My little speech (WARNING: very long)

UTVolsManningFan

Bruce Pearl was fired today. I cannot express my sadness. Bruce Pearl to me IS Tennessee basketball. I did not give a rat's ass about the basketball program in 2004. I did however follow UT football like it was the greatest thing ever. I was only a kid at the time but I could really have cared less if the Vols won a basketball game. Sure I wanted them to win but I didn’t follow the program.

I will never forget, NEVER, forget that one day in December of 2005 when my dad tells me that Tennessee is beating Texas in a basketball game. I had been hearing about the new coach, Bruce Pearl, quite a bit. My dad was telling me that he’s a good coach and could really turn the program around. But anyways on that day of the Texas game my dad and I were at the gym and we went into the locker room to watch the game. I don’t remember much about the game itself except that there was this kid that could shoot the ball like crazy. This kid named Chris Lofton. As you all know Tennessee won the game and Tennessee made it to the NCAA tournament that year. I became a Tennessee basketball fan.

The next season I could not wait for basketball season, mostly because the football team did absolutely terrible and I was hoping to have a good basketball year. We had a good year and we were back in the tournament. It was great! The following seasons were always the same: very good. VERY good.

Fast-foward to 2010. Tennessee is in the Elite 8 for the first time ever. In seasons past we had a number 1 ranking, beat many top 10 teams, won huge games and here we are. Playing Michigan State to make it to the Final Four. We lost that game. We had many opportunities to win but we didn’t. Sure I was let down but all I could think about was how far the basketball program had come in just 5 years. And why? Bruce Pearl. Bruce put Tennessee basketball on the map. He put us in contention for not only the SEC title, but the NATIONAL title. Pearl also came to the University at the perfect time. The football program sucked. They were terrible. Had it not been for the basketball team I would have been ashamed to be a Vols fan. But Bruce Pearl and the University of Tennessee basketball team made me PROUD to be a Tennessee Vol. He took my mind off the epic fail that was UT football at that time.

I will be forever grateful for Bruce Pearl. He gave his all for Tennessee basketball every day. The thought of watching a basketball game without one of, if not THE most energetic coach on the sidelines makes me sick. I can’t even imagine it. I will never be as proud to be a Tennessee fan as I was when Bruce took us to the Elite 8.

I don’t care how much you make fun of me. Go ahead do whatever the hell you want, this is just something I had to do. I stand by Bruce Pearl and I can only hope for the best for Tennessee basketball. GBO.

P.S.: Fire Mike Hamilton.

Bruce Pearl was fired today. I cannot express my sadness. Bruce Pearl to me IS Tennessee basketball. I did not give a rat's ass about the basketball program in 2004. I did however follow UT football like it was the greatest thing ever. I was only a kid at the time but I could really have cared less if the Vols won a basketball game. Sure I wanted them to win but I didn’t follow the program.

I will never forget, NEVER, forget that one day in December of 2005 when my dad tells me that Tennessee is beating Texas in a basketball game. I had been hearing about the new coach, Bruce Pearl, quite a bit. My dad was telling me that he’s a good coach and could really turn the program around. But anyways on that day of the Texas game my dad and I were at the gym and we went into the locker room to watch the game. I don’t remember much about the game itself except that there was this kid that could shoot the ball like crazy. This kid named Chris Lofton. As you all know Tennessee won the game and Tennessee made it to the NCAA tournament that year. I became a Tennessee basketball fan.

The next season I could not wait for basketball season, mostly because the football team did absolutely terrible and I was hoping to have a good basketball year. We had a good year and we were back in the tournament. It was great! The following seasons were always the same: very good. VERY good.

Fast-foward to 2010. Tennessee is in the Elite 8 for the first time ever. In seasons past we had a number 1 ranking, beat many top 10 teams, won huge games and here we are. Playing Michigan State to make it to the Final Four. We lost that game. We had many opportunities to win but we didn’t. Sure I was let down but all I could think about was how far the basketball program had come in just 5 years. And why? Bruce Pearl. Bruce put Tennessee basketball on the map. He put us in contention for not only the SEC title, but the NATIONAL title. Pearl also came to the University at the perfect time. The football program sucked. They were terrible. Had it not been for the basketball team I would have been ashamed to be a Vols fan. But Bruce Pearl and the University of Tennessee basketball team made me PROUD to be a Tennessee Vol. He took my mind off the epic fail that was UT football at that time.

I will be forever grateful for Bruce Pearl. He gave his all for Tennessee basketball every day. The thought of watching a basketball game without one of, if not THE most energetic coach on the sidelines makes me sick. I can’t even imagine it. I will never be as proud to be a Tennessee fan as I was when Bruce took us to the Elite 8.

I don’t care how much you make fun of me. Go ahead do whatever the hell you want, this is just something I had to do. I stand by Bruce Pearl and I can only hope for the best for Tennessee basketball. GBO.

So you want to fire the guy who still wanted him to stay?

Great Write-up.

The football team was terrible the year before Pearl's first team. 2006 was after his first season.

You have no real knowledge of the basketball program and admit you only became a fan because of Pearl and a poor football program. Go back to football and forget about basketball as you weren't a real fan anyway.

I agree with what you said, but still believe Pearl had to be fired. We can't hold our athletes to a standard the coach isn't keeping. Plus, I really agree with the p.s!!!

Can we not just have one "I am a bandwaggoner who never followed UT basketball before Pearl" thread that everybody can post in?

you know what, I believe that is word for word what he said....

Sure seems like it

Bruce Pearl was fired today. I cannot express my sadness. Bruce Pearl to me IS Tennessee basketball. I did not give a rat's ass about the basketball program in 2004. I did however follow UT football like it was the greatest thing ever. I was only a kid at the time but I could really have cared less if the Vols won a basketball game.

Why would you not give a rats ass about the program in 2004? I have cared about all of UT sports my whole life. Sounds like your not a true UT fan. I care about UT football, basketball, baseball, softball, and even tiddly winks if they had a team. I care about all UT sports today, yesterday, 5 years ago, 20 years ago, tomorrow, next week, next year, 5 years from now, 10 years from now, 20 years from now, 50 years from now, 100 years from now, etc. I care about UT through the good times and the bad times. I care no matter what. This is bleeding orange. You evidently don't.

Looks like idiots are in full action today. Bruce Pearl put UT basketball on the map. Firing him is basically taking away the b ball program

So what would have happened if we'd kept him, watched him get suspended for two years, and picked up some massive sanctions to go with it?

Pearl did this all by himself.

So what would have happened if we'd kept him, watched him get suspended for two years, and picked up some massive sanctions to go with it?

Pearl did this all by himself.

I really can't figure out if the U of Pearl fans don't know this or are just ignoring it, but if UT would have kept Pearl, everything would not have gone back to normal. It would probably have been a tougher rebuild than getting a new coach.

ManningFan, I agree with everything you posted and I feel the same. Except I am 80 years old and have never seen anything in Vol BB like Bruce Pearl. The idiots that make fun of you evidently don't have a heart for good BB, UT or probably themselves. I will make a small protest because I believe the Gov and his Father could have stopped this with one word. No more Pilot gas for me!!!!

Go Vols for ever!!!!!!

I really can't figure out if the U of Pearl fans don't know this or are just ignoring it, but if UT would have kept Pearl, everything would not have gone back to normal. It would probably have been a tougher rebuild than getting a new coach.

Andy Katz has already reported that the punishment will most likely not be mitigated by his firing. Bruce and his staff identified prospects before they shot up the board for others like Josh Shelby and Aaron Craft and Chris Jones. He had ties set up in Atlanta and was continually building up equity in the Memphis area! We had the No.9 overall prospect basically saying that he wanted to play for Pearl, we had Harris' dad saying Tobias would be back for Pearl, and we have Scotty Hopson wanting to come back for his senior year! How is getting a new coach who doesn't have any equity at TN put us in a better situation??? Especially if we get punished just the same. Pearl's proven before that he can get it done with a short bench.

Jeez, I can't understand how people can't understand fans' passion for Pearl when he gets UT on the cover of Sports Illustrated multiple times and endears everyone when his passion for UT matches or surpasses that of the fans! He created a culture of winning and a standard where fans expected to win and looked forward to vying for National Championships! College basketball is funny that way. I live in NC and Bill Gutheridge and Brad Dougherty were at one of the most prestigious basketball programs ever and they proved to be a far cry from Dean Smith's excellence. When you have a great coach you support him even through adversity. I know Pearl doesn't have a National Championship, but do you see UCONN firing Jim Calhoun or Ohio State firing Jim Tressel???

We just set a standard that we will not back our coaches through difficult times. Pearl made a small mistake initially and paid for it by not being excellent at cheating. He was trying to compete against guys like Calipari that bring in four 5 star players all ranked in the top 10 when he has no National Championships himself and has had two Final Fours removed. God forbid we keep coaches that LOVE our university as much as we do!!

ManningFan, I agree with everything you posted and I feel the same. Except I am 80 years old and have never seen anything in Vol BB like Bruce Pearl. The idiots that make fun of you evidently don't have a heart for good BB, UT or probably themselves. I will make a small protest because I believe the Gov and his Father could have stopped this with one word. No more Pilot gas for me!!!!

Go Vols for ever!!!!!!

Would have been better off not posting anything. I started watching during the Allen Houston years so I can endure whatever. PS - We were 19-15 this year.

Don't believe me? I remember watching Scooter McFadgon. Not exactly a "Johnny come lately".

VN Store

Back