MS announces 399.99 Xbox One sku with no Kinect!

I have both systems and I prefer the DS4 because 1.) The footprint of the DS4 is slightly wider than the X1 controller. My hands feel more cramped while holding the X1 controller. 2.) The analogue sticks are bigger. 3.) I feel that DS4 is a bit more innovative in it's design with the glide pad and controller speaker.

In regards to thumbstick placement, I don't understand what the big deal is to some about this. Whether it's offset or parallel, I can't detect any advantage of one over the other. I can put down the X1 controller and pick up the DS4 and not skip a beat.
I actually prefer the offset thumbsticks. I don't mind the PS4 thumb setup once I get used to it, though. But for me, the thumbstick position is the one thing I do like about the One controller.

I have both systems and I prefer the DS4 because 1.) The footprint of the DS4 is slightly wider than the X1 controller. My hands feel more cramped while holding the X1 controller. 2.) The analogue sticks are bigger. 3.) I feel that DS4 is a bit more innovative in it's design with the glide pad and controller speaker.

In regards to thumbstick placement, I don't understand what the big deal is to some about this. Whether it's offset or parallel, I can't detect any advantage of one over the other. I can put down the X1 controller and pick up the DS4 and not skip a beat.

DS4? Where can I get one of those?

My hands fit naturally better in the Xbox controller and the parallel sticks just don't feel comfortable to me. The touch pad and speaker does nothing for me really. I don't care about it, but I only use a controller for like 3 games currently and it's a different conversation completely.

I actually prefer the offset thumbsticks. I don't mind the PS4 thumb setup once I get used to it, though. But for me, the thumbstick position is the one thing I do like about the One controller.

I really like the rumble in the triggers on the One, especially in Forza.

I guess the good news is they are trying to fix everything, but the console has been out for six months at this point.

The problem is they can't fix that the PS4 is a more powerful console and easier to code for at this time (the fact the PS4 is the lead console on the new CoD game is all you need to know).

Still this is one of the things I was waiting for to get a X1. They really must of gotten their ass handed to them by Sony. I think the PS4 outselling the X1 in March was what did this. They looked at Titanfall as the thing that would turn the tide and it didn't.

My hands fit naturally better in the Xbox controller and the parallel sticks just don't feel comfortable to me. The touch pad and speaker does nothing for me really. I don't care about it, but I only use a controller for like 3 games currently and it's a different conversation completely.

I use to be the same way, but I forced myself to get use to the PS3 controller after I had another 360 red-ring. That said I found the X1 controller to be a step back from the 360 controller, and the DS4 to be the best controller Sony has ever done. Still in the end you can get use to and be good with either controller, so not a real issue to me.

Still this is one of the things I was waiting for to get a X1. They really must of gotten their ass handed to them by Sony. I think the PS4 outselling the X1 in March was what did this. They looked at Titanfall as the thing that would turn the tide and it didn't.

I'm not so sure the price drop will be enough to turn the tide to be honest. Maybe in the US but not globally. Outside of North America (and to a lesser extent the UK) nobody gives a **** about Xbox. With the price drop the X1 went from being the most expense, yet weaker console to being the equally priced, yet weaker console. Havig said that, MS absolutely needed to do this. The Kinect was a cancer that MS had to cut out in order to bring the sticker price down.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure the price drop will be enough to turn the tide to be honest. Maybe in the US but not globally. Outside of North America (and to a lesser extent the UK) nobody gives a **** about Xbox. With the price drop the X1 went from being the most expense, yet weaker console to being the equally priced, yet weaker console. Havig said that, MS absolutely needed to do this. The Kinect was a cancer that MS had to cut it out in order to bring the sticker price down.

Right now this generation is Sony's for the taking. In Japan they're probably going to win no matter what, as there no one buys the Xbox One (or the last 2 Xbox's much) and even the Wii U isn't selling and Japan usually supports Nintendo consoles a bit better than here in the US.

Right now this generation is Sony's for the taking. In Japan they're probably going to win no matter what, as there no one buys the Xbox One (or the last 2 Xbox's much) and even the Wii U isn't selling and Japan usually supports Nintendo consoles a bit better than here in the US.

You know what's nuts is that I kind of want a Wii U LOL! Mario Kart 8 looks amazing and if Nintendo announces a new Zelda and/or Metroid at E3 I might just trade my PS3 in towards one!

You know what's nuts is that I kind of want a Wii U LOL! Mario Kart 8 looks amazing and if Nintendo announces a new Zelda and/or Metroid at E3 I might just trade my PS3 in towards one!

I bought one back in the fall when they dropped the price by $50. So far I've had 3 games. Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros. U, and ZombiU. The Mario games are good as usual but I'm just kind of tired of the same Mario games every year. ZombiU is actually kind of cool. I haven't played that much of it and it got terrible reviews, but it at least uses the gamepad in a unique way.

Mario Kart 8 and the new Smash Bros. game really don't excite me much. But one thing that is cool is they've started adding Game Boy Advance games to the Wii U Virtual Console.

I bought one back in the fall when they dropped the price by $50. So far I've had 3 games. Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros. U, and ZombiU. The Mario games are good as usual but I'm just kind of tired of the same Mario games every year. ZombiU is actually kind of cool. I haven't played that much of it and it got terrible reviews, but it at least uses the gamepad in a unique way.

Mario Kart 8 and the new Smash Bros. game really don't excite me much. But one thing that is cool is they've started adding Game Boy Advance games to the Wii U Virtual Console.

Have you played Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze yet? I tried it out at Gamestop and had a blast with it. Also the Zelda Wind Waker HD looked really good!

I get that the Wii U would be a "supplemental" console but there's just something special about those Nintendo developed IP's. It's like someone else said, "I would never want my Wii U to be my only console, but I also wouldn't want to be without it."

Last edited:
I have now owened the PS4 (first) and now the X1...I was a 360 owner and loved it, but I'm not going to lie I miss my PS4. I think the 360 was better than the PS3 but the PS4 is better than the X1. Really disappointed I made the trade. I find that the X1 irritates me more than I get enjoyment out of it. I thought I would love all the "entertainment stuff" the X1 offered but I find it more annoying that anything. The having to sign in every time gets on my nerves. Why can't you let it automatically let you sign in? I thought it was cool that they let you play a game and watch tv at the same time...but there is no way to mute one or the other? I plan on buying the PS4 again when either the price drops some, or when/if they make a slim or something similar like they did with the ps3. Sorry for the rant lol.

Reactions: 1 person
I have now owened the PS4 (first) and now the X1...I was a 360 owner and loved it, but I'm not going to lie I miss my PS4. I think the 360 was better than the PS3 but the PS4 is better than the X1. Really disappointed I made the trade. I find that the X1 irritates me more than I get enjoyment out of it. I thought I would love all the "entertainment stuff" the X1 offered but I find it more annoying that anything. The having to sign in every time gets on my nerves. Why can't you let it automatically let you sign in? I thought it was cool that they let you play a game and watch tv at the same time...but there is no way to mute one or the other? I plan on buying the PS4 again when either the price drops some, or when/if they make a slim or something similar like they did with the ps3. Sorry for the rant lol.

I have both and I agree with everything you just said in regards to this current generation. The PS4 is just a BETTER console. To me the X1 feels like a console that was designed by committee. That there was no real vision when conceptualizing the arcitecture, the focus of what it's supposed to be, what it's supposed to do, nothing. It's truly a jack of all trades/master of none "Swiss Army Knife" black box of a console.

In contrast, the PS4 was the vision of Mark Cerny who worked very closely with developers (imagine that!) in designing the PS4. Sony has made no bones about the fact that the PS4 is a gaming console first and foremost and getting the best performance/cost ratio is what it was designed for from the very beginning and I think they did a teriffic job.

Even the graphics are better IMO on the ps4. I really regret selling my PS4 for the X1...I guess I'll just start saving and buy another ps4 and just have both lol.

Last edited:
Why is MS advertising the Kinect-less XB1 for $399 on my XB1 home screen? I'm not going to buy another XB1 "We listened and gave you what you wanted." Well why didn't you listen when people were saying this last summer?

All this is doing me is reminding me how stupid MS was. Bunch of dumbasses.

If only my friends I play online with weren't xbox fanboys.....

Have you played Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze yet? I tried it out at Gamestop and had a blast with it. Also the Zelda Wind Waker HD looked really good!

I get that the Wii U would be a "supplemental" console but there's just something special about those Nintendo developed IP's. It's like someone else said, "I would never want my Wii U to be my only console, but I also wouldn't want to be without it."

No, I sort of gave up on the Donkey Kong games after I played the Nintendo 64 game. I didn't care for either GameCube game that used those stupid bongo controllers.

I might pick it up when if I can find it for cheap some time later this year. I never played the Wii DK game either.

PS4 controller is now my second favorite controller of all time (behind GameCube). At first, it was the 360. I've owned both the X1 and PS4 and I definitely prefer the PS4 controller more. I love the texture they added to it. I don't know what it's called. Kinda looks like carbon fiber print maybe, but I love that. The triggers feel better and it's just an overall more comfortable controller to hold for long periods of time. Hated the PS3 controller. I do love the analog sticks on the X1 controller though.

PS4 controller is now my second favorite controller of all time (behind GameCube). At first, it was the 360. I've owned both the X1 and PS4 and I definitely prefer the PS4 controller more. I love the texture they added to it. I don't know what it's called. Kinda looks like carbon fiber print maybe, but I love that. The triggers feel better and it's just an overall more comfortable controller to hold for long periods of time. Hated the PS3 controller. I do love the analog sticks on the X1 controller though.

I probably wouldn't like it now, but for the time the Wavebird for the GameCube was awesome.

VN Store

Back