New Asst. Position Discussion

Lister is a good suggestion. Kara Lawson would be good, too, but I doubt we can get her to leave ESPN.

Look for current assistants at other schools with strong programs.

Reactions: 1 person
Lister doesn't have enough experience yet and we need somebody that is a strong recruiter.

Shea Ralph would be my dream candidate to join this staff, but I don't know how realistic that is. I don't know as much about Moseley.

If they are going to pay the new assistant what they were paying Elzy, Holly can and should aim high....

I would hire Jasmine Lister if I was looking for a young offensive minded coach to help me with recruiting and guard play. She is currently the grad assistant (her second season) at UConn and has spent time learning from Geno and how he runs practices and how he works with players. The chances of her making a WNBA roster is very slim and she will be looking for a coaching job when her time is up in May at UConn. She played at Vandy and had a very good career (knows the SEC) she would be a great addition if we are looking for someone outside of the Lady Vols coaching tree

That sounds like a fabulous suggestion. Honestly.

Lister does have that UConn connection....Sounds great.

Get someone that knows more offense than just throw it inside....That attack has worn thin.

Lister does have that UConn connection....Sounds great.

Get someone that knows more offense than just throw it inside....That attack has worn thin.

+++++++++++''

If they DO read this board,,,

Then they just got some good advice. It would do a ton towards getting on track with the "Evil Genius II",,, aka Geno

I would hire Jasmine Lister if I was looking for a young offensive minded coach to help me with recruiting and guard play. She is currently the grad assistant (her second season) at UConn and has spent time learning from Geno and how he runs practices and how he works with players. The chances of her making a WNBA roster is very slim and she will be looking for a coaching job when her time is up in May at UConn. She played at Vandy and had a very good career (knows the SEC) she would be a great addition if we are looking for someone outside of the Lady Vols coaching tree

Just an FYI - Lister has a training camp contract with the LA Sparks for who she play about 8 games with last year when they were down a few injured guards. Second time around with the coach as she was in training camp and was the last cut when he was coaching in Seattle. I think she has a chance to make the LA team this year depending on who else they bring in - she looked good in the games she played last year.
I think she is 'young and inexperienced' but she could be a really good hire by someone - she has taken her job seriously and when the USA team was on campus she was the coach and played on the practice squad for the trials against the NT team.

Not if Mickey knew about the relationship and to my knowledge Mickey no longer wants to be Head Coach

If Holly is smart enough, she should go after Candace Parker. Hire her so she can stop going to overseas. And she got so much connections with young players. She was the one that path to come and see Magan Simmon when no body was paying attention on her,

Lister is a great candidate. Holly needs to stay away from the LV tree, no offense to Pat. We need an infusion of offensive-minded, fundamentally-sound coaching. Holly has defense covered. Please concentrate on offense.

Better strength-and-conditioning strategy would improve this team as well. Russell must become stronger this off season, and Dunbar's agility needs upgrading.

Go Lady Vols!

New-Jersey-nepotism.jpg

I don't really want a coach in training,i hope that CHW can get an established coach,one that has experience and is good,now as to who that could be,I have no idea :)

LA Tech would be a good place for her. I'm not sure Mickie will be staying. I wonder if they will keep anyone on the current coaching staff, especially since it appears that something has probably been going on with Tyler and the student athlete for a while.

Don't just automatically assume others "knew" something. I have been in several work situations where 2 persons had something going on for months and years, and nobody else had a clue. Give them the benefit of the doubt. Enough folks have been damaged by this, no need to throw anyone else on the bonfire.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't really want a coach in training,i hope that CHW can get an established coach,one that has experience and is good,now as to who that could be,I have no idea :)

The problem is that 'coach in training' really is another way of saying 'assistant coach'.
I don't think you are going to convince an assistant coach from another good program to make a parallel move to TN. There might be an assistant from a program that just fired a coach, but ... sort of a red flag. So you are either looking for people starting out their careers or assistants from lower levels.
There are certainly a bunch of 'gems' out there, but none of us are likely to know who they are. Marisa Mosley when she was hired at Uconn was unknown I think to the general public, but has been a great hire. And she came from Minn. so it was a parallel-ish move, but was also returning to the area she grew up and still had family. And working with Geno probably carries more cachet than working with Holly.

your right Miami,I'm hoping that CHW has reached out to Mickie DeMoss,but who knows about that

hopefully CHW will find an assistant coach that is on the upward swing

I'm sure most coaches don't really care about a parallel move,unless the money is a lot better

Lister would also improve the scenery vastly.

She would go a long way to calm down the male population that follows the LVs....Maybe calm isn't the right word, but she does know offense....Any kind of Geno influence would be a big help...
Jasmine-Lister-4.jpg

The problem is that 'coach in training' really is another way of saying 'assistant coach'.
I don't think you are going to convince an assistant coach from another good program to make a parallel move to TN. There might be an assistant from a program that just fired a coach, but ... sort of a red flag. So you are either looking for people starting out their careers or assistants from lower levels.
There are certainly a bunch of 'gems' out there, but none of us are likely to know who they are. Marisa Mosley when she was hired at Uconn was unknown I think to the general public, but has been a great hire. And she came from Minn. so it was a parallel-ish move, but was also returning to the area she grew up and still had family. And working with Geno probably carries more cachet than working with Holly.

++++++++++++

Looks aside, she trained under Geno and right now his brand of basketball works.

++++++++

Right now, tired old basketball ain't working,,, Maybe its time for a "coach in training" to teach the coaches that are "trained", that there is another approach to this game. AAU has kept up with it. I have kept up with it. UT's staff has sat back and rode on a name for years. . . Girl's wanted to play for Pat Summit. And Pat wasn't shy around a camera. She lit up.......

Geno's staff is doing the same,,,riding his name. . . . Proof?,,,,,, name his staff right now.... You can name his players all day. Not his staff..... Geno knows the trick. The trick is to be the team's identity as a coach. Takes the focus off the team, But its hard to do. You have to be a media muncher to coach in college. . . The more focus you can take off of your team, the better.

I walked into the same gyms in Atlanta for nine years. All with the same org. The refs, coaches, past players,,, All knew I would have new teams, the constant was me. . . Pat has been the constant forever at UT... HW has no chance of staying in that position unless she learns to love the attention.... If she can get past this rough season and be just a little bit "larger than life"... she can still make a go of this thing. The girls,,,, """They know how to do what they are taught to do"""".

but she does look good in the in game interviews ,where she has confidence,not being in front of a microphone

VN Store

Back