agree with you in principle, but the SC job, with Tanner, the formerly very successful baseball coach, as AD is a MUCH better job than the Tennessee job.

I understand that kind of discussion, but those dudes aren't leaving.

Well, I remember that search and I remember the discussion for sure. Jurich was not going to not put up a fight and UT was never...NEVER... going to double his salary to get him here.

Let me put it another way...if you are coach making it to regionals on a regular basis why would you come to UT and try to build something out of nothing. You wouldn't.

Ego, the allure of coaching in the SEC, returning to the SEC.

On a side note, you in 2011:

"I agree that McDonnell is a long shot. BUT...If that's the guy you want the pitch is simple. We will make you the highest paid coach in the SEC. Of course, I don't know if they feel that way, but if they do that's the deal, even then he might say no."

Ego, the allure of coaching in the SEC, returning to the SEC.

On a side note, you in 2011:

"I agree that McDonnell is a long shot. BUT...If that's the guy you want the pitch is simple. We will make you the highest paid coach in the SEC. Of course, I don't know if they feel that way, but if they do that's the deal, even then he might say no."

Yeah, I was trying to be polite, even so, there's a couple of "if's" properly placed imo.

I was just reading some stuff from back then too.

Ego is right, Not the coach's, the fans that think we are going to back the Brinks truck up to anybody, I'll give you that.

It's hard to come to grips with why the UTAD makes top 10, maybe top 5 money, yet we field a perennially bad baseball team, with facilities that rank at the bottom of the conference. Hell, we aren't all that great at the men's sports we spend on for that matter.

We ain't getting a coach like that, you know it and I know it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was trying to be polite, even so, there's a couple of "if's" properly placed imo.

I was just reading some stuff from back then too.

Ego is right, I'll give you that.

It's hard to come to grips with why the UTAD makes top 10, maybe top 5 money, yet we field a perennially bad baseball team, with facilities that rank at the bottom of the conference.

We ain't getting a coach like that, you know it and I know it.

Sure as hell aren't getting anyone close to him now. Baseball salaries like all other major sports are getting out of control. I imagine the next guy will be hired around $500k regardless of where he comes from.

Sure as hell aren't getting anyone close to him now. Baseball salaries like all other major sports are getting out of control. I imagine the next guy will be hired around $500k regardless of where he comes from.

Probably. CDS was making around that, so there's half the budget for baseball at UT, while LSU has a 4 million dollar budget for baseball.

Probably. CDS was making around that, so there's half the budget for baseball at UT, while LSU has a 4 million dollar budget for baseball.

As you said the other day the fans just don't care enough either. It's a catch 22; spend the money, make the effort and hope it pays off and fans start showing up to provide revenue. Or don't pour in the effort, hope fans show up and provide some solid revenue, then invest hard. We're a fickle fanbase, in terms of attendance, in everything but football. Like frye, I've been going to Hoover fairly regularly over the last 10 yrs simply because I enjoy sports. I go to sporting events, of course hoping my team wins, but first and foremost I enjoy the experience of live sports. We have too many "fans" who only care about the outcome or perceived outcome of said event. If I lived in Knoxville I'd be broke, divorced, unemployed or all 3 beacause I would be on campus year round.

As you said the other day the fans just don't care enough either. It's a catch 22; spend the money, make the effort and hope it pays off and fans start showing up to provide revenue. Or don't pour in the effort, hope fans show up and provide some solid revenue, then invest hard. We're a fickle fanbase, in terms of attendance, in everything but football. Like frye, I've been going to Hoover fairly regularly over the last 10 yrs simply because I enjoy sports. I go to sporting events, of course hoping my team wins, but first and foremost I enjoy the experience of live sports. We have too many "fans" who only care about the outcome or perceived outcome of said event. If I lived in Knoxville I'd be broke, divorced, unemployed or all 3 beacause I would be on campus year round.

Well, I do live here. I was born here.... you know...Condredge Holloway, Todd Helton, Jimmy Streater, Al Wilson, Peyton, Tee, Bernard King, Candace, Stanley Morgan...

I have a 9 year old.

His favorite player in any sport was AJ Simcox, because he met him. I bought him an AJ Johnson jersey, before...well you know...before that it was Justin Hunter, hmmm, not exactly...Cedirick Wilson...I would have loved to have bought a Josh Dobbs jersey but I couldn't find one, not sure if they are even allowed to make one because they don't believe Josh should be able to profit off of it...STUPID.

My wife, who is not from here, she's from Northern Va., calls me a glutton for punishment.

I've got tons of great memories regarding UT sports, sadly, the rest of my family doesn't.

I have donated in small ways, I have participated in career days, but buying season tickets for football is not something I can do, so it's baseball.

We can afford baseball and we go....and sometimes we just watch the stream...when there is one...sometimes we just listen and when I say we, I mean I listen and they say, hey honey, or hey dad, what is the score?

When I was nine, the coaches, the players...they were super heroes. Heck, Holly Warlick was a guard at Bearden HS and my baby sitter and then a freshman at UT, now listen to the way folks talk...you really want Chris Burke, Todd Helton, etc...?

and it wasn't like we were killing it then either. We weren't what Alabama is in Football, UK was still UK in basketball, and Pat Summitt was just getting her feet wet, we had crossover players in baseball, but not any real success and you certainly never saw baseball or softball on TV.

The problem, as I see it...when us older folks move on, and the folks older than us move on, I wonder who is going to care about UT sports, especially the sports that aren't football? Where is the good will?

It's become professional sports, except the schools make more than the folks playing the sport.

The amount of all the athletic scholarships, men's and women's makes up roughly, between 10-20% of the overall athletic budget.

The budget is well over $120,000,000.

Last edited:
Let me put it another way.

The University of Tennessee could afford to put every athlete, both male and female on a full ride, literally. Subscribing to Title IX is a minimum requirement.

So, let's take 11.7 to court.

We are prepared to fully invest in each and everyone of our student athlete's your honor, football players and rowing team alike. Why should we be bound by antiquated Title IX laws when we are prepared to do better?

Want to compete with VU and UVA in baseball? This is how you do it.

Reactions: 1 person
83ff80fc7902b574b7efb39cafacc84b.jpg

1980_11-1_UVA_Tenn_tickets.jpg

s-l225.jpg

s-l225.jpg

It's a football game.

Let me put it another way.

The University of Tennessee could afford to put every athlete, both male and female on a full ride, literally. Subscribing to Title IX is a minimum requirement.

So, let's take 11.7 to court.

We are prepared to fully invest in each and everyone of our student athlete's your honor, football players and rowing team alike. Why should we be bound by antiquated Title IX laws when we are prepared to do better?

Want to compete with VU and UVA in baseball? This is how you do it.

Couldn't agree more.

VN Store

Back