Missouri Athletics Vs. Academics?

volswin08

"A Real Vol Fan"
Is the situation with the Tiger football program as messy as it first appears? Personal point of view, what happened with the protest has real potential to be a game changer not just for Mizzou, but for the NCAA in total. What do others see?

It is already having an impact. I work for an NCAA school (virginia tech) and this morning we had a mandatory departmental faculty meeting and discussed compliance and diversity. The actions there caused our department to appoint a diversity chairperson to monitor these things. Times are a changing.

Big time college football will be spun off from their host universities.

Maybe not in the next couple of years, but sooner than you might think.

The academic side will be for it as it will reduce risk to their power, the athletic side will be for it as it will reduce risk to their finances.

The lesser sports that have enjoyed budgets and facilities not commensurate with their popularity have a reckoning coming.

The academic side will be for it as it will reduce risk to their power, the athletic side will be for it as it will reduce risk to their finances.

The lesser sports that have enjoyed budgets and facilities not commensurate with their popularity have a reckoning coming.

I agree 100%. It's going to happen.

People have now figured out, that if you use protest to shut down sports at universities just how mush it can affect. The school itself , local $$ , TV $$. Fans. Could be it grows from here.

I have said this for a couple of years now. College level football is slowly becoming a liability to the institutions of learning. Wait until the concussion lawsuits start next year. This level of football is headed for the farm leagues.

These kids will then realize just how well they had in the college system. They have not been, are not now, and never will be the victims.

Reactions: 2 people
I have said this for a couple of years now. College level football is slowly becoming a liability to the institutions of learning. Wait until the concussion lawsuits start next year. This level of football is headed for the farm leagues.

These kids will then realize just how well they had in the college system. They have not been, are not now, and never will be the victims.

I'm not sure how well a farm league would hold up once concussion lawsuits start.

I'm not sure how well a farm league would hold up once concussion lawsuits start.

I think as a separate entity 'college football' would have more ability to maneuver in an unfettered fashion to address that issue. Doesn't mean it won't be potentially disruptive, though.

If you do spin off college football programs, do you follow a 'Jerry Jones' model and have the biggest booster take it over? Or follow a 'Green Bay' model and make it a community corporation?

It is already having an impact. I work for an NCAA school (virginia tech) and this morning we had a mandatory departmental faculty meeting and discussed compliance and diversity. The actions there caused our department to appoint a diversity chairperson to monitor these things. Times are a changing.

More diverse football & basketball roster?

I think as a separate entity 'college football' would have more ability to maneuver in an unfettered fashion to address that issue. Doesn't mean it won't be potentially disruptive, though.

If you do spin off college football programs, do you follow a 'Jerry Jones' model and have the biggest booster take it over? Or follow a 'Green Bay' model and make it a community corporation?

I could see something like the MLB model except college teams as the minor leagues. NFL teams contract with power 5 schools as a feeder system.

Anyone read Clay Travis?

Not really, especially since he'd been so prone to jumping on or posting speculation for whatever got his articles more reads (and pre-Fox Sports, a few times picking up other site's/blog's work as though he did/found it)

... plus a lot of times he likes to further skew information he's presents to make it appeal better towards what his targeted sports fans audiences would like more (for example, compared the overall revenue of an entire 14 team conference TV network to a single team's TV deal - declaring "victory" for the former - rather than actually looking at how much money each team in that conference individually got from that network and comparing it to what the single team actually received....and just things that SEC network was going to bring in $300 or $500 million yearly).

But a ton here would just call him James Franklin's secret lover or fan club leader while the latter was at Vanderbilt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I could see something like the MLB model except college teams as the minor leagues. NFL teams contract with power 5 schools as a feeder system.

Except then the NFL would have to be paying to help meet those concussion lawsuits, along with the ones it would be involved in (/ directed at the NFL) at the same time.

Now it's having an impact on their recruiting

Edit: don't know why the link wouldn't post but there's a short blurb on 247

Last edited:
Yeah it's had an impact, it's provided a lot insight into the lunacy that is the "Left" in US politics and what lengths they will go to get their way and everyone else be damned. Soon, they will be protesting each other.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back