NCAA Says Play Immediately.

"Transfer windows, which are sport-specific, remain in place and require undergraduate athletes to enter their names into the portal at certain times to be immediately eligible at a new school. Graduate students can already transfer multiple times and enter the portal outside the windows while maintaining immediate eligibility."

I’ve said before… soon we’ll just be pulling for a jersey and a helmet with some strange kids head in it

High level programs will always have a core group of players mixed with some mercenaries.

I'm not dating or in a relationship with anyone who plays for UT....mainly because I'm a straight man who is married. Why would it matter that much to me if some of the roster started their career elsewhere and guys who aren't happy decide to leave?

At least we aren't losing guys because of grades or illegal activity anymore. It's not really that much different. Also, did anyone who watched our basketball team lament having Knecht?

Why would anyone not buy a Nico jersey? Only place that kid is leaving for is the NFL.
And you know this how? There is no guarantees with any of these players. There is no loyalty given to any university anymore. If he or his parents think the grass is greener somewhere else, he too will look somewhere else. Don’t fool yourself into thinking he couldn’t ever leave UT.

Reactions: Sea Ray
Wonder how long it will be before teams start recruiting players for individual games instead of just seasons? 😳

Number of switches doesn't matter now.
Are there not still defined windows for entry?

Is there not wording that prohibits playing at two different schools in same season? Thought I read that.

My theory is the NCAA is wanting either Congress or the courts to FURTHER define total rules of engagement, instead of getting slapped around. When it gets bad enough all the reps with ties to the LESSER BLESSED SCHOOLS will demand some fairness and impose it on NCAA. Until then they can just blame the courts.

With money still the root of all evil, I still believe they will require the individual athletes earnings to be unlimited, but require a cap on the NIL amount each team can have each season on their roster to force distribution of athletes just like scholly limits WHICH have never been challenged. Now it is legal no reason to not report it and how to handle deferred income is biggest obstacle. NFL has roster limits and salary caps as the pattern.

Reactions: tn4elvis
Senior Day is going to be rather awkward going forward:

"Jimbo spent his first season at Marquette, then played at Louisville, followed by Creighton, and we're so happy that he spent
the final seven months of his collegiate career with Tennessee. It really feels like he's been here longer, doesn't it? At least ten months!
His teammates all say that he's a funny guy--he kept confusing our coach's name with the coach
at Creighton, and never quite learned how to spell Knoxville, but his play was so, so instrumental in our amazing 5th place finish in the
tough, 20-team SEC, and we're sorry his stay was so short. But they apparently said that at his other schools as well! Jimbo isn't sure
what he'll do next, but said he's bought a beach house in the Bahamas with his NIL money and he plans to take it easy for a while. College
sports is tough, eh?! All the best, Jimbo."

Reactions: Berry4Heisman14
Are there not still defined windows for entry?

Is there not wording that prohibits playing at two different schools in same season? Thought I read that.

My theory is the NCAA is wanting either Congress or the courts to FURTHER define total rules of engagement, instead of getting slapped around. When it gets bad enough all the reps with ties to the LESSER BLESSED SCHOOLS will demand some fairness and impose it on NCAA. Until then they can just blame the courts.

With money still the root of all evil, I still believe they will require the individual athletes earnings to be unlimited, but require a cap on the NIL amount each team can have each season on their roster to force distribution of athletes just like scholly limits WHICH have never been challenged. Now it is legal no reason to not report it and how to handle deferred income is biggest obstacle. NFL has roster limits and salary caps as the pattern.
I know not the answer to all your questions, as I'm not the NCAA or a Congressional. I doubt they know the answers either. But (heh heh heh) I can't resist). Money is not the root of all evil. That shocks some folks, but it's the truth. Like gun advocates are fond of saying (guns) money doesn't ruin people, people ruin people. That's why Timothy said, "The love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." And Mr. Slappy (Will Smith) claimed that, "Love makes you do crazy things."

I just love helping my fellow Vols fans.

If we are waiting on the courts, congress or the ncaa to decide anything good for the game then we are screwed. All three are corrupt institutions that should be held accountable for their failures and actions. The fans are going to get the raw end of this mess.

And you know this how? There is no guarantees with any of these players. There is no loyalty given to any university anymore. If he or his parents think the grass is greener somewhere else, he too will look somewhere else. Don’t fool yourself into thinking he couldn’t ever leave UT.

With his contract it would have to be due to a complete lack of development and the odds of that are next to none.

If we are waiting on the courts, congress or the ncaa to decide anything good for the game then we are screwed. All three are corrupt institutions that should be held accountable for their failures and actions. The fans are going to get the raw end of this mess.
The NCAA is only going to get slapped if they take the lead, but there are way more schools and therefore constituents at second tier schools looking for some ground leveling. So I think mods will come from this side.

Bottom line the vast majority sports need the NCAA pretty close to old school. Soccer, tennis, swimming, gymnastics, even the majority of track etc. may be NIL impacted, but not driven. Still have all D2 and D3 to structure for championships. Not to mention D1 below P5 and G5. Lots of Alma maters to be supported.

Final solution will probably be NIL divisions for the applicable sports, with unlimited NIL with the rest ending up with some logical restrictions for individuals and programs allowing some pay. Want the big money? Move up. Lawsuits done. Have to provide a path, not a universal path from Bama to Slippery Rock.

Still enough interest for small Division P(ro) Championships and D1 still exist. March Madness without the biggest money guys could still flourish. BCS football too. Fans still gonna fan. Just a new level between current top and pros.

Those feeling abused will galvanize and get the ball rolling.

unhappiness from the less endowed masses will eventually find a solution path of some kind.

In general I agree, but when I player is already making that much money its not likely. I think a scenerios where he leaves for more money would mean he's had a Heisman campaign type season. In which case he's one year away from the NFL and Heupel is the QB whisperer.

This only applies to players that are already making tons of money and know the NFL is coming quick though.

Reactions: gainesvol82
They weren’t bound by loyalty before either. The conditions conspired against them having real options once they signed the LOI.

Reactions: gainesvol82
Wonder how long it will be before teams start recruiting players for individual games instead of just seasons? 😳
Kinda like trade deadline in the pros. Are you a contender but need a specific position? Just trade with teams like Kentucky or South Carolina who will never be in the hunt for the position of need.

Reactions: Volnut
Kinda like trade deadline in the pros. Are you a contender but need a specific position? Just trade with teams like Kentucky or South Carolina who will never be in the hunt for the position of need.
Yup, I was thinking too of MLB where a team will call up a player from the minors to fill a need for a few weeks while a starter is on the DL. Players in CFB are in danger of becoming plug and play parts instead of members of a true team.

VN Store

Back