Most "Famous" SEC football players

This is an interesting perspective. I never thought about it before, either.

And you really have to look at players and coaches whose public life extended beyond football, so that non-football watchers could get to know them. Because, I mean, everyone in the football world would know tons of the players and coaches, anyway. To get real fame, you have to find the ones who all of America became familiar with.

And that small group fall into two tiers. The ones who just made commercials, that's the bigger group. And the ones who entered American consciousness in bigger ways than just commercials. That's the smaller, more elite group.

Joe Namath, Peyton Manning (not the whole Manning clan, mainly just Peyton--with Eli joining him once or twice on a commercial), and Tim Tebow definitely went beyond the football world in big ways. Joe got into film. Peyton was a guest star on TV shows. Tim was an icon for faith.

I can't off the top of my head think of any others. Sure, Phillip Fulmer, Tommy Tuberville and some other coaches had cameo appearances in The Blind Side (as themselves), but face it: most folks who watched that film were in the football fan crowd or were married to it.

Married: that is my personal litmus test for this question. Would my wife (who could care less about college football, except for my benefit she plays along sometimes like she cares), would she know who these people are?

She knows Peyton, mostly from the commercials and Saturday Night Live. She thinks he's a comedian, doesn't fully understand his massive contributions to the sport. She knows Tim Tebow and the "Tebow Kneel," mostly from her students at school (they went through a phase). And she knows about Joe Namath, of course.

She wouldn't know Steve Spurrier, Phillip Fulmer, Bo Jackson, or Hershel Walker, or any of the other folks on this list even if shown a photo. She might say, "Oh, haven't I seen him before?" because of some commercial or such, but that'd be all we'd get out of her. And yes, she watched The Blind Side with me, hehe.

Hmm, would she know anyone other than Joe, Peyton and Tim? Robert Neyland, but only the name and only because (a) I talk about him frequently, (b) we have Football as a War Game sitting on our coffee table, and (c) the stadium is named after him. So that doesn't really count as fame so much as osmosis from being near a football fan.

No, I think those three are it for the top tier. Not even Johnny Majors is famous outside the sporting community. Not Even Reggie White. Not even Eric Berry. Not even Bear Bryant. You have to be a football fan to know who they are.

Joe, Peyton, and Tim, you win.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Several on there didn't really "transcend the game" and distinguish themselves outside the realm of football, IMO. I doubt that most people who don't follow football could tell you who Emmitt Smith is, for instance. Someone like Bill Goldberg, who played at UGA and became a famous pro wrestler/actor, is probably more widely known. And having Aaron Hernandez on there is just gross.

My top three would probably be Peyton, Bo and Namath in no particular order.

I wouldn't even have Namath as a top 10 and Bear never played college ball or stood out as a college player. If you are going to list a coach then Woody Hayes punching player from other team is tops.

Manziel, Whitten, Oher, Aikmen, OJ, Seau, Bozworth all would have been better selections. Many for the wrong reasons though.

I wouldn't even have Namath as a top 10 and Bear never played college ball or stood out as a college player. If you are going to list a coach then Woody Hayes punching player from other team is tops.

Manziel, Whitten, Oher, Aikmen, OJ, Seau, Bozworth all would have been better selections. Many for the wrong reasons though.

Okay, so it's just a dumb article. But it was based on a specific premise that I think you lost sight of somewhere along the way. You might not be old enough to recall, but Namath was the Peyton of his day. He became very well-known outside of football due to his many commercial endorsements and television and movie appearances. And he actually played in the SEC, unlike many you mentioned. Namath was and remains much more famous than someone like Manziel.

Johnny Manziel probably should be on this list..

I had the same thought!

So I asked my wife, you know, kind of a litmus test.

"Hey, do you know who Johnny Manziel is?"

"Umm, no. Should I?"

"You know, Johnny Football?"

"Oh, yeah, I think so. Wasn't he a football player?"

So yeah...I mentally took him off the list after that. Heh.

I had the same thought!

So I asked my wife, you know, kind of a litmus test.

"Hey, do you know who Johnny Manziel is?"

"Umm, no. Should I?"

"You know, Johnny Football?"

"Oh, yeah, I think so. Wasn't he a football player?"

So yeah...I mentally took him off the list after that. Heh.
I wouldn't know him if he walked in and said hey.. 🤷‍♂️

I didn't look at the list before typing this. So, I'll give it a shot. This would be right now as I live and breathe. Twenty years from now the list will be different because there is always recency bias when you talk about popularity and fame.

1. Peyton Manning
2. Tim Tebow
3. Bo Jackson (Herschel was better, Bo, with the help of Nike, is more famous)
4. Joe Namath
5. Reggie White
6. Herschel Walker
7. Odell Beckham, Jr (would assume this is currently the most famous SEC player on a current roster)
8. Julio Jones
9. Archie Manning
10. Cam Newton

Reactions: 12 Monkeys
Hadn't really thought about things in terms of "fame" outside the realm of football before. Peyton and Reggie making the list here, would think Inky Johnson would be honorable mention at least.

10 most famous SEC football players -
Nobody outside of Knoxville knows who Inky is. Not unless your job or organization had him as an inspirational speaker.

I didn't look at the list before typing this. So, I'll give it a shot. This would be right now as I live and breathe. Twenty years from now the list will be different because there is always recency bias when you talk about popularity and fame.

1. Peyton Manning
2. Tim Tebow
3. Bo Jackson (Herschel was better, Bo, with the help of Nike, is more famous)
4. Joe Namath
5. Reggie White
6. Herschel Walker
7. Odell Beckham, Jr (would assume this is currently the most famous SEC player on a current roster)
8. Julio Jones
9. Archie Manning
10. Cam Newton

Cam, Odell, and Bo. Good names that I forgot about.

Truthfully, the premise for this article is, in my opinion, flawed for a number of reasons. Relative ranking on this list is predicated, in part, to a matter of pure exposure. Televised accessibility is infinitely greater today than it was even 40 years ago, so it can be argued that athletes achieve a greater level of fame or notoriety, as the case may be, than would have been possible in the past.

If this article was about “10 most famous players in the Big Ten,” most people probably would not include Red Grange. However, his decision, as a former All-American at Illinois, to play professional football instantly gave the NFL a degree of credibility that it had not possessed in the past. So, such a list without his inclusion, would be indefensible.

Call me a traditionalist, but reference to “most famous players” really should indicate fame achieved as a player, as opposed to fame achieved as a result of ancillary off-the-field accomplishments. Because of his sense of humor, unique broadcasting style, and appearance in movies, Bob Uecker definitely achieved a degree of fame, but nobody would construe his .200 batting average in the major leagues as noteworthy.

VN Store

Back