Mount Rushmore of UT Football

The Majors hate is still brewing I see.

No Majors hate in this post.

You are right however....I am not a big fan :) I had no problem with him until I heard him on the radio last week. He just seemed bitter and refused to mention Fulmer by name.

I never saw him play, main reason he is not on the list. The stadium is named after the great Coach Neyland. CPF brought us the only National Championship most of us has ever saw at UT. Manning is the best QB we've had. Wilson played with the most heart and was probably the best leader I have seen. He was one heck of a player too.

No Majors hate in this post.

You are right however....I am not a big fan :) I had no problem with him until I heard him on the radio last week. He just seemed bitter and refused to mention Fulmer by name.

I never saw him play, main reason he is not on the list. The stadium is named after the great Coach Neyland. CPF brought us the only National Championship most of us has ever saw at UT. Manning is the best QB we've had. Wilson played with the most heart and was probably the best leader I have seen. He was one heck of a player too.

I was joking, but I haven't seen Fulmer refer to Kiffin yet. I bet he never does by name, unless he just falls on his face in classic fashion.

Gen. Neyland - The founding Father of a winning tradition on the Hill
Condredge Holloway - One of the best all around athletes to ever wear the O&W
Hacksaw Jim Reynolds - One brutal, mean, SOB
Reggie White - The Minister of defense of whom I had the pleasure to know in life.

Gen. Neyland - The founding Father of a winning tradition on the Hill
Condredge Holloway - One of the best all around athletes to ever wear the O&W
Hacksaw Jim Reynolds - One brutal, mean, SOB
Reggie White - The Minister of defense of whom I had the pleasure to know in life.

I was about to mention Hacksaw! He hated to lose.

I am really amazed some of these lists leave off Neyland. How in the heck does that happen?

Why???

Doug Atkins played 3 great years at Tennessee.

Doug Dickey turned a bad BAD T-formation retarded team into a powerhouse in 2 years. He even recruited so well that Bill Battle continued to field a stacked team long after Dickey left.
Plus without Dickey we wouldn't have the T on the helmet. We wouldn't run through the T. And we would have been stuck with Murray Warmath in the 60's.

He went to Florida...Doug Atkins doesnt show enough love to his alma mater to be considered one of the top 4. i like chris lows

I like John Ward as much as the next guy, but putting a broadcaster up on your Mt Rushmore would be pretty weak. Sort of like kicking a president off the real Mt. Rushmore and going with Henry David Thoreau or something.

Speaking of which, did anybody see who ESPN picked for the Buttsniffers? I assume they've got Herschel Walker, Larry Munson, Fran Tarkenton, and then Herschel Walker again?

CoachesAdmin1.jpg

I like John Ward as much as the next guy, but putting a broadcaster up on your Mt Rushmore would be pretty weak. Sort of like kicking a president off the real Mt. Rushmore and going with Henry David Thoreau or something.

Speaking of which, did anybody see who ESPN picked for the Buttsniffers? I assume they've got Herschel Walker, Larry Munson, Fran Tarkenton, and then Herschel Walker again?

I realize it's a stretch, but many have Doug Dickey as AD, and I would argue the point that John Ward is as much a part of UT football than any player that buckled a chin strap. If you asked most Vol fans about their UT football memories, I would imagine most would include the sounds of John Ward's famous broadcast calls.

JMO

I realize it's a stretch, but many have Doug Dickey as AD, and I would argue the point that John Ward is as much a part of UT football than any player that buckled a chin strap. If you asked most Vol fans about their UT football memories, I would imagine most would include the sounds of John Ward's famous broadcast calls.

JMO

Believe me, I know what you mean. I grew up in Knoxville in the 70s and 80s, so for many years John Ward's voice was synonymous with UT football for me. But keep in mind, the metaphor is Mount Rushmore. Putting an AD and a broadcaster up there is like a country building national monuments to a poet laureate and a composer of symphonies. That's what you do when you're Sweden, and Tennessee football ain't Sweden.

Believe me, I know what you mean. I grew up in Knoxville in the 70s and 80s, so for many years John Ward's voice was synonymous with UT football for me. But keep in mind, the metaphor is Mount Rushmore. Putting an AD and a broadcaster up there is like a country building national monuments to a poet laureate and a composer of symphonies. That's what you do when you're Sweden, and Tennessee football ain't Sweden.

I'm with you. Can we at least have a small plaque at the base of our Mt. Rushmore paying homage to Ward.

Peyton Manning's a thumbs up, but my goodness, why NOT Phillip Fulmer?!

You just cannot put Al Wilson ahead of either Reggie White or Doug Atkins, and I have trouble with White over Adkins if just college careers are the criteria. Al Wilson is one of my favorite all time Vols BTW.

Neyland is a default pick, anyone leaving him off doesn't know their Vol history very well. Dickey would have to come below Fulmer IMO as far as contributing to Vol program.

And why not Beattie Feathers? Hall of Famer, great NFL career, it's just no one on here was alive when he played.

So my four: Neyland, Feathers, Doug Atkins, Manning

Well, of course I could give you Jeremy Foley without even thinking about it.

I kinda meant at Tennessee.

I totally agree with you though on the basketball situation but i was basing my opinion completely from a football standpoint.

only if he had chosen to leave UT to coach at West Point. Even then I wouldn't put him in the same breath as Dickey

I'm only comparing them because they fit under the criteria of "coaches who aren't from Tennessee" .

I'm only comparing them because they fit under the criteria of "coaches who aren't from Tennessee" .

I can only think of 2 coaches that fit the criteria of born in TN.

Johnny Majors was born in Lynchburg, TN
Phil Fulmer was born in Winchester, TN

VN Store

Back