'19 NC CB Shyheim Battle

* The Vols hosted a number of DBs this weekend, and Shyheim Battle, Tyus Fields and Aaron Beasley all saw real opportunity to play early for the Vols and have legit interest in Tennessee.

- Simonton

Reactions: 3 people
my first impression was, ‘this place is big.’ i wasn't expecting that. I pretty much liked everything i saw,” said battle. “it was better than i expected. I wasn’t expecting half of what i saw. I didn’t think tennessee was that big on football, but i saw they’ve got a lot of history and they are pretty big on football.” the 6-foot-2, 173-pound battle said clemson remains at the top of his list, just ahead of n.c. State. Tennessee previously was behind ohio state, too, with duke rounding out his top five. But he said he’s now even higher on the vols after his overnight stay in knoxville. “i have them ranked at number three right now."

battle said the best part of the visit was meeting first-year tennessee coach jeremy pruitt, who had spoken with battle on the phone. “he’s a real nice, cool coach,” battle said. “i mean, he's a people person. He really knows how to talk to people. We talked for an hour, and he told me that he likes how i look him in his eyes when i talk to him. He liked my character. He likes pretty much how i play.

“he works on corners — i mean, that’s his main job, is with corners — and he’s put some in the league. He said i could be one of them. He believes in me. I could feel that. That was pretty much the highlight, talking with him. “in person, he seemed to be a lot more down-to-earth. When i was on the phone with him, i thought he was just, like, a coach that don’t talk too much. I thought he just, like, didn’t get along too good with the players. But i got to see him in person.”

some of tennessee’s players, battle said, confirmed to him that they “love” pruitt. “they think it’s going to be a big change this year, and he said he’s going to change the culture, also, so he’s going to be doing his thing and changing it,” battle said of pruitt. “the players love him. He told me he’s going to be hard on his guys, but he only does it to make them better. I mean, i could tell he’s going to be a good coach.”

battle said he noticed the vols’ issues at cornerback during their spring game. “as i watched the corners, the smaller ones that were kind of short and stocky, they made a lot of false steps, and they didn’t have enough speed to catch up to the receivers once they got past them,” he said. “their techniques were kind of off, and i noticed that. And with the bigger guys, they were too slow to make a move on the receivers to keep up with them, so they got blown past, too. “i saw a lot of bad things with their corners. I didn’t believe they were really as bad as coach said, but it did show up on the field.”

battle said tennessee’s neyland stadium is “the biggest stadium i’ve been in.” “they said when it’s filled, it’s amazing,” he said. "it keeps all the noise inside, so it gets really loud in there. … there was a lot of people there. The vol walk was pretty cool. They came down the hill with their uniforms on ready to go. That was a really cool experience.” battle said he wants to hit the road this summer to visit lsu, ohio state, tennessee and south carolina. He plans to enroll at the school of his choice in january, but he doesn't expect to make his college decision for at least a few more months.

Reactions: 1 person

Thanks RS. Interesting feedback from Battle..
- I’ve noticed that several recruits have been impressed with the way Pruitt communicates, which I interepret as being down to earth.
- Truth is, UT has been off the radar a long time. Many of the kids have no idea about our history
- It also seems that the kids all like coach Neidermeyer, which most all have said, “he’s a funny dude.”
- Most interesting comment again confirmed that our corners aren’t where they need to be at this time..

Last edited:

FYI.... The majority of the false steps he is talking about is on press bail in cover 3... A lot of guys hop whenever they "bail" so to avoid that you turn your outside toe inward so they can naturally role of the foot... And bail with some speed behind it. Also the typical false steps....

We have a high school junior pointing out the mistakes of college cornerbacks. Thanks, Butch.

Reactions: 2 people
Someone was complaining the other day in another thread about how all of these post-visit interviews are exactly the same. Well, rejoice, because this one broke the mold.

This kid is either stupid or clueless. It is ok to say we need help at corner... It is not ok to pick them apart...

Why! Because you can only be critical here on this forum?? The really sad thing is he's right and it's that obvious...and was never addressed on Butch's watch.

Reactions: 2 people
This kid is either stupid or clueless. It is ok to say we need help at corner... It is not ok to pick them apart...

The majority of the false steps he is talking about is on press bail in cover 3... A lot of guys hop whenever they "bail" so to avoid that you turn your outside toe inward so they can naturally role of the foot... And bail with some speed behind it. Also the typical false steps....

Pot, meet kettle lol

Reactions: 4 people
I don't mind anything Battle said. We have been bad for a while, so some recruits probably do think it's because we don't care. However, how can you be a football player and not know that Tennessee has a big stadium? That's common knowledge even among recruits that aren't interested in us.

VN Store

Back