NBC Sports article "Do Tennessee fans want Bruce Pearl back?"

Nah, that's what keeping Martin would be. We already know he is not a big time coach and gets out witted by opposing coaches so it's crazy to even entertain the idea of keeping Martin another year.

Pearl would definitely be the deal with the devil. Martin would be more like deal with a looney toon.

Would bringing Pearl back be like making a pact with the Devil?

No, Pearl isn't the Devil, he made some mistakes, owned them, asked for forgivness, and got fired anyway.

There are a lot of other coaches that have done a lot worse than Pearl that were never fired and are still coaching today.

I challenge anyone on here to look at their own lives, and not find mistakes either proffesionally or personally. No one is perfect, if you think you are then you are kidding no one but yourself. Just my two cents.

No, Pearl isn't the Devil, he made some mistakes, owned them, asked for forgivness, and got fired anyway.

There are a lot of other coaches that have done a lot worse than Pearl that were never fired and are still coaching today.

I challenge anyone on here to look at their own lives, and not find mistakes either proffesionally or personally. No one is perfect, if you think you are then you are kidding no one but yourself. Just my two cents.

Casey Anthony get off with murder, while others go to jail for marijuana. It doesn't matter what happened to others for worse, the only thing that matters is what happened to him. I hate how people try to justify Pearl based only on what others do. He broke the rules, was found guilty of it, and was fired. End of discussion.

Reactions: 1 person
Hey,
What if something crazy happens like the following,
Let's say Lanaurdi is right and we get in the dance, then we hit a very lucky streak and get a break or to and go deep into the tourney. How do you see Hart managing that one?
It's a very long shot but stranger things have happened. Defensive minded teams have done ok in the past.
How do you think we would handle that senerio?

Casey Anthony get off with murder, while others go to jail for marijuana. It doesn't matter what happened to others for worse, the only thing that matters is what happened to him. I hate how people try to justify Pearl based only on what others do. He broke the rules, was found guilty of it, and was fired. End of discussion.

Nobody is arguing that what he did was not a violation of rules. I simply read people stating that he shouldn't be crucified by being banned from this school. I hear folks preaching forgiveness and second chances. People feel that Bruce has repented. And people are simply asking those of is who are perfect to cast the first stone.

Bruce served as the NCAAs example graciously, quietly, and without bitterness or complaint. He owns his mistakes.

Not hiring Bruce because he broke the rules is not a good reason. He served his punishment.

Nobody is arguing that what he did was not a violation of rules. I simply read people stating that he shouldn't be crucified by being banned from this school. I hear folks preaching forgiveness and second chances. People feel that Bruce has repented. And people are simply asking those of is who are perfect to cast the first stone.

Bruce served as the NCAAs example graciously, quietly, and without bitterness or complaint. He owns his mistakes.

Not hiring Bruce because he broke the rules is not a good reason. He served his punishment.

A former manager got fired for manipulating our credit applications turned in at my retail store. He did it because it helped the store's numbers in the district. I guarantee he is sorry and has repented. Still doesn't mean he'll ever get rehired at this store. And for good reason.

A former manager got fired for manipulating our credit applications turned in at my retail store. He did it because it helped the store's numbers in the district. I guarantee he is sorry and has repented. Still doesn't mean he'll ever get rehired at this store. And for good reason.

Can said employee fill a 20,000 seat arena with people willing to spend money to see a product he can put on a court?

Can said employee fill a 20,000 seat arena with people willing to spend money to see a product he can put on a court?

Our store had better numbers on sales and surveys with him. Still not hired back. Hired at another store but not ours.

The problem was not him breaking the rules, it was his lying and wanting to cover up the rule breaking by asking kid and family to say it didn't happen. That's where I believe the problem lies with bringing him back. If he would just said "yeah I had a cookout where a h.s. Jr showed up, sorry" I think he would still be our coach.

Interestingly enough I'd say non UT fans in the SEC want Pearl back. He made UT a competitive team yearly. Something the SEC really needs.

You left out He lied. Nice try though.

Reactions: 2 people

So I guess that you are perfect? I guess you haven't ever made mistakes.

Pearl made a bad mistake and has paid dearly for his mistake. His ethics will likely always be questioned. However, he has handled the situation as well as anyone could. It is absolutely fair to look at how other coaches that have broken the rules and committed offenses greater than Pearl's have been treated by the NCAA. Pearl's penalties were much greater than other coaches who had a mini-game suspension and are still coaching. He was mistreated by the NCAA to make an example. I never thought I would support his return to UT when he was fired. However, the NCAA response to others now cause me to believe he very much deserves another chance and should return to UT as head coach. Martin is likely a good man, but he will never have this program at a level that Pearl can achieve.

You left out He lied. Nice try though.

He did lie and I don't agree with that, but he admitted it, and ask for forgivness. You can't keep beating someone up after they make a bad mistake at some point someone will give Pearl a second chance, and if its not UT, Pearl will make UT and their fans regret it.

Pearl made a bad mistake and has paid dearly for his mistake. His ethics will likely always be questioned. However, he has handled the situation as well as anyone could. It is absolutely fair to look at how other coaches that have broken the rules and committed offenses greater than Pearl's have been treated by the NCAA. Pearl's penalties were much greater than other coaches who had a mini-game suspension and are still coaching. He was mistreated by the NCAA to make an example. I never thought I would support his return to UT when he was fired. However, the NCAA response to others now cause me to believe he very much deserves another chance and should return to UT as head coach. Martin is likely a good man, but he will never have this program at a level that Pearl can achieve.

I agree completly with your opinion, but I thougt that after Pearl did his suspension that would suffice, UT got scared and let him go anyway. If the folks at UT had any balls they would have stuck with Pearl, but they threw him under the bus because they got scared. Pearl should have never been fired!

The problem was not him breaking the rules, it was his lying and wanting to cover up the rule breaking by asking kid and family to say it didn't happen. That's where I believe the problem lies with bringing him back. If he would just said "yeah I had a cookout where a h.s. Jr showed up, sorry" I think he would still be our coach.

If he had legal representation with him at the meeting or been advised prior to going in it, he would not have made the mistake of lying to them, and there would have never been an issue.

So I guess that you are perfect? I guess you haven't ever made mistakes.

I'm not, and I have. But, I've never brought the governing body of my employer down on my employer, never had them on the brink of taking "corrective action" on my employer, or been fired from an employer. Big difference.

By "corrective action" I obviously mean sanctions and such on to the program.

Last edited:
If he had legal representation with him at the meeting or been advised prior to going in it, he would not have made the mistake of lying to them, and there would have never been an issue.

Well we know what can be said about ifs and buts. The thing is he didn't get thrown under the bus by UT, he felt he was above the school, the players, and the fans because he thought he could lie about a little olé cookout and get away with it. I really really liked BP as our coach, but I believe he doesn't deserve to coach at our great school now, jmo. It's not just about winning, it's winning without anyone being able to say you had to cheat to win.

I agree completly with your opinion, but I thougt that after Pearl did his suspension that would suffice, UT got scared and let him go anyway. If the folks at UT had any balls they would have stuck with Pearl, but they threw him under the bus because they got scared. Pearl should have never been fired!

I agree. The NCAA wanted Pearl fired and UT was so afraid of possible sanctions that they obliged.

Well we know what can be said about ifs and buts. The thing is he didn't get thrown under the bus by UT, he felt he was above the school, the players, and the fans because he thought he could lie about a little olé cookout and get away with it. I really really liked BP as our coach, but I believe he doesn't deserve to coach at our great school now, jmo. It's not just about winning, it's winning without anyone being able to say you had to cheat to win.

Having some kids at a BBQ is not exactly my idea of an effort to cheat to win.

VN Store

Back