Mitchell and Ky tactics.

This all may sound like sour grapes but it would be great if CHW would or could take them off the schedule like CPS did Geno unless the conference or ncaa officials demand that Matthew (Alfalfa) Mitchell and co clean up their game.
Take every team that beats us off the schedule. That will be good for our reputation.:loco:

I think it was a mistake for Pat to drop Uconn off the play list, particularly when the NCAA didn't think there were any problems. She should have dropped the cause and moved on, particularly when she refused to elaborate on what her complaints were. Part of being a fan is sparring with the fans of our competitors. This issue gave them ammo that's hard to refute. The Sum it up book just opened up the wound again and is making Tennessee look bad.

Reactions: 1 person
Mitchell's little run he's had going the last couple of years is over, Mathis is gone, it seems like she's been there for 6 or 7 years, UT's got the number 1 player in the country coming in and next year he'll be UT's b##ch as usual

There's really no comparison to any other loss this season. Baylor, Stanford and Notre Dame beat Tn with superior talent, size or both. Missouri beat them with outstanding shooting and hustle. No excuses made for any of those losses. Mitchell and ky can only beat you by 40 minutes of brawling and assault. It's like ugly rec league bb

IMO Matthew Mitchell should be called out for the tactics he employs and encourages on the basketball court that have led to his teams so called success. Ky has a very talented group of players as evidenced by Adia Mathis and others but he had chosen to push to the extremes of a really unethical style of play to achieve his goals. It was obvious from the start on Sunday that his intention was to win in any way possible. Playing physical in your face, hard nosed defense is always admirable but I witnessed something totally different in Sunday's game. The tactic of running in multiple subs and hacking, holding and fouling for 40 minutes not only illegitimatimizes the game of basketball but does a disservice to both teams. I mean give me a break his backup point guard even fouled out! The same thing happened in Lexington last season. This all may sound like sour grapes but it would be great if CHW would or could take them off the schedule like CPS did Geno unless the conference or ncaa officials demand that Matthew (Alfalfa) Mitchell and co clean up their game.

You are absolutely right. We had too many turnovers, but many of them were as a result of our players being mugged and those blind mice with the striped shirts just stood there watching.

We need to give what we get. The SEC office is as pathetic as those refs for allowing it to continue to happen. Ky gets away with it away and home, but it is actually dangerous to go to Ky. They make a joke of the game of basketball.

Mitchell's little run he's had going the last couple of years is over, Mathis is gone, it seems like she's been there for 6 or 7 years, UT's got the number 1 player in the country coming in and next year he'll be UT's b##ch as usual

It'll be interesting to see who he can get to play for the Lady Wildcats in the future. I find it hard to believe that anyone would let their daughter play on his team, especially if she was being recruited by teams just a good or even better.

Last edited:
There's really no comparison to any other loss this season. Baylor, Stanford and Notre Dame beat Tn with superior talent, size or both. Missouri beat them with outstanding shooting and hustle. No excuses made for any of those losses. Mitchell and ky can only beat you by 40 minutes of brawling and assault. It's like ugly rec league bb

This is kind of an extension of what UConn used to do. They would run a lot of moving screens because refs don't call a lot of those and you could get a huge advantage that way. Vandy does that too.

KY is the first team I have seen take it to this extent... where they just claw, grab and reach in multiple times on every play. They kind of dare the refs to call a bunch of fouls because refs like to even out the fouls on both teams... so if you can foul more and harder you get a huge advantage. The other advantage to this style is that you don't have to have the best talent. You can run players in and out if they get too many fouls and it doesn't make as much difference. If the other team loses a player then it is a much bigger deal.

I had thought Mitchell might have been a good replacement for Pat but I think we dodged a bullet there. We want to win but not that way. It would have been kind of insulting to replace Pat, who was such a stickler for the rules, with someone whose entire philosophy is predicated on breaking them.

This is kind of an extension of what UConn used to do. They would run a lot of moving screens because refs don't call a lot of those and you could get a huge advantage that way. Vandy does that too.

KY is the first team I have seen take it to this extent... where they just claw, grab and reach in multiple times on every play. They kind of dare the refs to call a bunch of fouls because refs like to even out the fouls on both teams... so if you can foul more and harder you get a huge advantage. The other advantage to this style is that you don't have to have the best talent. You can run players in and out if they get too many fouls and it doesn't make as much difference. If the other team loses a player then it is a much bigger deal.

I had thought Mitchell might have been a good replacement for Pat but I think we dodged a bullet there. We want to win but not that way. It would have been kind of insulting to replace Pat, who was such a stickler for the rules, with someone whose entire philosophy is predicated on breaking them.

bull****. You wouldnt give a **** if UT played the same way and won because of it.

Uk plays an up-tempo defense that is based around playing 40 mins of in-your-face defense. They're not the first team to do it. And you can't blame the players for the refs not calling it imo.

I dont like how they play, it does make the game boring sometimes.

Little Cat, you are correct, Kentucky is only doing what the refs allow them to do. This happened last year at Kentucky and when they came to Knoxville, they heard a lot more
whistle and got the loss they deserved for that type of play.

bull****. You wouldnt give a **** if UT played the same way and won because of it.

Uk plays an up-tempo defense that is based around playing 40 mins of in-your-face defense. They're not the first team to do it. And you can't blame the players for the refs not calling it imo.

I blame the coach for creating a system predicated on trying to gain an advantage by skirting the rules. There may be another coach somewhere who does something similar but I have never seen it. Who would you say does the same thing to the same extent? Because if this sort of thing becomes common practice we might as well just issue clubs at the start of the game.

And yeah, the refs will clean it up in the NCAA tournament. That is why KY never gets very far. They run into better refs and their advantage disappears. But in the meantime the integrity of the game suffers and we are treated to spectacles like we just saw.

There is no shame in losing. I had this game down as a loss given how beat up we were, and how little there was to play for, so the net effect isn't really all that much. It is just hard to see a team get something it didn't earn.

We just have to play their game up their and match their intensity which we didn't do. They play tremendous ball at home and get away with a lot more hacks but it is up to our team to adjust. We just couldn't get up for the game we already had the title and never could get mentally into the game. We threw enough weak ugly passes to lose two games. When you play kentucky you have to be aggressive we were not and always waited to get double teamed before deciding to pass.

Kentucky also plays under the theory that no way the Ref can call all the fouls they commit so it they can get a few extra possessions out of it why not do it. We did go to the foul line a lot but we could have went a lot more.

Reminds me of the complaining you used to hear about Nolan Richardson's 40 Minutes of Hell.

Women's basketball has always been known for rough and ragged play. And we have played that way as well from time to time. Glory was known her her rough and aggressive style!

As for Mitchell, if we couldn't have had Holly, he would be my second choice for HC of the Lady Vols. He coached here, under Pat and he was recommended to Kentucky by Pat.
Big stretch to associate Glory Johnson with that type of play. While its true that she's very tough, she is also faster and more athletic than most. She absorbed much more than she dished out. Every time she would rebound she would have multiple players hanging from her arms and would just be getting hammered with no call made. The second she became aggresive in an attempt to clear the ball, idiot refs were whistling her and running for the monitor to check for an evil elbow.
I loved watching that girl play. Just a quality student athlete

Yeah, if you were to look at our girls arms after the games you can see all of the bruises and scratch marks. I am surprised more of them don't wear sleeves. I think they have those now for just the forearms so you don't have to wear a long sleeve shirt that might restrict movement.

This. No excuses for the losses to Baylor, Stanford, Notre Dame, or even Missouri and Chattanooga. We simply got beat by teams that were better than us on those days. I give them all the credit and will make absolutely no excuses for those losses. However, the loss to UK is a completely different story.

I would and that's why I didn't want Mitchell anywhere near the LV program again.

I can blame the players for continually using those tactics. Basketball is still a non contact sport in the books. Some coaches don't teach it that way.

:hi:

Little Cat, you are correct, Kentucky is only doing what the refs allow them to do. This happened last year at Kentucky and when they came to Knoxville, they heard a lot more
whistle and got the loss they deserved for that type of play.

Different refs call differently. Not much to say. I don't watch every single UK hoops game so I don't remember anything about those games.

The LVs would never stoop this low for a win.

In no way is it "low" to play hard. I hate up-tempo defense as much as anyone.

Every team (including LVs) have had times in game when a player has knowingly done something to gain an advantage over the opponent. It happens in every sport.

[/QUOTE] In no way is it "low" to play hard. I hate up-tempo defense as much as anyone.

Every team (including LVs) have had times in game when a player has knowingly done something to gain an advantage over the opponent. It happens in every sport.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't referring to playing hard. It is good to play hard. The LVs play hard all of the time. It's exciting to watch two teams playing hard. What I was referring to was all of the scratching and hacking that KY does. They mug the players on the other teams.

VN Store

Back