Mullen: Imagine our Alex Smith/Tebow/Dak/Cam Newton

You know, for MSU being such a tough job, it doesn’t seem like Mullen is in too big of a rush to leave anytime soon.

Seems to me he enjoys getting raises & extensions for getting average results. That crap may work at a school like MSU but UT’s expectations are far more higher. Mullen has been there for 9 years now. I mean he’s had plenty of opportunities to leave for other jobs but declined. Maybe he realizes that he has it made at MSU and doesn’t want to go anywhere else where they demand higher expectations?

We’ve been through 5 years of mediocrity under Butch and I’d be damned if UT hires a coach who’s maybe two steps above better than what we had.

Let me ask you this Fade. Do you want to be National Title Contenders again or do you just want to win 8-9 games every year and go to meaningless Bowl Games?

1. He’s making $4.9mm at Miss State, living in Starkville, MS, and is beloved there for doing a great job at a crap job/SEC school, he has great job security. Why should he be overly ready to bolt from there? Would you?

2. It’s generally thought now by most everybody in the know that he’s ready to move on from Miss State, for greener pastures, for a program that gives him a better opportunity....Tennessee is undoubtedly a place that fits the bill.

3. 2 steps better than what we’ve had? I think Mullen is much better than that, and if Sgt Carter could post back to back 9-4 seasons and go to bowl games, isn’t it very likely that a guy like Mullen could post 10 and 11 win seasons and play in SECCGs in pretty short order? And if you play in say 3 of the next 6 or so SECCGs, aren’t you by definition pretty much in the national title hunt? Aren’t you likely 1 SECCG win away from the 4 team playoff??

Reactions: 1 person
Sorry, but didn't Cam Newton play at Auburn after his juco days? My sincere apologies if I'm mistaken...

Cam was recruited to Florida by Dan Mullen. He was there his freshman year. Got in trouble and kicked out of school for theft of a laptop or something.....

Went to JUCO and then Auburn paid him for pay for play and the rest is history.

Supposedly Cam and his father approached Mullen about pay for play at MSU. Mullen wanted no part and Cam went on to the highest bidder. Usually that's Bama but Auburn pulled it off.....

Last edited:
Should we talk about your fan boy in Gruden without Dungy's players. Not a very impressive resume.

Gruden was 38-26 .594 in Oakland with 2 Division titles in 4 years. That's impressive by anyone's standards with a functioning brain.

Then that means he really sucked in other years to bring his record down.

He had a winning record 3 out of his last 4 years with 2 Division titles in Tampa. Doubt that many of those players were Dungy's. You're falling further into the rabbit hole. Might wanna let this one go.

Last edited:
He had a winning record 3 out of his last 4 years in Tampa. Doubt that many of those players were Dungy's. You're falling further into the rabbit hole. Might wanna let this one go.

Oh I know, I'm just pointing out that he's not this GOAT some people are making him out to be.

You know, for MSU being such a tough job, it doesn’t seem like Mullen is in too big of a rush to leave anytime soon.

Seems to me he enjoys getting raises & extensions for getting average results. That crap may work at a school like MSU but UT’s expectations are far more higher. Mullen has been there for 9 years now. I mean he’s had plenty of opportunities to leave for other jobs but declined. Maybe he realizes that he has it made at MSU and doesn’t want to go anywhere else where they demand higher expectations?

We’ve been through 5 years of mediocrity under Butch and I’d be damned if UT hires a coach who’s maybe two steps above better than what we had.

Let me ask you this Fade. Do you want to be National Title Contenders again or do you just want to win 8-9 games every year and go to meaningless Bowl Games?

I'd say Mullen gives us as good a shot at titles as any of the other coaches available. I guess the problem is, that most of our fans are Gruden or bust. Winning wins support, so I'm not worried. Go ahead and be butt hurt over not getting Gruden.

You didn’t answer my question. You went on some tangent about Mullen wanting or not wanting to leave but never addressed my question. Go back to page one to find it, don’t feel like retyping it.

To paraphrase Bob Kesling's call of the Hail Mary to Jennings:

"Gruden to the Hill, now Mullen to the Hill.......What a turn of events!!"

VN Store

Back