NBA Superstars as college coaches .....

I often wonder if that's why Peyton hasnt gone into coaching. Of course we hold him in extremely high esteem but so does the NFL. If he doesnt become the next Saban then his reputation is tarnished

He's got one of the highest approval ratings in history, going on 20 years. No need to mess with that.

Reactions: OrangeInKy
I often wonder if that's why Peyton hasnt gone into coaching. Of course we hold him in extremely high esteem but so does the NFL. If he doesnt become the next Saban then his reputation is tarnished
Because he makes 10x the money (maybe even more) doing things that aren't as time-consuming and stressful as coaching. He doesn't coach because he has much better job offers/opportunities than that.

Reactions: OrangeInKy
First of all, a small and unnecessary quibble...I would say the only superstars there are Ewing and Penny. The other guys were stars, but not on that level.

If I'm a millionaire retired NBA player, I don't want anything to do with recruiting. That would be a grind. I can see them being lazy about it. Some guys just don't know how to scheme. Some guys don't know how to teach. But guess what? The success rate for most coaches of any background is really bad. Almost every coaching tenure ends badly, and very few go beyond 10 years.

Somebody mentioned Avery Johnson...the guy had the best record in the NBA and went to a finals. The guy can coach. Failure just happens in this profession. It's a part of it for almost everyone.
As far as Avery Johnson, I was mentoring his time at Alabama,but yes his time at Dallas in the NBA he was successful. @WillisWG That's the quote I was looking for.

IMO, Peyton wants to be an owner. That means right now he's got to continue to make as much money as possible, work on building an ownership group, while continuing to be an ambassador and still one of the most recognizable faces in the league.

Becoming a college coach would totally derail all that.

Maybe not terrible, but I'd say closer to bad than good at this point.

It's somewhat surprising because his track record coaching East High School and AAU suggested he'd have more success. Even if you dismiss his stint at East as benefiting from superior talent advantage, he was still successful coaching AAU where the talent was even. (So I read in an article about his AAU stints a few years ago).

Tiger High is getting itself into a quagmire with Penny. He's revered by the city so he's nowhere near a hot seat, but he keeps under performing. If Tiger High eventually decides to move on, they're unlikely to find a replacement that can recruit the level of talent he brings in.
Simply my opinion, but I think his biggest issue has been his immaturity.

First of all, a small and unnecessary quibble...I would say the only superstars there are Ewing and Penny. The other guys were stars, but not on that level.

If I'm a millionaire retired NBA player, I don't want anything to do with recruiting. That would be a grind. I can see them being lazy about it. Some guys just don't know how to scheme. Some guys don't know how to teach. But guess what? The success rate for most coaches of any background is really bad. Almost every coaching tenure ends badly, and very few go beyond 10 years.

Somebody mentioned Avery Johnson...the guy had the best record in the NBA and went to a finals. The guy can coach. Failure just happens in this profession. It's a part of it for almost everyone.

First of all, a small and unnecessary quibble. Chris Mullin is a pro HOFer, College HOfer, two time Gold Medalist including the original Dream Team. At least a 5 time All Star

Add Avery Johnson and Isiah Thomas to that list.

This thread instantly reminds me of the quote "Those who can't play,coach" It worked out and has continued to work out with coaches like Roy Williams, Mark Few and Scott Drew who weren't really good players. I'm sure everyone knows about Roy Williams playing for UNCs jv team. Mick Cronin never played college basketball,and took UCLA to the Final Four and had success at Cincinnati. I'm sure there's others,but that's who stands out.

Like mentioned earlier,being great at something won't always translate to coaching others. There would have to be a bit of a ego involved. For example,I'm not calling for Micheal Jordan to coach UNC similar to what was previously mentioned about Peyton.
Isiah turned everything to shiit that he touched.

Reactions: Pennheel
You can actually do a similar analysis (both ways) with College Football and the NFL.

Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh are the only two exceptions in that space (in recent history). If you go back far enough, you also have Jimmy Johnson and Howard Schnellenberger.

VN Store

Back