Monster Hunter World (PS4 and Xbox Jan. 26, PC Fall 2018)

I thinking it’s time to play my first Monster Hunter. My first Persona game turned out pretty damn well. I have faith in GBOs taste since they’re very similar to mine. I’ll have to pick it up soon.

I thinking it’s time to play my first Monster Hunter. My first Persona game turned out pretty damn well. I have faith in GBOs taste since they’re very similar to mine. I’ll have to pick it up soon.

Did you make it through Persona 5?

I’d say this has few similarities besides the Japanese cultural things and a cat as a teammate. This is an action JRPG more similar to Dark Souls/Bloodborne, but with less refined combat imo, or Dragon’s Dogma/Witcher 3.

Ive been watching this on mixer. Seems boring and repetitive.

1. Find Monster
2. Hit monster over and over with big stick
3. Run away to heal up
4. Keep hitting monster with big stick
5. Monster finally dies after being hit 1000 times with said stick
6. Find another monster to hit with a stick.

1. Find Monster
3. Run away to heal up

That’s the basic premise, but what game doesn’t do something similar?

PUBG/Fortnight
1. Stand on an island
2. Ride in a plane
3. Parachute to the ground
4. Open a door and look at the floor
5a. Find a weapon and move to #6
5b. don’t find a weapon and die, return to #1
6. Move inside circle
7. Move inside smaller circle
8. Die or kill in circle
9. Return to #1

Destiny

1. Go to planet and fight “random” events 100x
2. Turn in tokens for RNG weapon
3. Break weapon down for other items
4. Go to strike, fight boss at end, get a box and token
5. Go to raid, solve platform puzzle, fight monster, get box and tokens, turn in for RNG weapon, repeat step #3
6. Go to PVP and get token
7. Repeat steps #2 & #3

Call of Duty

1. Stand in headquarters or wait in lobby
2. Countdown and spawn
3. Go right, left, or center
4. Shoot or be shot
5. Repeat #2
6. Repeat until you or other guys have done #4 more than the other

That’s just the nature of most video games now lol

Reactions: 1 person
That’s the basic premise, but what game doesn’t do something similar?

PUBG/Fortnight
1. Stand on an island
2. Ride in a plane
3. Parachute to the ground
4. Open a door and look at the floor
5a. Find a weapon and move to #6
5b. don’t find a weapon and die, return to #1
6. Move inside circle
7. Move inside smaller circle
8. Die or kill in circle
9. Return to #1

Destiny

1. Go to planet and fight “random” events 100x
2. Turn in tokens for RNG weapon
3. Break weapon down for other items
4. Go to strike, fight boss at end, get a box and token
5. Go to raid, solve platform puzzle, fight monster, get box and tokens, turn in for RNG weapon, repeat step #3
6. Go to PVP and get token
7. Repeat steps #2 & #3

Call of Duty

1. Stand in headquarters or wait in lobby
2. Countdown and spawn
3. Go right, left, or center
4. Shoot or be shot
5. Repeat #2
6. Repeat until you or other guys have done #4 more than the other

That’s just the nature of most video games now lol

Yeah but you're competing against other people, not just chasing computer controlled bots around.

Yeah but you're competing against other people, not just chasing computer controlled bots around.

Yeah, but the problem isn’t repetition then, it’s lack of PvP. I play the hell out of PUBG, too. But sometimes I just want to go on a hunt for a big ass dinosaur lol

1. Find Monster
3. Run away to heal up

This reminds me of my dating life back in college

Reactions: 1 person
This is turning out to be as addictive as Monster Hunter Freedom Unite was in college for me. I just wish I had as much time to play this one.

Is this a game my wife and I could play together? We've been playing Destiny but its getting dull.

Also, are the mechanics of the game pretty easy to pick up on?

Is this a game my wife and I could play together? We've been playing Destiny but its getting dull.

Also, are the mechanics of the game pretty easy to pick up on?

It has up to 4 player hunts. Check out some YouTube videos to see if it appeals to your tastes. While this one is definitely the most accessible and successful one in the series, it’s still very niche and complicated if you don’t put in the necessary time to learn all of the mechanics. It’s easier once everything clicks, but it takes effort because it will not hold your hand after the tutorials end.

Got it. Pretty fun so far but don’t think I hit the difficulty wall yet. It’s just real neat being in an area hunting a monster and suddenly another huge monster pops out and chases you or even cooler, battles the other monster.

Got it. Pretty fun so far but don’t think I hit the difficulty wall yet. It’s just real neat being in an area hunting a monster and suddenly another huge monster pops out and chases you or even cooler, battles the other monster.

The first wall for me in this one was the 6 or 7 star Anjanath (T-Rex). After that, you MUST gear up for the hunt, eat, pop potions, use the appropriate armor and weapon for the monster and their element. I’m at Hunter Rank 14 fighting Elder Dragons that can one shot me, so I’m working on some other monsters to get the right gear to tank the Elder’s roars, stun attacks, etc. It’s all very meta in the late game, so be prepared for putting together a list of monsters you’ll need to hunt, the parts you need to target for your upcoming armor and weapons, etc. This is going to take me forever to get to HR 100, but I’m constantly motivated and rewarded in these games, so it doesn’t feel like an arbitrary grind as much. I’m glad you’re enjoying it. I assume you got it on PS4?

The first wall for me in this one was the 6 or 7 star Anjanath (T-Rex). After that, you MUST gear up for the hunt, eat, pop potions, use the appropriate armor and weapon for the monster and their element. I’m at Hunter Rank 14 fighting Elder Dragons that can one shot me, so I’m working on some other monsters to get the right gear to tank the Elder’s roars, stun attacks, etc. It’s all very meta in the late game, so be prepared for putting together a list of monsters you’ll need to hunt, the parts you need to target for your upcoming armor and weapons, etc. This is going to take me forever to get to HR 100, but I’m constantly motivated and rewarded in these games, so it doesn’t feel like an arbitrary grind as much. I’m glad you’re enjoying it. I assume you got it on PS4?

Yeah PS4. And actually about Persona 5 I haven’t finished it yet. I’ve just played in small time frames the past couple months. Enjoying it little by little. I’m pretty close to the end though. Gonna be sad when it ends.

Yeah PS4. And actually about Persona 5 I haven’t finished it yet. I’ve just played in small time frames the past couple months. Enjoying it little by little. I’m pretty close to the end though. Gonna be sad when it ends.

You’ll need to check out 3 & 4 on Vita/PSTV or PS3 when you get a chance.

Yeah I'm intrigued by them. I wish they'd just release them for Ps4 but seems worth getting a Vita for.

You can probably get a used Vita cheap now.

Back to MHW though - I’m fighting the final boss now. Got a badass armor set now that allows me to ignore monster roars and a sword that hits like a truck.

VN Store

Back