My fear....

Teacher we agree here. The BEST player in the state of Tennessee is committed to UCONN. The worst of all possible teams to allow to get the best player in our state. Recruiting rest squarely on the shoulders of the head coach. That is why we are not going to be relevant again till coaching improves. IMO I do not think Holly can ever get it done personally. Coaching is why I will not be surprised if we are out around the Sweet 16 level. Hopefully we go farther but I am not going to plan on it.

What you "think personally" and what actually IS are two vastly different things.

Reactions: 2 people
The LadyVols are going to be fine,they will be in the NCAA Tournament every season.

Teacher we agree here. The BEST player in the state of Tennessee is committed to UCONN. The worst of all possible teams to allow to get the best player in our state. Recruiting rest squarely on the shoulders of the head coach. That is why we are not going to be relevant again till coaching improves. IMO I do not think Holly can ever get it done personally. Coaching is why I will not be surprised if we are out around the Sweet 16 level. Hopefully we go farther but I am not going to plan on it.

I don't know what to tell you other than if you can't understand how Geno can come into Tennessee and get Dangerfield then I think you probably haven't come to grips with where he is professionally and in the historical context of the sport. the bottom line is this--Geno is giving the women's game it's own Wooden moment. He and his school can sell recruits facts that no other program and coach can match.

Take your blinders off for one sec. If you had a daughter playing basketball and Geno showed up on your doorstep what are you going to do? Tell him to leave...probably not.

Reactions: 3 people
Nonsense; Louisiana Tech and Old Dominion went to pot when major schools started putting money into WBB. You guys will have a lot of talent coming in next year, you have facilities, great fan support and good coaching. Rumors of your demise have been greatly exaggerated.

La Tech, Old Dominion, Stephen F. Austin, Texas, and Texas Tech WBB programs fell apart for several reasons, lack of funding, lack of Athletic Department support, lack of recruiting, bad coaching, and allowing coaches to stay past their prime or interest. Top women programs have to be treated like top men's programs, when teams start going South, adjustments have to be made sooner than later. I applaud Arkansas for changing their WBB program's coach before things got worse.

I don't know what to tell you other than if you can't understand how Geno can come into Tennessee and get Dangerfield then I think you probably haven't come to grips with where he is professionally and in the historical context of the sport. the bottom line is this--Geno is giving the women's game it's own Wooden moment. He and his school can sell recruits facts that no other program and coach can match.

Take your blinders off for one sec. If you had a daughter playing basketball and Geno showed up on your doorstep what are you going to do? Tell him to leave...probably not.

Did Dangerfield even have any interest in Tennessee? Not every single state of Tennessee girl's basketball player wants to play in Knoxville.

One of her schools of interest was OLE MISS.

Step away from the edge...The lady vols will always be there no matter what...The SEC is the toughest womens bball league in the country from top to bottom can't win it every year especially with the coaches we have in the league UT will always be there and ready for the NCAA tourney

It's sad that "having a chance" is where LV fans are now.

We'll take it back 20 years and Pat come calling, it is a 75% chance she would get your child to go to Tennessee, or at least be very interested. Take Geno, with questionable character, and you have the same situation. We have to copy whatever Dawn Staley is doing and keep our best players home. How can you expect to continue to get the best from other states when you can't get the best in your own state? Don't forget that Baylor came into Tennessee and took Nina Davis to Baylor.

We did get MeMe Jackson for 2015. She is an excellent ball player. I am still surprised that we only signed two 2015 recruits and not one big. We were really lucky to sign Te'a as I understand it, she came to Tennessee because of Diamond. Having two open scholarships for a top five program is not a good sign.

Reactions: 1 person
damn people,it is an injury riddle team playing,especially in the post,wouldn't you love to have Izzy and Russell playing ?

and lets not forget about Jones too

We'll take it back 20 years and Pat come calling, it is a 75% chance she would get your child to go to Tennessee, or at least be very interested. Take Geno, with questionable character, and you have the same situation. We have to copy whatever Dawn Staley is doing and keep our best players home. How can you expect to continue to get the best from other states when you can't get the best in your own state? Don't forget that Baylor came into Tennessee and took Nina Davis to Baylor.

We did get MeMe Jackson for 2015. She is an excellent ball player. I am still surprised that we only signed two 2015 recruits and not one big. We were really lucky to sign Te'a as I understand it, she came to Tennessee because of Diamond. Having two open scholarships for a top five program is not a good sign.

Te'a did not choose the Lady Vols because of Diamond. Tennessee was her top choice all along. In fact, most UNC fans believe Diamond chose to transfer here because she knew this is where Te'a was going. This is also not true btw.

#5 in the country. SEC regular SEC co-champs. Great talent coming in next year.

Silly comparison to LA tech but great melodrama

Reactions: 8 people
We need a post player or two other than that were as good as anybody in WCCB. Holly gets the post in great shape we can win the National title. You have to recruit to win. You have to be strong at every position.

You do realize we went 27-5, right?

Squashing rumors...

1. Tennessee program is not going anywhere. Next year, Tennessee will come in as the #2 team preseason behind UCONN.

2. Tennessee could not sell enough playing time to Dangerfield like UCONN could. 2015 guards coming in, UCONN has zero guards, they lost out on Durr on who they wanted. Had to get a top guard for 2016, they went hard after Dangerfield like no other. Dangerfield did have Tennessee on her list. Dangerfield could go to Tennessee and compete for playing time to be the top guard, or go to UCONN and BE the top guard.

3. You call a season where we finished tied for #1 in the conference, and loose in the championship game a demise in our program? Strength of Schedule = 1 RPI = 1 in the country today! The only blemish I see in this season is that lack of respect by the fans. Get it together! You must be a child of Brenda Freeze! Go back to Maryland and play ohio state three times while Tennessee plays South Carolina and Kentucky who would both would roll over them :)

Reactions: 8 people
Squashing rumors...

1. Tennessee program is not going anywhere. Next year, Tennessee will come in as the #2 team preseason behind UCONN.

2. Tennessee could not sell enough playing time to Dangerfield like UCONN could. 2015 guards coming in, UCONN has zero guards, they lost out on Durr on who they wanted. Had to get a top guard for 2016, they went hard after Dangerfield like no other. Dangerfield did have Tennessee on her list. Dangerfield could go to Tennessee and compete for playing time to be the top guard, or go to UCONN and BE the top guard.

3. You call a season where we finished tied for #1 in the conference, and loose in the championship game a demise in our program? Strength of Schedule = 1 RPI = 1 in the country today! The only blemish I see in this season is that lack of respect by the fans. Get it together! You must be a child of Brenda Freeze! Go back to Maryland and play ohio state three times while Tennessee plays South Carolina and Kentucky who would both would roll over them :)

1, Agreed. We should be ranked a preseason #2 or #3 next year.
2. While Dangerfield goes right into Jefferson's position because of Jefferson's graduation instead of having to compete with Cooper at Tennessee, it was Dangerfield that went hard after UConn.
3. Yes, we did well considering all of our injuries. However, this looks like it could turn out to be the seventh season in a row without a trip to the final four for us. I would like to see someone from the SEC make it there. You do realize that it has been 6 years since a team from the SEC has made it that far. Based on that, I would disagree that SC and certainly Kentucky would roll over Maryland.

We are number 2 in the SEC and top 10 in the country and lost to #3 South Carolina - get real people ... what you have to realize is that in the late 80s, 90s and early 2000s when Pat was at the top of the women's game, her legacy was to promote women's basketball not just TN basketball. Now almost 40 years later, people expect Tennessee to still be #1 every year but the sport has grown - UT is still in the top 10 most every year but the "jumpers" always remember the best of Pat but she lost in the first round of the NCAA the year after Candace left and never made it back to a final four. UT hasn't gotten the top player to come to TN until Holly got Russell and DeShields at UT, in some rankings Cooper is #1. We can't get every player in TN and be happy for the M'boro PG going to UConn but with Reynolds, Carter and Cooper coming we will be fine. It would help if we had some top ranked Post talent in the state of TN over 6'3" and the bulk of them not be in TX, the Carolinas, Ill, etc because many of these girls can now stay home and go to a good program with a good coach and big crowds, whereas, in Pat's heyday, UT was one of the few places you could get that combination and be seen on television.

But at the end of the day, you don't know basketball or haven't watched SC play any games, if you were surprised that UT lost to SC with the difference in the size they have with their 3 post rotation vs our two starters at 6'2" and Izzy gone for the post season. If the LVs can keep their outside shot falling throughout the tourney, they have a chance to get to a final four but don't jump off the bridge if they don't. Warlick has this going in the right direction whether some of you guys see it or not. Times have changed and it is time to stop thinking recruiting is like it was in the 1990s for UT and get up to speed.

GO VOLS

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
1, Agreed. We should be ranked a preseason #2 or #3 next year.
2. While Dangerfield goes right into Jefferson's position because of Jefferson's graduation instead of having to compete with Cooper at Tennessee, it was Dangerfield that went hard after UConn.
3. Yes, we did well considering all of our injuries. However, this looks like it could turn out to be the seventh season in a row without a trip to the final four for us. I would like to see someone from the SEC make it there. You do realize that it has been 6 years since a team from the SEC has made it that far. Based on that, I would disagree that SC and certainly Kentucky would roll over Maryland.

ok ok ok, I'll admit maybe a little I got carried away with KY rolling over Maryland, BUT KY would beat Maryland if they played. KY plays too aggressive (like all top sec teams play) for Maryland.

Cooper committed to UT end of May, very beginning of June of 2014. Danger committed middle of October. Danger new 4-5 months before she committed to UCONN what the picture would look like at UT.

ok ok ok, I'll admit maybe a little I got carried away with KY rolling over Maryland, BUT KY would beat Maryland if they played. KY plays too aggressive (like all top sec teams play) for Maryland.

Cooper committed to UT end of May, very beginning of June of 2014. Danger committed middle of October. Danger new 4-5 months before she committed to UCONN what the picture would look like at UT.

I highly doubt Kentucky would beat Maryland. Hell I don't think we would beat Maryland.

The lady vols go the way of old dominion and la tech? First uconn surpassed us. Now we're falling behind some of our SEC competition. The LVs were the one constant on the hill. Now we seem to be a shadow of what we once were. Not winning the SEC once seemed a ridiculous thought. Today shook me. Has our day passed? Someone give me something, anything to put me at ease.

The Lady Vols have won 17 out of 35 SEC tournaments, which means there were plenty years under Pat that we did not win the tournament. It seems that many of our fans just want the results and do not care about the process it takes to win a SEC tournament or even a NCAA title. We are playing with a very limited lineup, not much size (especially compared to South Carolina), and with two freshman playing significant minutes on a national stage. When Pat Summitt, John Wooden, Coach K didn't win their conference title, did you ask then "Has their day passed?" Probably not. Why are we so harsh on our team that we "love?" I understand we represent a historic program and greatness is constantly expected of us, but our girls/coaches have shown heart and effort all season, if you can't appreciate that without a SEC tournament title then that is a shame. Life is not all about winning and losing, especially when the girls are 18-22 years old and giving their all for our program.

Last edited:

Kentucky has played 1 game against a B1G team this year.
They lost to Illinois who is 6-12 in their conference games.
IMO, Dangerfield goes to uconn even if Cooper doesn't sign with the Lady Vols. It was her first choice. But it's all water under the bridge, we have Cooper.

Have you guys not seen how KY plays against better teams than them? At their first practice of the year Mitchell passed our switchblades with their initials on them.

But to get to the numbers of why KY would beat Maryland ....
In KY's games this year, they have played a very good schedule, of course SEC teams, but Louisville, Duke, Baylor, Oklahoma(ish), and they played Illinois outside of the United States.

KY truly thrives on frantic out of control basketball. Slow them down, then you win. Run with them, you will foul them and you will turn the ball over too many times.

KY vs Baylor = B had 25 fouls, KY 26 ft's, B had 24 to's (ky wins)
KY vs Louis = L 27 fouls, KY shoots 20 ft's L had 28 to's (ky wins)
KY vs OK = OK 40 fouls, KY shoots 34 ft's OK had 29 to's (ky wins)
KY vs USC = USC 25 fouls, KY shoots 27 fts USC had 20 to's(ky wins)

Maryland averages 16 to's a game. (Tenn avg. 14)
Clearly, KY wins big games when they are allowed to stick to their game plan "make the team run crazy, causing TO's and Fouls" Maryland hasn't played anybody up-tempo (Notre Dame isn't up-tempo IMO, they are half court team that executes half court like nobody else) that is why I think's KY style of play will win the game, not due to the talent.

Have you guys not seen how KY plays against better teams than them? At their first practice of the year Mitchell passed our switchblades with their initials on them.

But to get to the numbers of why KY would beat Maryland ....
In KY's games this year, they have played a very good schedule, of course SEC teams, but Louisville, Duke, Baylor, Oklahoma(ish), and they played Illinois outside of the United States.

KY truly thrives on frantic out of control basketball. Slow them down, then you win. Run with them, you will foul them and you will turn the ball over too many times.

KY vs Baylor = B had 25 fouls, KY 26 ft's, B had 24 to's (ky wins)
KY vs Louis = L 27 fouls, KY shoots 20 ft's L had 28 to's (ky wins)
KY vs OK = OK 40 fouls, KY shoots 34 ft's OK had 29 to's (ky wins)
KY vs USC = USC 25 fouls, KY shoots 27 fts USC had 20 to's(ky wins)

Maryland averages 16 to's a game. (Tenn avg. 14)
Clearly, KY wins big games when they are allowed to stick to their game plan "make the team run crazy, causing TO's and Fouls" Maryland hasn't played anybody up-tempo (Notre Dame isn't up-tempo IMO, they are half court team that executes half court like nobody else) that is why I think's KY style of play will win the game, not due to the talent.

Both Duke and Illinois had 25 turnovers against Kentucky. Kentucky still lost both of those games.

Well Duke lost to Boston College who is 13-17 so Duke should loose in the first round...
Their are always "those games"
I'm speaking on the majority of how the games have played out for them and using that logic. In this case, when KY has beaten 3 top 10 teams, their opponent had more very high TO's and Fouls and put KY at the foul line. Using that same style of play, MD will not be equipt to handle it. This is coming from an anti-uk and anti-MD person :) I'm also a realist, and anything can happen...

Diamonds are foreverrrrrr!!! (Diamond DeShields).....Mercedes Russell....Tea Cooper....Jannah Tucker (fully healthy) ....that alone should give you some hope of what's to come next year!

South cack -a -lacky had a slight edge in talent and the glaring dif was PG play. Diamond can play PG or SG, the O should have a quicker pace next year. :hi:

VN Store

Back