My Journey to Alaska and back....again (and other Army/life adventures)

I'm a member (Alpha tier) of the SALUTE Honor Society. I'm trying to get Austin Peay to start a Chapter

Reactions: joevol33
For those of us ex, former, and retired military with a death benefit to be passed on, please take the time and call DFAS and have them explain the claim procedure and requirements to you. Have pen and paper at the ready. Do not leave this up to your beneficiary to discover during their time of grief.

I just did it and feel relieved af!

For those of us ex, former, and retired military with a death benefit to be passed on, please take the time and call DFAS and have them explain the claim procedure and requirements to you. Have pen and paper at the ready. Do not leave this up to your beneficiary to discover during their time of grief.

I just did it and feel relieved af!
And keep all your paperwork in ONE place, clearly labeled, with explanations as to exactly what it is, and easy to access! And maybe take pictures of everything and store them somewhere safe, with an adult kid or other younger relative or family attorney. Daddy left all his stuff well-organized, but in the nearly 40 years after he died, when my mom's dementia started to appear, she messed around with a lot of the paperwork. Thank God she didn't throw anything out though, unlike a lot of her investment records. *pulls hair out yet again*

When I was moving my mom's Army survivor and VA service-connected benefits to a new bank, I went round and round with the representative on the phone, who needed to know what category of service connected conditions my dad had. I had no idea, because the jargon was pretty incomprehensible, even though I'd worked for the VA for years at that point. In the end, she had to pretty much lead me by the nose to it without actually doing so. I hope no one ever listens to the tape...

VN Store

Back