Movies you've seen recently II

The Last Starfighter - 8/10 It's cheesy and oh, so '80's but it was groundbreaking at the time. I have it on BluRay and I watched it with my TV's smooth motion settings on and it really took away from the CG affects. The rest of the movie looked like a Dr. Who episode.

The Last Starfighter - 8/10 It's cheesy and oh, so '80's but it was groundbreaking at the time. I have it on BluRay and I watched it with my TV's smooth motion settings on and it really took away from the CG affects. The rest of the movie looked like a Dr. Who episode.

Great movie.

The Wave...10/10 for gorgeous scenery and cinematography. 7/10 for everything else. It's in Norwegian, so unless you're a Viking, you'll be reading subtitles. It's also noteworthy because the story is a fictional account of something that will happen sooner or later. The Akeneset mountain is going to collapse into that fjord someday, and when it does the city of Geiranger, and every thing else in that valley is going to be annihilated.

The Purge 3: 5/10

Wasn't terrible, but far from great, much like the first two. I laughed as much as anything. Some of the writing and acting was notably bad in this one, but it still had enough entertaining parts to hold my attention throughout.

This is probably the last of these movies that I will see assuming they keep making them. I have a feeling the series is going to further descend into "Saw" and "Paranormal Activity" level bad.

"Get a Job"..9/10..Hilarious take on the entitled brat, everyone gets a medal for playing generation, getting a rude awakening when they have to get out in the real world and earn their way.

Fundamentals of Caring...Netflix original starring Paul Rudd. Very well done! Humorous without being preachy, and Selena Gomez is all growed up.

Over the past week I have went back and rewatched the entire Harry Potter franchise for only the 2nd time because I've just finished reading the entire book series for the first time and wanted to see how well they compared to the books.

One thing I thought while reading the books and now finishing up the series again was that the writers/directors stayed fairly close to the source material for the most part there were a few things that I thought from the start could have been done differently in the films. I thought the look of how Hogwarts was portrayed especially the castle grounds was way off compared to what is described in the books. Would also have liked to have seen the Hogwarts ghosts more in the films.

The books described a more picturesque location for the castle & grounds with green lawns, flowers & trees and a nicer looking lake than the damp, dark & rocky area we are given in the films.

I really enjoyed them all again however until I got to the Deathly Hallows Part 2 it really pissed me off. Almost the entire film is changed from how the events played out in the book and not for the better. IMO

I had problems with it the moment they step through the tunnel back into Hogwarts, Like nothing is said about getting the younger kids out of the castle (as described in the book) and then we see them running all over the castle as the battle is waged around them. However my biggest problems are in the final battle when Voldemort, the Death Eaters & Hagrid bring Harry back to the castle and he yells out that Harry is dead only Ginny shows any amount of remorse/anger. Nothing from Prof. McGonagall, Ron or Hermione!

Probably the thing that I despised the most after reading the book was in the final showdown between Harry & Voldemort. I thought the way it was described in the book was absolutely fantastic with them in the great hall surrounded by everyone and the incredible conversation going on between Harry & Voldemort as they stare each other down as everyone hears and finds out the truth about Dumbledore's death, Snape's true loyalties instead we got a typical Hollywood ending full of over the top explosions them flying all over the castle and in the end some weird closeups of Harry's face. Its such a shame what the ending could have been if they would have stuck closer to the events described in the book.

Its my opinion that the next time I watch the series, when they go through the tunnel with Neville in the last film I'll turn off my Blu-ray player and grab my copy of the Deathly Hallows book and pick up the story on page 571 the way it was intended.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone - 4/5
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - 4.5/5
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - 4/5
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - 4.5/5
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - 5/5
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - 4/5
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - 4/5
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 - 3.5/5

I watched Maze Runner 2..Scorch Trials..

Movie was ok but I give the .50 cal at the end 10/10 stars..made me have flashbacks.

Legend of Tarzan - 7/10
Better than I expected. Sam Jackson is always good for comic relief and Christoph Waltz is always good for a creepy villain. Beautiful scenery and the CGI animals weren't too distracting (save for one small scene).

VN Store

Back