Most memorable Florida game?

2004 I was 12 years old and my dad happened to get tickets while we were at the UNLV game that year. We were looking for tickets and this guy was walking around with two Florida tickets at the UNLV game. We asked him how much and he said face value. Needless to say, we spent more money on the opening game tickets than the Florida ones.

That’s still the loudest I have heard Neyland when Wilhoit made that kick.

f34356facfe078d96516628511156217a12e1116_hq.jpg

The one Florida game that still really grinds my gears is the "alleged" catch by Jabar Gaffney from Rex Grossman to beat us. I'll leave it here so I'm not the only one still mad about it.

The one Florida game that still really grinds my gears is the "alleged" catch by Jabar Gaffney from Rex Grossman to beat us. I'll leave it here so I'm not the only one still mad about it.

Man, been a while since I've seen that. That looked worse today than back then. Not even close to a catch. I remember thinking that it was really weird that an official would even think of making a questionable call for the visiting team on a game winner. Just another in a long line of cursed UF games.

2016 was it for me. I woke up at 5am to do a 7 hour drive and scalp some tickets. I got there I knew my boy Dobbs could get us the W. The crowd was electrifying the players were pumped and I had a lot of libations in me. GBO

Reactions: McDad
The 2016 game for sure. I remember us being down and Derek Barnett taking over the game on defense. I remember Tabor lined up "bump and run" directly over Jennings and how flatfooted he was in his stance, and I remember telling the guy next to me, "That's a deep ball right there" and low and behold the memorable ankle break play happened. I remembered that no matter how down we were on the scoreboard, the crowd continue to cause a ruckus and caused the Florida offense to make a few penalties and mistakes. I was extremely proud to be a vol that day and I was proud to be around 102k of my fellow orange brothers and sisters fighting til the last minute to help and encourage our team to a win.

Last edited:
2016 for me. I literally sat and cried in my seat for 30 minutes or so after the game ended. I didn't know how to react to being so happy

You are not the only one still MAD about this one! I was in the stands that day!! Never been so aggravated in my life!!

2003 no doubt.

Been to 4 in my life, 2003 is my only time in the swamp and only time we've won with me present.

It was hotter than 2 40 hells that day! I was cussing Sanders for wasting time before the half then the Hail Mary happened and he was forgiven.

In a win, I would have to say 2001 was the most memorable. We were a 17 point underdog on the road and beat the #2 ranked team and it wasn't a fluke. Tennessee dominated the line of scrimmage and outplayed them.

In a loss, I would say 1995. That was such a strange game. It had the feeling that it was for the SEC Championship (Alabama was ineligible and not very good anyway, neither was Auburn or LSU. We had already beaten Georgia.) and the winner would play for the National Championship. We were ahead 30-14 late in the 2nd quarter and then the roof caved in. Fumbles, shanked punts and a missed fg... and to cap it off... it also rained like hell in the end.

The 1992 Monsoon in Neyland was both awful and Brilliant. So much water! I just remember Mose Phillips pretending to check his watch in the end zone after that long score. The perfect celebration. Any beat down of the gators makes for a good day.

Reactions: loosedog
1990 - my first Tennessee-Florida game sitting in section KK row 33, two rows beneath the ‘V’. Nigel Warrior’s father returned the second half kickoff to the south end zone and the route was on.

Maybe the worst call in the history of college football

That wasn't Grossman. It was Palmer.

Regardless, horrible call! But it didn't cost UT the game, per se. Not getting a 1st down on the previous drive is what cost UT the game. Also, letting them drive ALL the way down the field to get in that spot didn't help.

I've been to every Florida game at Neyland since 2000 and for me it is 2004, no question. I was in YY directly behind the goal posts. I absolutely went bats**t insane when Wilhoit nailed the FG; it was the first time I saw us beat Florida in person.

1990 45-3. We led 7-3 at the half. Then Dale Carter ran that kickoff back to begin the 2nd half and thus ensued a veritable monsoon of points...

1992 in the deluge and the Mose Phillip's screen pass for the long TD and his "What time is it?"pose in the end zone.

For me it was the Hurricane Andrew game 1992. I don't think I dried out from all that rain for two days. 2001 and 2004 was two more good ones.

98 no doubt. It would take a monster to beat this one. It was my first home game as a UT student (I'd seen several games previously, but my first game as an official student). That very day I bought a t-shirt at the bookstore that simply read "Tennessee Football" in orange and white. The rest is history. I still have that shirt and, on certain occasions, I wear it on Saturdays in September. I will have it on this Saturday.

Reactions: VolFan420
Well I’m 32 and we’ve only beaten them a handful of times since I started watching Tennessee sports religiously. 2016 was really special but nothing beats 98.

Reactions: Volfreak1964
The 2004 game was #1 for me... Just an awesome celebration as the clock hit :00

2003 in the brutal heat, the hail Mary at the end of the first half...

2016 was a spectacle with Checker Neyland. Broke the streak.

2015 was one of the most painful...4th and Valdosta... Grrrrrr!

1998 was awesome, but I was in school in Memphis, so I couldn't be there for the atmosphere. We had our own epic post-game, though.

1990 - my first Tennessee-Florida game sitting in section KK row 33, two rows beneath the ‘V’. Nigel Warrior’s father returned the second half kickoff to the south end zone and the route was on.
my 1st UF-UT game also. not as intense as the real close games described here but I was a young buck and always had J.Ward's pregame on. Went on a whim after turning down a few offer of tickets that week and got a scalped ticket for $20 down in south corner of end zone. I dang sure didn't drive home that night!!!!! 45-3 or close to that.

Reactions: Tennessee Waltz
98 no doubt. It would take a monster to beat this one. It was my first home game as a UT student (I'd seen several games previously, but my first game as an official student). That very day I bought a t-shirt at the bookstore that simply read "Tennessee Football" in orange and white. The rest is history. I still have that shirt and, on certain occasions, I wear it on Saturdays in September. I will have it on this Saturday.

This post is rather uncanny as it applies to my experience, even down to the t-shirt! The cotton of which that shirt is made is just a little thinner than sailcloth and still looks great! I was sitting in the field-level bleachers in the north end zone and was directly inline with Bryson’s touchdown run.

VN Store

Back