MSU stays unbeaten with first-ever win in Knoxville

Since HW has only been head coach for 5 or so years of that decade, are you saying that Pat wasn't a real coach? She did lose to Ball State with our bench full of McDonald's AA's. Lol

In our immediate gratification and disposable world, if a person or a situition or a relationship disappoints in the least, then to hell with it. I would just expect our long-term fans to see the bigger picture. But like you said, arm chair, maybe I just need an eye doctor.

:pilot:

you speak of? You don't say? Immediate gratification? We haven't been to a Final Four in a decade. Last year was our worst season in the SEC, I think, ever! You're just making excuses for Warlick, who is a good person but somebody who should be coaching a team like Troy or Appalachian State, maybe, not Tennessee---and I don't think she'd last long at any school, frankly.

that she and Russell switched positions, and didn't really make any sense since Russell is not a natural PG. It did free Massengale to take threes--and she was our best three-point shooter. I think that was the reason for the move. You need threes to win these days--if you do not make a //minimum// of three treys, your chances of beating a good team are minimal. We had none yesterday. As a PG, Massengale was, in my view, fairly average. I don't recall her producing a lot of assists, but that's partly a result of our crap system. Beyond that, she was soft and not a very good defender. And we've not had much good PG play at UT in a long time. Our guard play overall has been pretty average, at best, for a LONG time. I was very excited when I saw Massengale as a freshman--thought she was the PG we'd needed for years--but I found her career a bit disappointing. But then I've found pretty much everything about our once-proud program disappointing over the last 10 years.

Ariel was good for about 5 assists a game. She has been the only player since Bobbitt who could consistently feed the post. She also was good at clock management, and knowing when to attack the basket and score or dish to an open player. She improvised a lot. With a more structured offense, she could have easily been averaging 8 or more assists per game. She was an excellent passer. Not a great defender, but Tennessee hasn't had a great perimeter defender since Hornbuckle and Bobbitt moved on.

I agree that it seemed she was moved to SG out of necessity because none of the other 5-star guard recruits could shoot. Even at SG, she still notched more assists than Jordan did.

Reactions: 2 people
you speak of? You don't say? Immediate gratification? We haven't been to a Final Four in a decade. Last year was our worst season in the SEC, I think, ever! You're just making excuses for Warlick, who is a good person but somebody who should be coaching a team like Troy or Appalachian State, maybe, not Tennessee---and I don't think she'd last long at any school, frankly.

Since HW has only been head coach for 5 or so years of that decade, are you saying that Pat wasn't a real coach? She did lose to Ball State with our bench full of McDonald's AA's. Lol

In our immediate gratification and disposable world, if a person or a situition or a relationship disappoints in the least, then to hell with it. I would just expect our long-term fans to see the bigger picture. But like you said, arm chair, maybe I just need an eye doctor.

:pilot:

I think armchair and CHATT are to easily pleased.
This is the University of Tennessee.
The only U to be in every top 25 list since it's inception until last year. . . The undisputed queen of women's basketball until UCONN got a little steam. . . The program that lifted women's sports into the new millennium. . .
The Lady Vols, dammit!

We are not spoiled, we have higher standards.

And if I get a chance,
we will have this group right back where it belongs.

"until UCONN got a little steam. "

A little steam? Better check out the record books.
544-36 for the century. I won't bother listing the rest of the records set and being set.

IMO the difference in the top teams isn't the talent, it's the culture and that starts with the coaching staff. Does anyone think that the Pat Summitt of 20 years ago would tolerate the type of play that we've seen from UT in the last couple of years?

And then they will say they should have won by 50 points.

If fans will look at MSU stats, they have been holding opponents, on average, to less than 60 points a game, causing approximately 17 turnovers a game and a shooting % of approximately 37%. Yes our shooting percentage and turnovers were not good, but we played against a very good defense. Too many people are trying to low rate MSU to make it sound as if we were playing against Mississippi State Junior College, however, Vic has his team playing very well. Not to piss off pro Holly fans but Vic has done a much better job with his talent then we have done with ours. On paper, MSU is playing way above its talent level, and to be blunt, we do not always play near, or at, our talent level. MSU believes in themselves and hustle 100% of the time. However, our girls played very well after the Baylor beating and we need to give them credit for that. The only exception was the Vandy game. The team needs to be given credit when credit is due.

Reactions: 1 person
544-36 included about 480 wins against cupcakes in their league.

Also, Vic hasn't had the injuries to his team that the Lady Vols have had. See what happens if he loses his point guard.

Also, Vic hasn't had the injuries to his team that the Lady Vols have had. See what happens if he loses his point guard.

Dominique Dillingham, who led the team in minutes per game last year, was playing her 2nd game back after missing most of December for knee surgery, and their third key guard in the rotation Roshunda Johnson missed the game with an ankle injury. 3rd string PG/SG Schaefer stepped up in their stead.

Izzy aside, all this injury talk is nothing more than excuses for not getting the job done with a roster full of HS AAs.

Reactions: 3 people

Not to belabor the point but at the end of this season UConn will have played 4 years in the AAC and including tournament games will have played 84 league games, of which about a dozen were against top 25 teams. The old Big East ended it's existence in 2013, when they had 3 of the 4 final four teams.

Dominique Dillingham, who led the team in minutes per game last year, was playing her 2nd game back after missing most of December for knee surgery, and their third key guard in the rotation Roshunda Johnson missed the game with an ankle injury. 3rd string PG/SG Schaefer stepped up in their stead.

Izzy aside, all this injury talk is nothing more than excuses for not getting the job done with a roster full of HS AAs.

100% agree and piss poor recruiting ( until this next class hopefully) has been a main culprit . Injuries happen just like they do in football. The head coach is where the buck stops!:banghead2:

Ariel Massengale could consistently run the offense, make post entry passes, and attack the defense to draw multiple defenders and kick it out to outside shooters. She was the best pure PG Tennessee has had in a decade, yet Holly decided to move her off the ball and play Jordan at PG.

Would've been an AA if she had decided to go to UConn, ND, Louisville or Stanford.

My point still stands true....bash me all you want.

You nega-Vols are never to be found when positive things happen. 6 game win streak for the Lady Vols, football team beating both UGA and UF, and other things like that but you come out of the woodworks when losses or negative things happen.

Yes, I care and yes I see these same things. The negas would bankrupt the university making coaching changes at the drop of a hat year in and year out.

You are the worst type of fan out there, TBH.

Not to belabor the point but at the end of this season UConn will have played 4 years in the AAC and including tournament games will have played 84 league games, of which about a dozen were against top 25 teams. The old Big East ended it's existence in 2013, when they had 3 of the 4 final four teams.

In the last eight final fours there have been 32 teams competing. Only one (South Carolina in 2015) represented the SEC. Sixteen of the thirty-two teams (exactly half) have been members of the old Big East (UConn 8, Notre Dame 5, Louisville 2, and Syracuse 1).

If fans will look at MSU stats, they have been holding opponents, on average, to less than 60 points a game, causing approximately 17 turnovers a game and a shooting % of approximately 37%. Yes our shooting percentage and turnovers were not good, but we played against a very good defense. Too many people are trying to low rate MSU to make it sound as if we were playing against Mississippi State Junior College, however, Vic has his team playing very well. Not to piss off pro Holly fans but Vic has done a much better job with his talent then we have done with ours. On paper, MSU is playing way above its talent level, and to be blunt, we do not always play near, or at, our talent level. MSU believes in themselves and hustle 100% of the time. However, our girls played very well after the Baylor beating and we need to give them credit for that. The only exception was the Vandy game. The team needs to be given credit when credit is due.

Not sure if I am misreading the tone of your post or what, but I am certainly aware they have played a LOT better since the Baylor beat down. My point was if we beat a team by 30 points someone will say we should have beat them by 50 points because some people are never satisfied.

I am NOT in the NegaVol crowd!

Reactions: 3 people
Not sure if I am misreading the tone of your post or what, but I am certainly aware they have played a LOT better since the Baylor beat down. My point was if we beat a team by 30 points someone will say we should have beat them by 50 points because some people are never satisfied.

I am NOT in the NegaVol crowd!

Sorry, I agree with you. Everything considered we fans search to find too many negative things. Like many of the posters, I agree we have issues on this team that have to be dealt with, however, I try to give the ladies credit when it is due. One thing we lack is on court leadership.

How many games have the Lady Vols won with Enterline and crew refereeing the game in the last 4 years?

I don't know what happened to him. He used to be a fairly good official but we don't get many breaks now when he is officiating. Someone must have stepped on him and its payback time.

And then they will say they should have won by 50 points.

Yep, and that bar will continue to be raised until it is not attainable. On a more positive note, those that I thought were definitely negavols did post some positive things during this past run so there is hope that they are not completely miserable. Some are never going to be satisfied. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out who they are because of their consistency.

In our immediate gratification and disposable world, if a person or a situition or a relationship disappoints in the least, then to hell with it. I would just expect our long-term fans to see the bigger picture. But like you said, arm chair, maybe I just need an eye doctor. :pilot:

No, you are spot on. In sports, it's just too easy to quit during tough times. It's just too easy to whine and complain when one does not get what they want especially with the empowerment that the internet provides. I originally thought it might be a generational thing but......

Some of us can't see the forest for the trees...
temperate_deciduous_forest_pic_2.jpg

Aside from the fact that your numbers are whack, UConn's SOS (Massey) averaged 1.4 over the last 10 years. They have played a lot of cupcakes, but that is more of a reflection on the miserable dearth of quality teams in WCBB.

As for injuries, I don't want to mess with the MOJO but I'm convinced that there is a reason why UConn has not had major injuries in the last few years.

VN Store

Back