Missed call during TN vs MO

FARGO

Did anyone else notice that with about 4:45 left in the 4th qtr when MO had the ball and had 2nd and 5, the qb bobbled the snap and knelt on one knee when he picked up the ball? He was obviously down at that point and the play should have been blown dead but apparently the refs missed it along with all of the VOL coaches and players and the announcers. So instead of being 3rd and 10 the qb ran for 3 yards and it was 3rd and 2 and they got the first down on the next play. I know it had no effect in the final score or outcome of the game, but I really don't see how everyone missed that.

I noticed that, as well. Thought he should've been ruled down.

Here's is Gray's TD just before halftime. Could 64 have been called for block in the back or is there a special rule around the LOS?...or was he turning from another defender and that's just part of it? It's at the 0:49 mark in the 2nd qtr.

Saw it too.

I also saw on Mizzou's TD drive when they were around midfield a receiver run onto the field from the sideline after they had lined up. He stopped and set up about 5 or 6 yards from the sideline. That was a substitution and the officials should have kept Mizzou from snapping the ball until Tenn had a chance to substitute if they wanted to. Instead Mizzou was allowed to snap the ball and completed a pass on the play

Here's is Gray's TD just before halftime. Could 64 have been called for block in the back or is there a special rule around the LOS?...or was he turning from another defender and that's just part of it? It's at the 0:49 mark in the 2nd qtr.

Yes, I noticed that too during the game. I think since the defender turned his back to the blocker at the last second, is why it wasn't called. Probably a judgement call. On second look, he didn't turn his back at the last second. Either it was legal or they just missed it. It all evened out in the wash I guess. lol

Last edited:
Saw it too.

I also saw on Mizzou's TD drive when they were around midfield a receiver run onto the field from the sideline after they had lined up. He stopped and set up about 5 or 6 yards from the sideline. That was a substitution and the officials should have kept Mizzou from snapping the ball until Tenn had a chance to substitute if they wanted to. Instead Mizzou was allowed to snap the ball and completed a pass on the play

If it was the same play the ref ran up to the ball and stood over it when the Mizzou player ran on the field and Mizzou barely got the snap off.

Edit: The play I referred to was in the 4th qtr near the end of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: CPA
If it was the same play the ref ran up to the ball and stood over it when the Mizzou player ran on the field and Mizzou barely got the snap off.

He and the ref would both argue that he was back up off of the ground prior to picking up the football. Sort of a bang bang play but were I Mo., i would argue that his knee was off the group before he gained control or completely picked it up.

He and the ref would both argue that he was back up off of the ground prior to picking up the football. Sort of a bang bang play but were I Mo., i would argue that his knee was off the group before he gained control or completely picked it up.

Looking at the play frame by frame, it appears to me he had both hands were firmly on the ball BEFORE his left knee was off the ground.
At minimum, there should have been a replay booth action on this play..

It seemed to me there were at least 2 times a Mizzou defender seemed to jump on the pile after a tackle of one of our ball carriers.

Reactions: FïreBall

I rewound that play in celebration and then saw the block in the back and couldn't believe it wasn't called. We get lucky sometimes too! Not that I agree, but I'm pretty sure it's usually called whether there is intent or not.

I rewound that play in celebration and then saw the block in the back and couldn't believe it wasn't called. We get lucky sometimes too! Not that I agree, but I'm pretty sure it's usually called whether there is intent or not.

That's exactly what I did. I rewound it and saw it.

Is there not a distance at the line of scrimmage where you can't be flagged for a block in the back ? Not talking about a crack back block.

Reactions: Boca Vol

I just watched the replay. It was the 4th and 1 play with like 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. You can see #6 as the wideout at the top of the screen and then just before the snap a new set of legs appears at the very top edge of the screen. There's also no way he was set for a second before the snap.

Yes, I noticed that too during the game. I think since the defender turned his back to the blocker at the last second, is why it wasn't called. Probably a judgement call. On second look, he didn't turn his back at the last second. Either it was legal or they just missed it. It all evened out in the wash I guess. lol
At one time if the block in the back was 3 yards from LOS it was legal. Not sure if the rule has changed or if it applies on this play.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Did anyone else notice that with about 4:45 left in the 4th qtr when MO had the ball and had 2nd and 5, the qb bobbled the snap and knelt on one knee when he picked up the ball? He was obviously down at that point and the play should have been blown dead but apparently the refs missed it along with all of the VOL coaches and players and the announcers. So instead of being 3rd and 10 the qb ran for 3 yards and it was 3rd and 2 and they got the first down on the next play. I know it had no effect in the final score or outcome of the game, but I really don't see how everyone missed that.
By that time, the way the game was going, I felt like this.
03021E3A-10BD-45D4-BAED-3FDF3333AB8E.gif

Reactions: FLVOL_79

I caught it during the play. I rewound to see how the refs could have missed it. I'm still not sure how they missed it.

We'll never get a gift like that in Tuscaloosa.

Anyone know what was the game time when Cade flatted the guy then “Splashed” him? Want to see on replay.

I caught it during the play. I rewound to see how the refs could have missed it. I'm still not sure how they missed it.

We'll never get a gift like that in Tuscaloosa.

It always cracks me up when Bama football fans and UK basketball fans complain about officiating.

I just watched the replay. It was the 4th and 1 play with like 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. You can see #6 as the wideout at the top of the screen and then just before the snap a new set of legs appears at the very top edge of the screen. There's also no way he was set for a second before the snap.

The only thing I can think of with that is he was off the LOS and in motion, which is allowed.

VN Store

Back