Millennials in the Workforce, A Generation of Weakness - Simon Sinek

Most ill-prepared and weakest generation conceivable.
I’m a millennial (23 year old) have had a job since I was 16. Started vocational school for industrial maintenance when I was a junior in high school and graduated when I was 19. Worked a full time job after high school graduation while also going to vocational school. Graduated vocational school and have continued working. Dad got sick when I was 10 and passed when I was 19, and mom is an elementary school teacher. Zero student loan debt, and making near 6 figures. Currently engaged and got a house last year ($125,000-small subdivision house), put 20% down on it and have it almost halfway paid off right now (roughly 47.5%). Also put 10% in my Roth. I’m a dumb millennial.

I’m a millennial (23 year old) have had a job since I was 16. Started vocational school for industrial maintenance when I was a junior in high school and graduated when I was 19. Worked a full time job after high school graduation while also going to vocational school. Graduated vocational school and have continued working. Dad got sick when I was 10 and passed when I was 19, and mom is an elementary school teacher. Zero student loan debt, and making near 6 figures. Currently engaged and got a house last year ($125,000-small subdivision house), put 20% down on it and have it almost halfway paid off right now (roughly 47.5%). Also put 10% in my Roth. I’m a dumb millennial.

Good for you, understand you are in rarefied air for your generation. Extremely rarefied. Hell, you in rarefied air of the general population. Good for you, not being facetious. You shouldn't take it personal because the majority of your peers are pathetic. Keep saving, spend thriftly, retire as early as you can.

Reactions: Grudenator
Good for you, understand you are in rarefied air for your generation. Extremely rarefied. Hell, you in rarefied air of the general population. Good for you, not being facetious. You shouldn't take it personal because the majority of your peers are pathetic. Keep saving, spend thriftly, retire as early as you can.
Thank you sir. My grandpa gave me the Dave Ramsey Books when I was 16 and that made the biggest difference. Since, I’ve read numerous other financial books and honestly am fascinated by it. My goal is to retire as early as I can. I’ve convinced several of my friends to do the same, but still have some that think new shiny diesel trucks and putting everything on a credit card is okay because you look “cool”.

It is the same **** that has gone on for probably hundreds of years. "The younger generation is entitled, doesn't do this, we had it so much harder.." Then when they get older and they get Medicare and SS, who is going to pay for it? The same people they complained about.

It is the same **** that has gone on for probably hundreds of years. "The younger generation is entitled, doesn't do this, we had it so much harder.." Then when they get older and they get Medicare and SS, who is going to pay for it? The same people they complained about.
There are negative traits that are fairly exclusive to Millennials and younger. However, a sense of entitlement isn't one of them. In fact, I'd argue the Baby Boomers are the most entitled generation the country has ever produced.

I hate it when old farts try to dump on the younger generations.

It's fine, they just need to know it's the most tired take in the world. When kids make fun of old people, everybody knows it's nothing new. Every generation of old people acts like the young people are a special case or something.

There are negative traits that are fairly exclusive to Millennials and younger. However, a sense of entitlement isn't one of them. In fact, I'd argue the Baby Boomers are the most entitled generation the country has ever produced.

Millennials aren't the ones yelling at fast food workers and customer service.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Millennials aren't the ones yelling at fast food workers and customer service.
I'd say that's true across every age gap.

Are millennials the ones that start a new job at a 24 hour-7 day a week company and whine that they don't have weekends off after working there for 3 months?

Cause I've been seeing that a lot from some of the younger people we've hired in the past 3 years. You got into aviation...you work for a company that operates 7 days a week 24 hour a day....you work with people that have been here 20+ years...and you think you should have a work schedule with Fri-Sat-Sun off when you've been here a few months and are barely out of training.

It's fine, they just need to know it's the most tired take in the world. When kids make fun of old people, everybody knows it's nothing new. Every generation of old people acts like the young people are a special case or something.
Yes, the "these kids these days" act has been done as long as multiple generations of humans have walked the earth together. However, I do think that every generation has some certain specific traits that are more prevalent in that generation than others. A lot of the negative traits applied to Millennials, entitlement in particular, you see at every age. I think that most people, of any age, are fairly entitled.

I think a couple of negative traits that are more prevalent among Millennials is their sensitivity (they take everything personally) and they don't handle adversity well. They largely have their parents, Boomers by and large, to thank for that, which is funny because Boomers themselves are far less sensitive and I think are more willing to fight through adversity than their children are.

There are also some positive traits I think you can ascribe to Millennials more than previous generations too. I think that Millennials are more entrepreneurial than Baby Boomers were when they were the same age, while at the same time they don't derive as much of their self-worth from their "job" or what they do for a living. Stereotypically, if you give a Baby Boomer a nice salary, corporate perks, a corner office, and a nice sounding job title, they think they're hot s**t and that justifies their existence as a human being. Boomers stereotypically value being really important to the company they work for. Millennials don't think in the same way, and that doesn't mean Millennials are lazy and don't want to work. I think that's actually a good thing.

Yes, the "these kids these days" act has been done as long as multiple generations of humans have walked the earth together. However, I do think that every generation has some certain specific traits that are more prevalent in that generation than others. A lot of the negative traits applied to Millennials, entitlement in particular, you see at every age. I think that most people, of any age, are fairly entitled.

I think a couple of negative traits that are more prevalent among Millennials is their sensitivity (they take everything personally) and they don't handle adversity well. They largely have their parents, Boomers by and large, to thank for that. There are also some positive traits I think you can ascribe to Millennials more than previous generations too. I think that Millennials are more entrepreneurial than Baby Boomers were when they were the same age, while at the same time they don't derive as much of their self-worth from their "job" or what they do for a living. Stereotypically, if you give a Baby Boomer a nice salary, corporate perks, a corner office, and a nice sounding job title, they think they're hot s**t and that justifies their existence as a human being. Boomers stereotypically value being really important to the company they work for. Millennials don't think in the same way, and that doesn't mean Millennials are lazy and don't want to work. I think that's actually a good thing.

I think it's just people are sensitive about different things. Today the youth is sensitive about social justice. Older generations are sensitive about religion, their brand of patriotism, etc.

I do have the same perception that millennials struggle with adversity, but IDK if that's special to them or just more apparent these days because of social media. We're just more aware of stories of young adults who can't hack it. Same goes for their entrepreneurial spirit...social media has empowered them in that regard. I have a friend who cuts stones for jewelry-makers and her entire marketing plan is through instagram. My parents couldn't do something like that. I've had 3 post-college employers, and none of them offered pensions, so I think that's a big reason I never cared to be a "company man".

Long story short, it's less about kids changing and more about the world changing.

I think it's just people are sensitive about different things. Today the youth is sensitive about social justice. Older generations are sensitive about religion, their brand of patriotism, etc.
I think that was the case 25 years ago, when WASP culture truly dominated, but not anymore. Most people who used to fit into the category are resigned to the fact they've lost the culture war on things like gay marriage, 10 Commandments in courthouses, etc.

I do agree that people generally don't want their views challenged, but Millennials really, really don't want them challenged. To an even greater extent than the 75-year-old church attender. The 75-year-old church attender thinks you're wrong if you don't go to their particular church (or denomination) every Sunday, but they aren't "triggered" and demand those who disagree be silenced. It is a very, very common opinion on college campuses today that having the campus be a "safe space" (i.e., insulated from thoughts/opinions/viewpoints I disagree with) is more important than freedom of speech. It truly is an anti-freedom of speech viewpoint, albeit kind of a soft one (they don't not believe in freedom of speech per se, but they do think that not offending someone is a higher priority). That trend has been borne out in a variety of polls. On the other hand, I think even the most conservative Christians believe in freedom of religion, or the freedom to not practice religion at all, even though they absolutely think that the people who disagree with them are "wrong" and all going to hell.

Yes, the "kids these days" shtick is timeless, but I wonder if another thing in play today is the advent of social media? While there certainly are very positive aspects and uses of it, it seems like an overwhelming chunk of its usage is corrosive to society, if not downright destructive: trolling, bullying, the whole call-out culture thing, mob behavior, anonymous insulting, just general rudeness and mean-spiritedness, etc.

All of that ugly behavior is perpetrated by people of all ages and much of it anonymously, but I wonder if it's newness as a phenomenon causes it to be blamed on younger generations, Millennials and later?

I think that was the case 25 years ago, when WASP culture truly dominated, but not anymore. Most people who used to fit into the category are resigned to the fact they've lost the culture war on things like gay marriage, 10 Commandments in courthouses, etc.

I do agree that people generally don't want their views challenged, but Millennials really, really don't want them challenged. To an even greater extent than the 75-year-old church attender. The 75-year-old church attender thinks you're wrong if you don't go to their particular church (or denomination) every Sunday, but they aren't "triggered" and demand those who disagree be silenced. It is a very, very common opinion on college campuses today that having the campus be a "safe space" (i.e., insulated from thoughts/opinions/viewpoints I disagree with) is more important than freedom of speech. It truly is an anti-freedom of speech viewpoint, albeit kind of a soft one (they don't not believe in freedom of speech per se, but they do think that not offending someone is a higher priority). That trend has been borne out in a variety of polls. On the other hand, I think even the most conservative Christians believe in freedom of religion, or the freedom to not practice religion at all, even though they absolutely think that the people who disagree with them are "wrong" and all going to hell.

Only because they lost the culture war. Look at how much those past generations have controlled media and put restrictions on what could be broadcast based on their values. They made the entire country a safe space, not just their college campuses. Remember people that were triggered by 2 Live Crew? They did the same thing as millennials, lost, and went to the retirement home.

They banned drugs, including harmless drugs like marijuana, and started an expensive, counterproductive war to fight them. Past generations are worse than millennials in this regard.

Only because they lost the culture war. Look at how much those past generations have controlled media and put restrictions on what could be broadcast based on their values. They made the entire country a safe space, not just their college campuses. Remember people that were triggered by 2 Live Crew? They did the same thing as millennials, lost, and went to the retirement home.

They banned drugs, including harmless drugs like marijuana. Past generations are worse than millennials in this regard.
They demanded things like "Parental Advisory" be put on the CDs. They didn't demand that 2 Live Crew be disbanded, never allowed to publicly perform, and create disturbances at concerts so that they couldn't perform.

They demanded things like "Parental Advisory" be put on the CDs. They didn't demand that 2 Live Crew be disbanded, never allowed to publicly perform, and create disturbances at concerts so that they couldn't perform.

They did try to ban them from publicly performing, didn't they? Are you saying they didn't try to silence people they disagreed with? They ****ing banned books. Lady Chatterly's Lover, LOL

"Outside the courthouse, Navarro warned store owners, ”If you sell it, you’re going to jail.” Two days later, Charles Freeman, a Fort Lauderdale record-shop owner, was arrested for testing that proclamation. And after a defiant 2 Live Crew performed the banned songs at Hollywood, Fla.’s Club Futura the night following Freeman’s arrest, deputies arrested Campbell and Chris ”Fresh Kid Ice” Wong Won; a third member, Mark ”Brother Marquis” Ross, later surrendered to police. (All were acquitted when a jury rejected obscenity charges.) "

2 Live Crew sparked controversy five years ago

Re-read the first sentence to my original post that started this conversation
I think that was the case 25 years ago, when WASP culture truly dominated, but not anymore.
The "obscenity police" of today isn't Baby Boomers and older. It's young people, so are supposed to be the more tolerant, accepting group.

Boomer administrators pulled Daniel Tosh's mic at my college 2001ish because they didn't like his jokes.

Rage Against the Machine was banned for life in my buddy's hometown Spanish Fork, UT.

There are stories like this everywhere.

Re-read the first sentence to my original post that started this conversation

The "obscenity police" of today isn't Baby Boomers and older. It's young people, so are supposed to be the more tolerant, accepting group.

Yeah, because they lost. Just because they gave up doesn't mean they're different. Do you think millennials are less tolerant, in general?

My perspective is skewed, because all the adults I knew (as far as I knew) were fine with controlling decency in media when I was a kid, and I don't know any millennials that try to ban free speech on campuses. It's just people from news stories that I see, so I figure it's the minority, but I realize that's anecdotal.

Yeah, because they lost. Just because they gave up doesn't mean they're different. Do you think millennials are less tolerant, in general?

My perspective is skewed, because all the adults I knew (as far as I knew) were fine with controlling decency in media when I was a kid, and I don't know any millennials that try to ban free speech on campuses. It's just people from news stories that I see, so I figure it's the minority, but I realize that's anecdotal.
I think they are less tolerant, yes, and they are less tolerant in a different way than older generations. The Silent Generation (it wasn't really Boomers who were obsessed with this, hell, they were all smoking a ton of dope) wasn't as much about censorship of ideas as Millennials are. What Old School folks really didn't like specifically was obscenity. No foul language (e.g., cussing), no nudity, no depictions of sex, etc. They were/are prudes, for lack of a better term. They wanted those things suppressed, but it wasn't about suppression of ideas as much. If you had ideas that they disagreed with but didn't cuss, weren't "uncouth" in their presentation, etc., they'd still disagree with you, but they wouldn't demand you be silenced. People like my mother-in-law, basically. More concerned with appearances as opposed to how things actually are.

Millennials are not prudes. Far from it. However, they do have sympathies for the suppression of ideas that they disagree with. It is a very pervasive opinion on college campuses, and among younger people I know, that making college a space where nobody is offended is more important than making college a space where all ideas can be aired.

I think they are less tolerant, yes, and they are less tolerant in a different way than older generations. The Silent Generation (it wasn't really Boomers who were obsessed with this, hell, they were all smoking a ton of dope) wasn't as much about censorship of ideas as Millennials are. What Old School folks really didn't like specifically was obscenity. No foul language (e.g., cussing), no nudity, no depictions of sex, etc. They were/are prudes, for lack of a better term. They wanted those things suppressed, but it wasn't about suppression of ideas as much. If you had ideas that they disagreed with but didn't cuss, weren't "uncouth" in their presentation, etc., they'd still disagree with you, but they wouldn't demand you be silenced. People like my mother-in-law, basically. More concerned with appearances as opposed to how things actually are.

Millennials are not prudes. Far from it. However, they do have sympathies for the suppression of ideas that they disagree with. It is a very pervasive opinion on college campuses, and among younger people I know, that making college a space where nobody is offended is more important than making college a space where all ideas can be aired.

Just ask homosexuals about how tolerant older generations were about ideas...

My cousin is a lesbian who just came out. She went to her Mom's for Mother's Day and her Stepdad wouldn't even come out of his bedroom. Just think about what it was like 40 years ago.

VN Store

Back