Milton named starter

Man, I hate that we have tipped our hand so early. Clearly we’re going to throw the ball over the defense…way over the defense…

Reactions: Boltvol
Milton is one of the most physically gifted QBs I have ever seen, he is legitimately built like Cam Newton. But he is easily one of the rawest QBs I've recently seen, too. Both can be true. I read in this thread earlier that while Milton has a higher ceiling, Hooker has the higher floor, and I'm curious to see if I'm the only one who is conflicted between trying to work to develop Milton or play Hooker who might give us a better chance to win immediately. Does QB really matter right now given where we are as a program?

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
200.gif
21b86681-2631-42eb-9f17-cab67ef6f6c3_100_h_6.gif

Coaches office should come over and read VN on mondays to see who they should start!But then again there is no agreement over here either!Alferd C. Newman.jpg

CJH said today that he won’t know Milton’s status until Wednesday or Thursday. The same depth chart is released each week. This is a nothing burger.
Cooper Mays and Bumphus and Tyler Baron and Byron young are on the depth chart.

I saw where CJH said ... 'on Tuesday or Wednesday they would determine if Joe can PLAY.' That does not sound like he is your starter ... regardless of the contents of the meaningless 'Depth Chart.'
Fact that he didn’t even PRACTICE Monday bodes well.

Reactions: KptVFL
Hooker doesn't go into Swamp and win. We are a 5-6 win team with him at QB1 at best. If Milton gets right, we can win 8-9 game.
CJH is playing the long game, too. Hooker just has this year. Hopefully light comes on for Milton sooner than later.
I've got news for you. It's gonna be pretty much impossible to win this game no matter who the QB is. Our weakest link is at the QB position followed closely by the OL. I'm holding out for a miracle :cool::cool:

Milton is one of the most physically gifted QBs I have ever seen, he is legitimately built like Cam Newton. But he is easily one of the rawest QBs I've recently seen, too. Both can be true. I read in this thread earlier that while Milton has a higher ceiling, Hooker has the higher floor, and I'm curious to see if I'm the only one who is conflicted between trying to work to develop Milton or play Hooker who might give us a better chance to win immediately. Does QB really matter right now given where we are as a program?

• Milton isn’t going to suddenly get it on the road at Florida.
• Live reps against quality competition only make you better.
• His inaccuracy will hurt the Vols and overall lack of internal clock.
• He has to know when it is time to run. No more hesitation. Go through your reads and if it’s not there take off.
• BALL SECURITY
• It’s simply the wrong decision when CJH has two options at QB.

•• With that being said this team isn’t close to being able to win on the road.

Reactions: BeardedVol
I've got news for you. It's gonna be pretty much impossible to win this game no matter who the QB is. Our weakest link is at the QB position followed closely by the OL. I'm holding out for a miracle :cool::cool:

No consistent push up front on either lines
No consistent offense
Turnovers
Penalties
Missed catch after missed catch

They’re a long way from winning on the road

Reactions: kcvols1
If this is true, then CJH = Dooley
Nope. Stop being such a drama queen.

FWIW, the depth chart doesn't mean very much. If someone had an inside view and could let us know who is going out first with the ones and who is getting the most reps with the ones... then we would know who is going to start.

Reactions: KptVFL
True, but doesn't it feel like there is better flow when he is back there over Milton
Yes for the most part. That would change completely if Milton started hitting some of those deep shots though. That's "his game". If he can't hit them then he really needs to be #3. The other stuff he does isn't good enough to win without the deep ball.

IMO, if not Milton then Hooker should play and keep the seat warm for Jackson, the '23 signee, and whoever shows up in the portal. That's nothing against Bailey... I just don't see much if any advantage of him over Hooker. Experience favors Hooker. Hooker helps the run game. Nothing really changes for Bailey either way. Either he stays and competes next year or he leaves. I don't think playing would necessarily assure he stays.

• Milton isn’t going to suddenly get it on the road at Florida.
• Live reps against quality competition only make you better.
• His inaccuracy will hurt the Vols and overall lack of internal clock.
• He has to know when it is time to run. No more hesitation. Go through your reads and if it’s not there take off.
• BALL SECURITY
• It’s simply the wrong decision when CJH has two options at QB.

•• With that being said this team isn’t close to being able to win on the road.

you said it, so they should basically start and develop whoever they think has the most upside

Reactions: pimo1
I guess my point is, ne
Over throwing the receiver by 10+ yards is not my definition of putting it on the money. He has overthrown an open WR more than they have dropped it. Now our WR have to catch it no doubt, but he also can’t over throw them by 10 yards and expect them to catch it either!
Maybe?
The only throw I remember being really bad was the one over the middle against Pitt. I’m not going to come down too hard on a guy that overthrows a 60 yard bomb.
With that said, I don’t have a ton of confidence in any of our QB’s right now, so please don’t mistake me for a Milton apologist. That could change and by the end of the season we could have a playmaker taking snaps, but as of now, I don’t like the thought of any of them playing in the swamp this weekend.
GBO!!

VN Store

Back